U2 shows that never were.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
The other night I saw Kings of Leon in Columbus. Really good show, they seemed to have finally grown into a decent arena band (although Caleb needs to talk to the crowd more.) But I was thinking about how they cancelled an entire US tour after only 3 shows in 2011, citing "exhaustion".

That got me thinking about U2 cancelling shows. They have cancelled VERY few, given their long career. I'm trying to think of some examples.

- Cotillion Theater, Wichita, June 7th 1983- Cancelled after they added the show last minute in Boulder, CO on June 6th, to cater to the people who couldn't go to Red Rocks, or those who didn't go because they heard on the radio the Red Rocks show was cancelled.
- Amsterdam, Dec 19,20, 1989- Rescheduled into 4 shows in Rotterdam a few weeks later in January.
- Raleigh, May 29th, 1997- Cancelled due to damage of the Popmart screen, never attempted to reschedule. Reports of only around 20,000 tickets sold.
- Philadelphia, June 9th, 1997- Cancelled shortly after going onsale due to poor sales for this 2nd show in Philly. (The first show the night before sold out).

Of course most of us remember in recent years the Aussie/NZ/Japan/Hawaii 2006 leg being postponed from March/April to Nov/Dec, and the 2010 US leg being postponed until 2011.

During Vertigo Tour, I remember some rumored dates that never happened; Sept 26- Indianapolis
Sept 29-30- Calgary

There was a 2002 European stadium tour rumored that never happened, and a South America tour rumored for later in the year.

In Popmart, there were supposed to be additional shows in New York (5 total), Philly, Los Angeles, Boston, Rotterdam, London, Paris, Mexico City, Melbourne, Sydney and Tokyo. Also, Popmart was rumored to have shows in Singapore, Cairo and New Zealand that never happened. Promotors were trying to get U2 to play Basel, Switzerland on September 23rd instead of Sarajevo.

Zoo TV was looking into playing shows in more eastern european countries. Estonia, Finland, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Austria, Serbia, Greece. Only Austria and Hungary actually took place.

On Joshua Tree there was a "Rest of the World" leg to take place in early 1988. This got postponed to early 1989, and then finally took place in late 1989. Also, before the Tempe Rattle and Hum taping dates in December 1987 were announced, U2 were rumored to be playing in Buenos Aires on December 20-21.

The October tour was supposed to be a ROW leg in late 1982, playing in Japan, New Zealand, Australia, and believe it or not, INDIA. Japan saw U2 on the War tour, NZ and Aus on the UF tour, and India has STILL never seen them.

Anybody got any others?

If I'm not mistaken, the start of TUF tour was postponed, including some cancellations, because the band had trouble finding good arrangements for a number of those songs (which, let's face it, were much more challenging to play live than anything on War).

On a side note, with the exception of Pride and Bad, I never thought they really nailed the atmospherics of TUF songs live, and while it's my personal favourite, it's the one U2 record where I prefer the studio versions to the live ones.

The "planned" Elevation 2002 tour went to hell when Australian dollar either collapsed or got too high.
And just doing Southamerica wasn't viable.
And they had songs and wanted to work on them, and so we got that 2002 alb... oh wait

The "planned" Elevation 2002 tour went to hell when Australian dollar either collapsed or got too high.
And just doing Southamerica wasn't viable.
And they had songs and wanted to work on them, and so we got that 2002 alb... oh wait

HAHA, so true! I remember there was a strong rumor that these were going to be co-headlining shows with Oasis. Why U2 would need to co-headline with Oasis is beyond me. Vertigo and 360 tours showed us that they can definitely sell out these venues on their own. Here's the dates, from the interference archives.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands - July 19-20, 2002 (Ajax Arena)
Gothenburg, Sweden - July 23, 2002 (Ullevi Stadium)
Brussels, Belgium - August 1, 2002 (King Baudoin Stadium)
Zagreb, Croatia - August 9, 2002 (Hipodrome) OR August 15 (Dinamo Stadium)
Vienna, Austria - August 12, 2002 (Ernst Happel Stadion)
Sarajevo, Bosnia - August 18, 2002
Nice, France - August 20, 2002
Marseilles, France August 22, 2002 (Stade Velodrome de Marseille)
San Sebastian, Spain - August 24, 2002 (Anoeta Stadium)
Saint-Denis, France - August 29, 2002 (Stade de France)

