U2 to be taking a brake after North American shows? BBC report:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KUEFC09U2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Glastonbury Festival organiser Michael Eavis has said he hopes U2 will make it to the event in the future after the band were forced to pull out this year.

They withdrew after Bono injured his back, but guitarist The Edge did appear on Saturday with headliners Muse.

"He enjoyed the experience and he's had a taste of playing now so I'm sure the band are really keen to do it when it suits them," Mr Eavis told BBC News.

Stevie Wonder is due to close the show after a weekend of blazing sun.

Dehydration and sunburn accounted for most of the 3,000 cases seen by medical teams by 1100 BST on Sunday.

Two people died after suffering heart attacks on site.

They were a 46-year-old man from London, who was in the dance tent, and a man in his 70s from East Sussex.

Crime was down on last year, with 345 reported offences by 0900 BST on Sunday, compared with 363 in 2009.

Most were thefts from tents and drug offences. There have been 109 arrests.

The event is celebrating its 40th anniversary and Mr Eavis, who still runs the festival on his Somerset dairy farm, said he was "really proud of what I'd created".

Prince Charles visited The Green Fields at Glastonbury He said he had lined up "three really good headliners next year", but added: "I'm not telling you who they are."

Asked whether he would like U2 to appear in the future, he replied: "This is an ongoing conversation for next year."

The Edge "enjoyed the experience" of performing Where The Streets Have No Name with Muse on the Pyramid Stage, he said.

But the band may be taking a break next summer and the festival is having a year off in 2012, Mr Eavis added.

"So who knows? It might be three years' time."

The 40th anniversary year is likely to be remembered for the special guest appearances as well as the scheduled stars.

Football screens

As well as The Edge, Kylie Minogue joined The Scissor Sisters, Radiohead's Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood played a surprise set and Prince Charles took part in a walkabout.

Asked whether the prince's visit meant the festival was now part of the establishment, Mr Eavis replied: "I doubt it."

Football fans saw England beaten 4-1 by Germany Referring to the area's strong nonconformist tradition, he said: "We've been anti-establishment right the way through our history.

"That's why we've succeeded because we've got so many in powerful places locally, councillors, who have got that nonconformist tradition."

Many festival-goers watched England's World Cup defeat against Germany on Sunday.

Organisers were forced to find a second field to show the game on big screens after discussions with police.

An empty field outside the site was earmarked. The two designated football arenas accommodated 80,000 fans.

Opening the new field and providing toilets, screens and water cost £50,000, Mr Eavis said.

Listen to continuous Glastonbury coverage on BBC 6 Music and watch performances on BBC Two, BBC Three and BBC Four.

Sure does, just pointing out how some people like to try and make it all sound a little more dramatic that it actually is.

They'll probably change the producer for the new album at that time, remix Every Breaking Wave for 257th time, and scrap the other Songs of Ascent tracks. All well prepared for November 2013 release date. :)

I thought the US dates were to be re-scheduled for spring/early summer?

I hope they'll do Glasto next year. After that I'm sure they won't do any more tour dates. The tour will have lasted 3 years next year and they don't have a new album out so that'll be it for 360. Hopefully they'll concentrate on new music. And Bono has to be careful about his health, so a "break" makes total sense.

I hope they'll do Glasto next year. After that I'm sure they won't do any more tour dates. The tour will have lasted 3 years next year and they don't have a new album out so that'll be it for 360. Hopefully they'll concentrate on new music. And Bono has to be careful about his health, so a "break" makes total sense.

You assume they won't have an album out. But yes, I think they will need to rest a bit by then after touring NLOTH and then SOA.

Well the tour is about a year old now but only 4 months worth of concerts. By next spring the tour will be nearly 2 years old and only 6 months worth of shows.
They gotta get their money back on this stage somehow. The reason its the 360 tour could be thats how many years it will go on for:lol:

You assume they won't have an album out. But yes, I think they will need to rest a bit by then after touring NLOTH and then SOA.

There won't be an album out for the 2010 leg(s) of the tour, there may be an album out for 2011. We still don't know how many legs their will be between Europe and the re-scheduled US dates, IF there will be any (Australia, South America ... only rumours so far). So if U2 have time off between Rome and the first US date next year, there might very well be an album. If the tour continues throughout winter and spring, I really don't see a big chance for an album. UNLESS, of course, they're working on it now, which I doubt. Bono is busy with rehab and the preparations for the European leg of the tour are coming up, I don't really see any coherent album work going on right now.

There won't be an album out for the 2010 leg(s) of the tour, there may be an album out for 2011. We still don't know how many legs their will be between Europe and the re-scheduled US dates, IF there will be any (Australia, South America ... only rumours so far). So if U2 have time off between Rome and the first US date next year, there might very well be an album. If the tour continues throughout winter and spring, I really don't see a big chance for an album. UNLESS, of course, they're working on it now, which I doubt. Bono is busy with rehab and the preparations for the European leg of the tour are coming up, I don't really see any coherent album work going on right now.

I expect there will be an album this fall, perhaps while they are on tour.

We know for a fact that they have been working on the album for a long time, so they may not need ANY time to work on it AT ALL now. I imagine they are waiting for the fall because they know their albums make more money and are better received in the fall.

How do you get that? The tour started at the end of June 2009. Summer 2011 = 2 years from summer 2009.

