U2 to perform at American Idol finale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldnt have known, as I dont really read the Spiderman thread.

so i have to suffer through an American Idol finale to watch u2 perform?

The article is conflicting, it says the finale airs the 23rd & 24th, and then it also says they will perform wednesday which is the 25th.

so which day is it? (i really dont want to have to watch more than one day...)

Here's the U2.com page. It's kind of funny actually.

u2comidolannouncement.jpg

so i have to suffer through an American Idol finale to watch u2 perform?

The article is conflicting, it says the finale airs the 23rd & 24th, and then it also says they will perform wednesday which is the 25th.

so which day is it? (i really dont want to have to watch more than one day...)

Sorry, the video and article are misleading, it is more to do with the Spiderman musical than the band, U2.com has said it is an appearance from Bono & Edge alongside the cast, whether B&E perform in any way or not isn't clear at the moment!

:lol: Wow.

U2.com correcting other sites on the internet.

I never thought I'd see the day... U2.com has got their shit together and finally became a decent website. Serious respect.

You guys think Larry told U2.com to clarify, Bono & Edge only?

I'm glad U2 is not performing on Idol. :up:

I may watch Idol for the first time in forever. Everyone around me is going nuts about that Scotty guy cause he's from our state. I don't really care and I have no idea who the heck this guy is nor do I have any interest to know. Idol has produced some of the crappiest music on the radio. Oh well that's what I got my iPod for.:D

I'm thinking Bono & Edge won't do much of anything except talk about Spiderman, alongside Reeve. Maybe Reeve will sing something but I don't know.

I may watch Idol for the first time in forever. Everyone around me is going nuts about that Scotty guy cause he's from our state. I don't really care and I have no idea who the heck this guy is nor do I have any interest to know. Idol has produced some of the crappiest music on the radio. Oh well that's what I got my iPod for.:D

I'm thinking Bono & Edge won't do much of anything except talk about Spiderman, alongside Reeve. Maybe Reeve will sing something but I don't know.

I hate American Idol, i have no idea why so many people like it. They consistently produce a horrible product year after year. Other than Karrie Underwood, whom i can sort of deal with because she is so hot, the rest of them are absolute shit.

AI is to the music bizz (and their "artists" are to radio) what Wal*Mart is to department stores. Its fucking bullshit. They have ruined the airwaves with the smell of rotting dead fish and the American public is stupid enough to keep coming back for more, week after week.

There is a part of me that wishes U2 would actually perform on that shit finale just to show them what a real fucking band sounds like, how its really done. Then there's another part of me that wants them to have absolutely nothing to do with it whatsoever. So i guess them just appearing on the show is sort of a compromise, a win-win or lose-lose, depending on how you look at it.

American Idol is for retards (with no offense to actual retards).

Read into it what you want but this post by SpideyonBway (the official Twitter site of the show) says they "perform".

Daily Bugle Alert: Bono, The Edge & Reeve Carney perform song from SPIDER-MAN on the season finale of AMERICAN IDOL – Wed @ 8PM EST on Fox!

I hate American Idol, i have no idea why so many people like it. They consistently produce a horrible product year after year. Other than Karrie Underwood, whom i can sort of deal with because she is so hot, the rest of them are absolute shit.

AI is to the music bizz (and their "artists" are to radio) what Wal*Mart is to department stores. Its fucking bullshit. They have ruined the airwaves with the smell of rotting dead fish and the American public is stupid enough to keep coming back for more, week after week.

There is a part of me that wishes U2 would actually perform on that shit finale just to show them what a real fucking band sounds like, how its really done. Then there's another part of me that wants them to have absolutely nothing to do with it whatsoever. So i guess them just appearing on the show is sort of a compromise, a win-win or lose-lose, depending on how you look at it.

American Idol is for retards (with no offense to actual retards).

My thoughts exactly. I've always hated American Idol. And I nearly puked when I listened to that Dave Cook guy covered ISHFWILF. :barf: I'd like U2... well Bono & Edge to show up and show everyone how it's done, and maybe they will. A ton of my friends like Idol and watch it a lot and so it would be kick ass for them to see the real musicians. And I don't know about anyone else but Reeve isn't all bad either, I have to give him some credit from some of the stuff that's on YouTube, I especially loved Rise Above.

Is Rise Above the one that has 2 people singing? (a female cast member?) Interesting if that's the one they're performing, but with Bono, Edge and Reeve performing it.

