U2 want to RE-rerelease BOY!!???!??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This would be great if they actually rework the songs to sound fresh and new. When they play the early stuff live it sounds identical to the album version...which is just wrong if they have actually progressed as a band. Reimagining the songs would be great...as long as they don't spend a year on it. Just rerecord Boy, October, and War in a couple of weeks each...preserve the live energy and don't over-do it. I would be interested to see what they come up with...

...After Songs of Ascent is properly released of course...

why would it be so bad? it's not lie the old version won't exist. I think it'd be really interesting to hear what they would sound like in the studio.

They have been saying this for years. How about going in & redoing the whole "Pop" album since they said they were rushed in putting it out.

Bono says a lot of things.....

Edge also mentions wanted to re-do every album in the Toronto Elevation full band TV interview.

On the logistical side, it would be a good excuse to sell another million copies of the album in the long term.

I guess they could release an album of revised tracks from throughout their career. Even if there are one or two that they could possibly add something to, obviously most of the songs are done and complete.... But really its a waste of time that takes them away from writing new songs.....

my thoughts too. and if they really want to perfect old tracks, that's what touring is for.

This.

If they want to perfect an album, record the whole thing live. I think EVERYBODY would be happy then. Great sets, more live material, and the band can fix up their perceived mistakes. They can even add overdubs later, since they always do that to their live releases, but it takes much less studio time.

This.

If they want to perfect an album, record the whole thing live. I think EVERYBODY would be happy then. Great sets, more live material, and the band can fix up their perceived mistakes. They can even add overdubs later, since they always do that to their live releases, but it takes much less studio time.

I don't think anyone would complain if U2 released:

Boy 2010 - Live
or
POP 2010 - Live

Maybe even bundle them together?

And it could be amazing to maybe get to hear them play a whole album in order! Also, they need to be doing more to capture their live energy on albums anyway, so this could be a great way to do it.... Hmm... I'm actually warming up to this, if they did it this way....

I always wanted to hear a rerecording of Pop after those rumors, this could be interesting, they handled the Boy stuff very well on Vertigo. I don't see either happening, but I kind of want to see both. It'd be cool if it was just a pretty quick project, tweak some stuff before going into the studio and rerecord it in order, done.

I think people that are so repulsed/freaked out about the idea of the band re-recording past works forget that this new version does not delete the original version from the CDs.

I for one would be interested in hearing how their music experiences and different perspective now might take older material in new directions. While I'd hate to see them neglect new ideas and songs, music is different from movies or books in that songs take on new lives and meanings throughout their livespan, both in concert and personally to the artists who create it.

Wasn't it a wise Irishman who said "F--- the past, we're gonna kiss the future!" I believe that can also be applied to a body of work not being held as sacred and unchangeable.

I say why bother reworking Boy? There's nothing wrong with the original version. It ain't broke, so don't "fix" it!

Besides, the songs were written by a teenager, about being a teenager. To hear a forty-nine year old man sing, "my body grows and grows, it frightens me you know" is kind of...well...:yikes:

Seriously, though, you can over-work and over-mix music. The raw, unfinished sound is what's so interesting about Boy; this was a new band, young men with raw power and energy and emotions. I just don't think it'll sound good after being polished to death.

I was kidding! I didn't like the remaster they did in the past and I think Boy it's a really great tune, there's no need to rework it! :up:

i say why bother reworking boy? There's nothing wrong with the original version. It ain't broke, so don't "fix" it!

besides, the songs were written by a teenager, about being a teenager. To hear a forty-nine year old man sing, "my body grows and grows, it frightens me you know" is kind of...well...:yikes:

seriously, though, you can over-work and over-mix music. The raw, unfinished sound is what's so interesting about boy; this was a new band, young men with raw power and energy and emotions. I just don't think it'll sound good after being polished to death.

lulz

i have heard, from credible sources, that u2 does plan to re record future albums. as in albums they haven't made yet , are going to be released now, re recorded from the future. I think in july thier 2011 album , Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious , is being re recorded from the future and released now. i have pre ordred it.

I'd love to hear them re-record some of their older material with a different approach. It doesn't change the fact that we'd still have the original albums that we know and love..we'd have alternate takes/approaches to old songs, which could be great.

I doubt it'll happen though...

I wouldn't mind a select set of Boy live shows, recorded for an album release. Like Van Morrison recently did with Astral Weeks Live at the Hollywood Bowl. But any George Lucas-esque attempts to addend the original album would be ludicrous.

i have heard, from credible sources, that u2 does plan to re record future albums. as in albums they haven't made yet , are going to be released now, re recorded from the future. I think in july thier 2011 album , Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious , is being re recorded from the future and released now. i have pre ordred it.

I say go for it U2...GO-FOR-IT!

I think people that are so repulsed/freaked out about the idea of the band re-recording past works forget that this new version does not delete the original version from the CDs.

I for one would be interested in hearing how their music experiences and different perspective now might take older material in new directions. While I'd hate to see them neglect new ideas and songs, music is different from movies or books in that songs take on new lives and meanings throughout their livespan, both in concert and personally to the artists who create it.

Wasn't it a wise Irishman who said "F--- the past, we're gonna kiss the future!" I believe that can also be applied to a body of work not being held as sacred and unchangeable.

This.

Two reasons... It'd give us fresh U2 without the 5 year wait for new material. They know the songs, just record them and release it.

Also, we would still have the old ones. I LOVE the sound they get on NLOTH, so full and rich, but not over-cheesed. Would do Boy great justice.

:lol:

I want to know if you typed out supercali... or copied it?? Also pre-ord(red) must have something to do with Product (Red) :hyper:

lol i copied it, but i also was texting people it. that i had to type of course. yea that should be out soon from (red). adam didn't like one of the tracks "get me a #2 with a coke if you go to mcdonalds" . he felt his bass was out of tune. thats all i know so far. the re-release will have a dvd of the video for GMA#2WACIYGTM" and some other stuff. also a remastered 8 track will be released.

I haven't bought into any of the 1980-1990 re-releases. For some reason, I can't stand the '80s recordings after having heard those same tracks live.

Back
Top Bottom