U2-track Qs for the Experts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Refugee
Sorry for the random nature of these Qs, but a few things I've been wondering:

1) I have the mp3 of that rare 1983 performance of 'Tomorrow' -- apparently somewhere in the UK. Where was it played, exactly?

2) I want to get another really good Joshua Tree tour bootleg, but not one of the following (which are all pretty common): a) Chicago, April '87 ; b) Denver, Nov. '87 ; or, c) Tempe, Dec. '87. Oh, also not Paris or Albany. So, besides those, which others are the best?

3) I'm aware of a noticeable difference in the 'Where The Streets Have No Name' single and the LP track, as well as between the 'Angel of Harlem' single and the LP track. Are there any other singles from Joshua Tree or Rattle & Hum that differ from the LP versions?

4) Kind of like #2 above, but are there are pre-Boy bootlegs (live shows) that are highly recommendable? The one I have is the Feb. 1980 one at Dublin National Stadium, which is interesting if not particularly tight. So, any better than that?

Thx.

(by the way, many of you have commented on the stupidity of my user-name -- 65980. This was actually an accident of typing when I absent-mindedly joined this forum. Any way to change it to another name without losing my whole account?)

2) "Burning Down Love" 6-12-87 London/Wembley (a soundboard recording). Only problem is that 40 is cut short on the recording at the end. This is really the best one outside of of the ones you have already mentioned. Highly recommended.
Another one is 11-18-87 Los Angeles, but it really doesn't compare to Wembley. However, it does have a very cool Running to Stand Still with a different vocal at the end. 3rd leg (NA) Bono sounds quite tired. 2nd leg (Europe) has the band in brilliant form.

3) The obvious one is All I Want is You.

Sorry, can't help you with the other questions.

Maybe as a Mod about the name change?

Oh, one more thing. AchtungBootlegs .com is a great resource. Fantastic really. No actual recordings there, but the amount of info there is beyond belief. :up:

2) "Burning Down Love" 6-12-87 London/Wembley (a soundboard recording). Only problem is that 40 is cut short on the recording at the end. This is really the best one outside of of the ones you have already mentioned. Highly recommended.
Another one is 11-18-87 Los Angeles, but it really doesn't compare to Wembley. However, it does have a very cool Running to Stand Still with a different vocal at the end. 3rd leg (NA) Bono sounds quite tired. 2nd leg (Europe) has the band in brilliant form.

:lol: I was going to suggest the exact same. London is really good. :up:

For the name change, perhaps PM Sicy? She can answer your question.

1) I have the mp3 of that rare 1983 performance of 'Tomorrow' -- apparently somewhere in the UK. Where was it played, exactly?

While it is quite a rare song, it was performed more than once during the War tour. So just saying you have a MP3 from 1983 isn't helping much. I have one version as a bonus track on a bootleg which is from Glasgow, Scotland, March 24, 1983. It might be the most common version, so I'd think you have the same one.

2) I want to get another really good Joshua Tree tour bootleg, but not one of the following (which are all pretty common): a) Chicago, April '87 ; b) Denver, Nov. '87 ; or, c) Tempe, Dec. '87. Oh, also not Paris or Albany. So, besides those, which others are the best?

I've stopped collecting bootlegs a while ago, so I'm not an expert. But apart from the ones suggested above, you might also consider the April 4 show in Tempe (called Governor Mecham & MLK). The second show on the tour with the premiere of With Or Without You (already with a snippet of Love Will Tear Us Apart).

3) I'm aware of a noticeable difference in the 'Where The Streets Have No Name' single and the LP track, as well as between the 'Angel of Harlem' single and the LP track. Are there any other singles from Joshua Tree or Rattle & Hum that differ from the LP versions?

The single version of All I Want Is You has the instrumental string coda chopped off. When Love Comes To Town also has a single version which is about 40 seconds shorter than the album version (it's missing a verse).

Thanks for the tips. Regarding my Q#3 above, I was thinking not of editing songs for length, but rather clear differences in mixing/recording as with 'Where The Streets' and 'Angel of Harlem'.

Although this is not part of the era you mentioned, the single version of "Pride" has an extra refrain - and it is NOT mixed like the rest of the song. As a result, Bono's "true" vocals come through. Some may like it for the power and rawness. Some may realize how much the studio helped mix his voice in that song. :) But it is a nice difference in mixing (just for that one refrain).

As for JT era boots, I always liked the one from Austin (1987). Bono does a great performance of "One Tree Hill".

4) Kind of like #2 above, but are there are pre-Boy bootlegs (live shows) that are highly recommendable? The one I have is the Feb. 1980 one at Dublin National Stadium, which is interesting if not particularly tight. So, any better than that?

Thx.

(by the way, many of you have commented on the stupidity of my user-name -- 65980. This was actually an accident of typing when I absent-mindedly joined this forum. Any way to change it to another name without losing my whole account?)

1) I believe (though not 100%) it is Dundee 26/2/1980

2) Syracuse (though I am not sure if this is the show you are referring to as Albany. I know they are closeish, but my American geography isn't that good.

Daly City Cow Palace Show 25 April 87 is fantastic too,mostly for the performance and the fact you get a great soundcheck with 2 unreleased songs

3) AIWIY is about 2 mins shorter single version. That is about it

4) 1979 - Cork Opera House. It has been cleaned up recently, so you should get a good version at u2start. Tullamor March 2 1980, Tullamor 11 May 1980, and Leixlip Castle 27 July 1980 are all ood pre-boy boots

5) PM Sicy

1. Tomorrow was played at least 24 times in the UK on the War Tour, so there are a lot of options.

2. I second the 25 April 1987 recommendation. Also, try 3 August 1987, Birmingham.

1. Tomorrow was played at least 24 times in the UK on the War Tour, so there are a lot of options.

2. I second the 25 April 1987 recommendation. Also, try 3 August 1987, Birmingham.

3rd Audust 87 was an incredible show. I was there!!!!! They played Silver & Gold AND Spanish Eyes and the crowd knew them both!!!. Still one of my favourite concerts.

Back
Top Bottom