Wasn't it three people? Is that the one that had Reeve and the two female leads singing, and they did it on Letterman? I liked it; it was pretty.

Wasn't it three people? Is that the one that had Reeve and the two female leads singing, and they did it on Letterman? I liked it; it was pretty.

OH 3?? You're probably right. :hmm: So maybe Edge will actually be singing too. I guess we know who the 2 girls are. :D (I kid) That is, if they are doing that song. They haven't announced any of the lead female cast members as appearing, so it's intriguing.

Yeah, I mentioned that in the Spiderman thread. "Rise Above" uses three different singers. Reeve (Peter) sings the lead part, and then TV Carpio (Arachne) and Jennifer Damiano (Mary Jane) have solos, too. So I don't know how they'll break it down on Idol, if that is the song they're performing.

Yeah, I mentioned that in the Spiderman thread. "Rise Above" uses three different singers. Reeve (Peter) sings the lead part, and then Arachne and Mary Jane have solos, too. So I don't know how they'll break it down on Idol, if that is the song they're performing.

Oh sorry I missed that post somehow. (getting confused with this same conversation in 2 threads) I guess it could be that Carney may have made a mistake on the song they're performing, but that seems a little strange. Still, possible.

Clarifying it was Zane Carney from the band, not Reeve that posted it was Rise Above.

The people don't want arty U2 (like Unforgettable Fire or Achtung Baby), they want American Idol...why must they continue to degrade themselves?? Why must they promote such destructive, anti-music, anti-art, anti-life trash? It's fucking shameful. Before anyone starts internet-yelling about how it's not U2, it's Bono and Edge, the songwriters and spokespeople for U2, and to most people they (or just Bono) are U2.

It's pathetic.

The people don't want arty U2 (like Unforgettable Fire or Achtung Baby), they want American Idol...why must they continue to degrade themselves?? Why must they promote such destructive, anti-music, anti-art, anti-life trash? It's fucking shameful. Before anyone starts internet-yelling about how it's not U2, it's Bono and Edge, the songwriters and spokespeople for U2, and to most people they (or just Bono) are U2.

It's pathetic.

It's not U2!

They're promoting Spiderman not AI.

:yawn:

It's not U2!

They're promoting Spiderman not AI.

:yawn:

Holy fuck...being on that show is promoting it; it's validating it. It's like someone eating shit. As soon as it gets chewed and swallowed it becomes food.

Bono and Edge being on it is no different than U2 being on it. A song by them is being performed; they will presumably be involved, they'll be talking, they're representing U2 and it's sick that they're tarnishing what's left of U2's respectability.

But hey, give the people what they want.

They've already allowed their songs to be used, and Bono has appeared on the show.

On the one hand, I know what you're saying.

On the other hand, jeezum crow, it's hardly worth such outrage.

Holy fuck...being on that show is promoting it; it's validating it. It's like someone eating shit. As soon as it gets chewed and swallowed it becomes food.

Bono and Edge being on it is no different than U2 being on it. A song by them is being performed; they will presumably be involved, they'll be talking, they're representing U2 and it's sick that they're tarnishing what's left of U2's respectability.

But hey, give the people what they want.

I don't have the arrogance to be such an indie music snob anymore, I was in my college years... I outgrew it.

AI, for better or worse has a large audience, and the cast, crew, producers, etc of Spiderman can benefit from that audience. A lot of people's job are depending on audience. It's going to be a performance from Spiderman by the cast and presumably Edge and Bono.

And no they will not be representing U2. No other band would we hold a side project(at least the logical people) as representing the band.

What's worse; getting paid by the Twilight films, or promoting a side project where hundreds of jobs are on the line with a cheesy competition show?

Once you're one foot in (Spiderman Musical) you may as well go all in (promote it on American Idol) then next year they can go for the Will.i.Am produced album, make it a soundtrack for Transformers 4, and tie it in with a Real Housewives of U2 Members series, and no-one will blink. Got to do it in stages.

On the other hand, jeezum crow, it's hardly worth such outrage.
That's the first time I've ever heard (seen?) someone say "Jeezum crow" in real life! Good phrase, though...should get more use. :up:
ANYWAY: I'm sure this AI thing makes perfect sense in Bono's mind...he's been talking near-obsessively about "getting back on the radio" for years now, so what better place to start than American Idol?

Back
Top Bottom