U2 to Perform First Concerts at MSG Sphere in Las Vegas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the same thing. They had this massive stage with so much possibility but only really used it at its full potential for a few songs.

I only saw the 1st Leg Chicago on that tour and I came away pretty underwhelmed actually, but in fairness, the setlist for the 2011 leg with all the ZooTV stuff would have probably gotten a much different reaction from me.

Yeah, I saw 360 in Tampa. Cool show, but paled in comparison to any ZooTV, Popmart, Elevation, Vertigo that I'd seen before. Well... it may have been a little better than one of the Vertigo stops I saw. But it was the first time I didn't feel that sort of simmering energy at a U2 show. I think it was probably more the age of the audience than the band, but it makes a difference in the experience.

https://www.u2songs.com/news/bono_talks_about_2023_las_vegas_plans

At this point O’Connor asks Bono, “Would that be Vegas next year?” and Bono answers, “I hope it would be ready. I can’t announce Vegas, you’d have to shoot me. But if it happens, I can promise you it won’t be like anything you’ve ever seen in Las Vegas or anywhere ever. It is the most extraordinary…If it comes off, it’s grand madness by 100. It would centre around Achtung Baby, which we feel we need to really honor. But it will also, but we have to have the new songs out don’t we?” Asked if there would be a residence, Bono replies, “There’s no place yet, big enough. If we can build one for our audience. But it will be, for us to go, it have to be like no one has ever gone before. That sounds a bit Star Trek. Part Star Trek, part traveling salesman. I’ve got some books….”

It's clearly dangerous to announce (officially or not) a series of shows at a venue that's not finished yet. So I understand the hesitancy. But at the same time, tickets for shows like this are usually sold at least 6 months in advance. So not sure how that gets reconciled, unless the construction is done by the spring.

I've no doubt of his claim that it's going to be a mindblower, though.

It's clearly dangerous to announce (officially or not) a series of shows at a venue that's not finished yet. So I understand the hesitancy. But at the same time, tickets for shows like this are usually sold at least 6 months in advance. So not sure how that gets reconciled, unless the construction is done by the spring.

I've no doubt of his claim that it's going to be a mindblower, though.
It's likely that they have to pass a certain threshold of work before they can be confident on an open date.

The venue's exterior video walls have been announced as playing a big part in the first Vegas F1 race next November, so they must feel confident it'll be ready by then. The question would become whether it's open a few months before then or if it opens right around that time.

December is also an extremely dead period in Vegas - so I think they'd want to avoid that month.

My guess is that the aim is for September so that it can be wrapped before the F1 race, but I'd the building isn't ready, that it'll be pushed into January.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/enter...-garth-brooks-tickets-on-sale-monday-2672597/
Further backing up what has been rumoured before. The 29th makes particular sense as rumours mentioned 3 months (6 consecutive weekend shows takes us up to the 4th November), the Grand Prix is 2 weeks later so they’d want to be out of town before that too. I think they’re the dates to pencil into your diary 6 consecutive Friday and Saturdays starting 29th September. I hope to somehow be there.

U2Valencia is reporting the Pedro Andreu from Heroes of Silence will be filling in for Larry if needed for the Vegas shows.

Precisamente, hace unos días, Pedro hablaba para Aragón Radio, y elegía “Like A Song” como una de sus canciones para llevarse a una isla desierta. Además comentó cómo fue su primer encuentro con la banda en 1988 en el estreno de Rattle and Hum en Madrid, y una anécdota con Larry Mullen Jr, que además es uno de sus iconos al frente de la batería.

Para Pedro Andreu, Larry Mullen Jr es uno de los baterias que más le han influenciado en su carrera y "sería todo un honor acompañarlos en la Residencia de Las Vegas" afirmó. Pedro estuvo recientemente en Dublín, después de que U2 recibiera el Kennedy Honors en Washington.

guau

honestly i just want them to make an announcement one way or the other. i married a planner, and thus i need to have my schedule plotted out at minimum 18 months in advance - so we're already on borrowed time here.

Same here, my wife is trying to figure out plans for our summer vacation next year. Then I dropped the bombshell of "I may be traveling to Vegas in the fall... but maybe not...". She doesn't like that level of uncertainty. I don't either. A long weekend in Vegas is not a cheap endeavor, and requires some planning.

Every band does residencies in vegs :lol:

Whatever you say, Dave. He’s U2’s biggest bootlicker.

frozen-elsa.gif

MSG Sphere’s opening, return of Garth Brooks will light up 2023

By John Katsilometes
Las Vegas Review-Journal
1 day ago

The MSG Sphere can be likened to a wrecking ball, if that wrecking ball had an exosphere and could house 17,500 people. But the round fortress just behind Venetian/Palazzo is to demolish what we’ve come to expect from Strip productions.

This is why the $2.2 billion venue leads the most compelling entertainment topics and subjects entering 2023. Run it:

The Sphere

The big bubble is constructed primarily for concert productions and projected shows. U2 leads what we expect to be four artists in the U2 strata to play the venue, after the legendary rockers open the venue in September.

These shows are to be designed specifically for The Sphere, so we won’t see (for example) a Harry Styles one-off tour stop. Production costs for a single show are too high to turn a profit. But The Sphere can handle, say, “The Harry Styles Vegas Spectacular” (again, for example) over multiple weekends.

Such names as Styles, Billy Joel and Bon Jovi have been volleyed around The Sphere’s development.

Entering ‘23, U2 is the only one we feel confident about, anticipating 12 shows over six weekends, all Fridays and Saturdays. A caveat emerged in December, as drummer and co-founder Larry Mullen Jr. has said he’s not performing live with the band in ‘23. Still, we would wager U2 is going onstage, with our without him, to borrow a phrase.

But as music fans play who-can-fill-the-Sphere with these superstars, know that live-music events are just a segment of the venue’s programming. We’re feeling a custom-designed production-projection show, like about an hour long, to run daily throughout the year to be The Sphere’s anchor. Concert productions will fill out the schedule.

Billy Joel obviously has been doing a residency at the original MSG for a number of years now - to great success - so that makes sense.

Harry Styles also just did 15 nights at MSG recently (and i believe is managed by the same people who are rumored to be taking over U2's management) - so also lines up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom