U2 Take Cues From Kanye West, Jay-Z

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2BROTHR

Mirror Ball Man 2.0
U2 Take Cues From Kanye West, Jay-Z

MTV News, March 10, 2009

Jocelyn Vena

It takes an iconic band like U2 to know there's always something new to learn. They might have inspired a whole generation of kids to start garage bands, but

U2 are still being inspired by this generation's megastars, and they owe all these new lessons to hip-hop.

Kanye West said he was inspired by watching U2 perform and seeing the crowd's reaction. When writing "Graduation," he kept that response in mind, using fewer lyrics to make more of an impact so people could follow along. So has the band learned anything from West?

"Respect for the text, seriously, because we're musical [and] we come out of improvisations, and that's how we write songs," Bono told MTV News. "The melodies come out of those improvisations, and then eventually, I try to put into words what the music is telling me."

Learning from West is easy because he has what the rockers call "the whole equation."

"I think with Kanye, his understanding of what music, about what fashion, about what politics is -- they are all each other," Bono explained. "Understanding the whole equation is understanding where your song sits in the world. Kanye knows where it sits."

The guys learned about lyrics and melodies from another hip-hop superstar: Jay-Z. "This is similar for Jay-Z. He just zones in on the text and he hangs onto the text, the words. That's his life," Bono said. "I learned that my melodies -- because they were more operatic -- my melodies were spoiling my chances to use a certain vocabulary."

The guys have also worked with Black Eyed Peas mastermind Will.I.Am, whom Bono called "a very important voice...someone to watch."

"He's amazing, 'cause he sits at the Pro Tools and punches buttons for an hour," bassist Adam Clayton explained about the rapper's work ethic. "And at the end of the hour, you've got something that sounds great."

For Clayton, the most important lesson is also the simplest one: "It's all about the bass," he joked.

Why do they always take cues from people who are famous at the time. Except for The Edge referring to Secret Machines and, in the past, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, who could use the publicity, and Adam extolling Arcade Fire, which helped get me into the band, it seems that U2, especially Bono, is far too keen with name-dropping in order to ingratiate itself with celebrity, rather than being honest about more underground influences. I don't care what Bono says, Beyonce and the Black Eyed Peas suck. I remember he used to name drop Prince in the '80s, though Prince was awesome, and he referred to Pulp in a 1997 interview -- also awesome. However, he stops referring to people once they're out of the headlines; it's like Michael Jackson only chasing after child celebrities like Corey Feldman and McCaulay Culkin when they're young and famous and then tossing them out -- kinda. It's all very calculated and strange.

Why do they always take cues from people who are famous at the time. Except for The Edge referring to Secret Machines and, in the past, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, who could use the publicity, and Adam extolling Arcade Fire, which helped get me into the band, it seems that U2, especially Bono, is far too keen with name-dropping in order to ingratiate itself with celebrity, rather than being honest about more underground influences. I don't care what Bono says, Beyonce sucks.

You made this exact post almost word-for-word within the last week, didn't you?

At some point you will realize that U2's not your ideal band, and I hope you rest easier at night. For Christ's sake, not every single thing they do has to line up with your model of the universe.

Why do they always take cues from people who are famous at the time. Except for The Edge referring to Secret Machines and, in the past, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, who could use the publicity, and Adam extolling Arcade Fire, which helped get me into the band, it seems that U2, especially Bono, is far too keen with name-dropping in order to ingratiate itself with celebrity, rather than being honest about more underground influences. I don't care what Bono says, Beyonce and the Black Eyed Peas suck. I remember he used to name drop Prince in the '80s, though Prince was awesome, and he referred to Pulp in a 1997 interview -- also awesome. However, he stops referring to people once they're out of the headlines; it's like Michael Jackson only chasing after child celebrities like Corey Feldman and McCaulay Culkin when they're young and famous and then tossing them out -- kinda. It's all very calculated and strange.
The above article is based on the MTV interview with Sway(?). He specifically asked Bono what he learned from those people.. I don't recall Bono dropping any names first.

The guys learned about lyrics and melodies from another hip-hop superstar: Jay-Z. "This is similar for Jay-Z. He just zones in on the text and he hangs onto the text, the words. That's his life," Bono said. "I learned that my melodies -- because they were more operatic -- my melodies were spoiling my chances to use a certain vocabulary."

And where's the melodies on NLOTH? I don't know much about Jay Z's music so I'll leave him out of this but what I look for music are melodies/catchy hooks and good vocals/ great voice, whilst I'll place the lyrics right at the bottom of what draws my attention to music :shrug:

he guys have also worked with Black Eyed Peas mastermind Will.I.Am, whom Bono called "a very important voice...someone to watch."

"He's amazing, 'cause he sits at the Pro Tools and punches buttons for an hour," bassist Adam Clayton explained about the rapper's work ethic....

Oh yeah. That's really fucking amazing :rolleyes:

^Guy who speaks my own language

I can tell you specifically where I think Bono did copy Jay-Z. Let's not forget here....Bono and Jay-Z do hang out. There are pictures to prove it.

On ATYCLB I noticed there there was a lot of over dubbing for emphisis by Bono on certain lyrical parts. Jay-Z is incredibly known for this style in his rapping.

We aren't just talking about harmonious singing together at once. I'm referring to several Bono's singing the same thing at the same time on the record.

As for the Pro Tools with Will.I.Am...... I mean.....someone has to know the software and how it works right? It's not as if Adam knows how to use Pro Tools.

On ATYCLB I noticed there there was a lot of over dubbing for emphisis by Bono on certain lyrical parts. Jay-Z is incredibly known for this style in his rapping.

We aren't just talking about harmonious singing together at once. I'm referring to several Bono's singing the same thing at the same time on the record.

That's odd because not so long ago Steve Lillywhite said that the first time they used overdubbing for this purpose was on the HELLO HELLO bit on the chorus to give it a lift. Maybe he was lying.

All over the place, it's filled with beautiful often subtle melodies...:drool:

Well myself (and many others) can't hear them. That's the most important thing for any song.
There are thousands of engineers and producers that are
crazywife.gif
right now... You don't think it takes skill to record and produce?

I don't care about him using pro-tools I just don't get his enthusiasm for something that is not unusual.

Well myself (and many others) can't hear them. That's the most important thing for any song.
I've really only heard one or two people mention this and they were usually people who have only given it one maybe two listens. This album is a grower, especially for those that are looking for obvious hooks right off the bat...

I don't care about him using pro-tools I just don't get his enthusiasm for something that is not unusual.

I'm not sure what this means. Singing isn't unusual but lots of people get enthusiastic about certain people singing...

Back
Top Bottom