U2 songs you hated but now like or even love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Playboy Mansion. At first I felt some of the lyrics were too topical: Michael Jackson, OJ, and that that would render the song dated before it got out of the gate. As for the music, it just seemed to wash by. It felt like a throwaway song.

I've really come around on it though. It's a slinky, slouching, half drunk by the pool in the hot sunlight kind of song. The lyrics are half silly, half serious boozy musings you might have as you sip champers and waste a summer afternoon away. Love the backing vocals and the drums as well. Fine stuff by the band. Very melodic and catchy.

Playboy Mansion is an aural time capsule. They just threw a bunch of shit in there that was getting a lot of media attention and assumed it would sound hideous eventually in order to illustrate the point about the ephemeral quality of a materialistic society, particularly in relation to the incomprehensible vastness of eternity. Musically, it shows them thinking far outside the box as well. Good song.

The idea behind Playboy Mansion is about 538,912 times stronger than the execution of the song. Perplexing offering.
Surrender is a song I didn't think much of at first, but now like a lot.

Back
Top Bottom