Oslo, Norway - Valle Hovin Stadium (Summer 2002)
Switzerland - Expo 02 site (summer 2002)
Gelsenkirchen, Germany - July/August, 2002 (Schalke Arena)
Stuttgart, Germany - July/August, 2002 (Canstadter Wasen)
Hannover, Germany - July/August, 2002 (Niedersachsenstadion)
Munich / Mannheim, Germany - July/August, 2002
Prague, Czech Republic - Summer, 2002
V2002 Festival, England - August 16-18, 2002
London - Summer, 2002 (Hyde Park)
Portugal - August 24, 2002 (Alvalade Stadium)
Madrid, Spain - Summer, 2002 (Bernabeu Stadium)
Barcelona, Spain - July/August, 2002
Italy - Summer, 2002
Mexico City - October 2002
South America - October 2002

Great thread. Over on U2gigs we have some cancelled dates listed (naturally they are the ones in the tour listings that are struck out), but it's not comprehensive. If I were to put energy into it, I'd only add shows which were officially announced, maybe even only those for which tickets went on sale.

The October tour was supposed to be a ROW leg in late 1982, playing in Japan, New Zealand, Australia, and believe it or not, INDIA. Japan saw U2 on the War tour, NZ and Aus on the UF tour, and India has STILL never seen them.

I was under the impression this was for the War Tour, not the October Tour, i.e. that the Japanese leg of War was meant to also include Australia, New Zealand, and India. That's why the UF Tour began in New Zealand and Australia. Just stunning they've still never visited India.

On a side note, with the exception of Pride and Bad, I never thought they really nailed the atmospherics of TUF songs live

Not even ASOH? The live arrangement was amazing.

And Wire could be pretty fiery live.

Yeah the Aussie dollar was in the shit in 2002, around US$0.50 at the time. We had a serious drought of international tours in the first few years of the 21st century for that reason. I believe somebody here - Earnie Shavers? - mentioned that they even looked into organising some sort of festival tour of five or so bands with U2 as the headliner to spread the financial burden but couldn't make it work.

On the Vertigo Tour, they were originally planning to bring the arena version to Australia and New Zealand. The Popmart Tour sold so badly in Australia that they were rather cautious initially and not sure if they could do stadiums for Vertigo, and in New Zealand, even ZooTV had sold poorly compared to Lovetown, which goes some way to explaining why the proposed Popmart gig never happened. The plan was 4x Melbourne, 4x Sydney, 2x Brisbane, and also a rumour of 4-5x Wellington (this was before the Vector Arena opened in Auckland). Of course, given how well Vertigo and 360 ultimately did in stadiums down here, they'll probably never play arenas here ever again, which is shit. If the Wellington rumour had come true, they would've been U2's smallest full tour concerts since the Point Depot gigs on Lovetown - the TSB Arena holds a maximum of only about 4,500 people.

Of course, given how well Vertigo and 360 ultimately did in stadiums down here, they'll probably never play arenas here ever again, which is shit.

Here in Santiago we have a great arena, almost world class, for up to maybe 16.000 people, but unless Brazil and Argentina get something like that, we're screwed, so over here, unless something happens, it will always be stadiums. I love stadiums concerts, but it would be nice to see U2 in an arena.

But who knows? Paul McCartney came here in 2011 and sold out the Estadio Nacional (unlike 1993... weird), and it seem he's coming back now for 2 Arena shows.

Another one I thought of was Indianapolis on 11/19/1997. After the Columbus Popmart show, I was begging my parents to take me to Indy (I was only 15, and they said NO anyway.) Not sure if it was cancelled due to poor sales or what the deal was.

Back
Top Bottom