Edge mentioned how it was "the right time" this year and that they would only do it next year if "it suited them". What about this year would have been "the right time" and "suited them"? They must think the ol' "Edmonton-Glastonbury-Minneapolis" run is a piece of cake. Seriously, next summer they'll probably be at home in Ireland, much closer than Edmonton, Canada.

I think after Rome they'll probably take 360 for an international run in 2011 and then close with the US dates or Glastonbury, and then a break. It only took them almost 3 years after Vertigo to get NLOTH & 360 up, so they've been nonstop. I think a well deserved break is needed, and then from there who knows..

Give me a heart attack why don't you ( the headline to this thread) :ohmy:

They take breaks after every tour..... nothing surprising. Permanent break is another story.:|

This!

I thought it was a 10 yr or permanent break that someone had a good rumor on.

Why is this news?

And why is this a thread?

Oh the drama. It's normal that they take a small break after touring

I have a feeling U2 will play Glasto next year but Eavis doesn't want to confirm it because otherwhise there will be a lot of U2 fans there.

I expect there will be an album this fall, perhaps while they are on tour.

We know for a fact that they have been working on the album for a long time, so they may not need ANY time to work on it AT ALL now. I imagine they are waiting for the fall because they know their albums make more money and are better received in the fall.

Let's hope so. I also want a new U2 album out better sooner than later :up:

How do you get that? The tour started at the end of June 2009. Summer 2011 = 2 years from summer 2009.

Summer 2009, Summer 2010, Summer 2011 = 3 years
And we still don't know if they'll tour the Southern Hemisphere in between.

Oh the drama. It's normal that they take a small break after touring

I have a feeling U2 will play Glasto next year but Eavis doesn't want to confirm it because otherwhise there will be a lot of U2 fans there.

That's my feeling as well :pray:

I must admit though, my earlier observations after watching the DVD performance and the farewell vibe I got from it ( I am very intuitive) has me worried some. But like I said above they take breaks after tours all the time....... BUT, (not trying to stir the drama, just an observation) during the course of the Vertigo tour they knew exactly where they were headed with the 360 Claw idea in the works. Personally it's hard for me to phathom another BIG idea that could possibly compare to 360 and the Claw.
Does U2 have it in them to go away and "dream it all up again" ? as they did w/AB.
Maybe they will go in reverse and play small venues...since BIG and bad is what is expected of them. That would be amazing.:drool: Can you imagine the stampede?
Or maybe they will come back under a pseudo name hahaha!!

If there is one thing that is giving me cause for hope it is ...never underestimate a determined stubburn Irish man. Who knows what other crazy ideas he has rolling around in his head? I hope for more as I am sure you do too! I just have a feeling this break, if much of one at all will be longer than we think just for the shear fact that they have to dream it up again. :hmm:

I must admit though, my earlier observations after watching the DVD performance and the farewell vibe I got from it ( I am very intuitive) has me worried some. But like I said above they take breaks after tours all the time....... BUT, (not trying to stir the drama, just an observation) during the course of the Vertigo tour they knew exactly where they were headed with the 360 Claw idea in the works. Personally it's hard for me to phathom another BIG idea that could possibly compare to 360 and the Claw.
Does U2 have it in them to go away and "dream it all up again" ? as they did w/AB.
Maybe they will go in reverse and play small venues...since BIG and bad is what is expected of them. That would be amazing.:drool: Can you imagine the stampede?
Or maybe they will come back under a pseudo name hahaha!!

If there is one thing that is giving me cause for hope it is ...never underestimate a determined stubburn Irish man. Who knows what other crazy ideas he has rolling around in his head? I hope for more as I am sure you do too! I just have a feeling this break, if much of one at all will be longer than we think just for the shear fact that they have to dream it up again. :hmm:

:applaud: I love this post! But god....I hope they don't retire!

I honestly think they're going to keep on until they think they're done. I hope they don't stop as soon as 360 is over, it's too soon.

BUT, (not trying to stir the drama, just an observation) during the course of the Vertigo tour they knew exactly where they were headed with the 360 Claw idea in the works. Personally it's hard for me to phathom another BIG idea that could possibly compare to 360 and the Claw.

Nice point there. I'll honestly look ahead, but always know U2 will always surprise us with their productions. I mean, U2360 surprised me. Taking the 360 degree viewing applied to arenas and just put it in stadiums. Who knows what they will think of next. If they have to dream it up all again, well, they're running out of ideas. :wink:

"But the band may be taking a break next summer and the festival is having a year off in 2012, Mr Eavis added."

Is this the sentence that all the fuss is about? I took it to mean that the band is taking a break from Glastonbury next year, as in, they have other plans (North American tour, etc.). And, it says "may be," as in they don't really know. How are you all getting these ideas that they're quitting? Jumping to conclusions, anyone?

Interference = :panic:

I honestly think they're going to keep on until they think they're done. I hope they don't stop as soon as 360 is over, it's too soon.

Nice point there. I'll honestly look ahead, but always know U2 will always surprise us with their productions. I mean, U2360 surprised me. Taking the 360 degree viewing applied to arenas and just put it in stadiums. Who knows what they will think of next. If they have to dream it up all again, well, they're running out of ideas. :wink:

Yes, good point.

Live sets keep getting reinvented over time.

Who would have thought in 1987 that Steel Wheels or Zoo TV would be possible?

If anyone is likely to take it still another step forward, it would be U2 given that they basically invented the elaborate stadium spectacle.

Still, I don't see anything wrong with going back to the 4 guys and a stage in an arena idea like Lovetown for the next tour. No pressure to dream up something big the next time out.

Back
Top Bottom