U2 should make a Reggae / Dub Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhill

Refugee
After listening to the Baby TTTYAATW and Everybody loves a Winner I am convinced U2 should do a Reggae album.

No, I'm not kidding. Maybe not for the next album, but still.

F--k relevance.

(also consider the Rub-a-Dublin version of DTYGTTown including how crisp Mullen's drumming was and how well that style fit Bono's vocal.)

I really think it would be outstanding...a lot of fun to listen plus Bono's tendency for "throwaway" / slightly corny lyrics would fit perfectly in that context.

Edge would bring a shimmer to it, Larry would be great in this style, and Adam is exceptional at coming up with catchy grooves!

I try not to discount entire genres of music even if I don't tend to care for it.

And I try not to completely dismiss something I haven't even heard.

But I have to say, if they announced they were doing this, I would be less than thrilled.

I try not to discount entire genres of music even if I don't tend to care for it.

And I try not to completely dismiss something I haven't even heard.

But I have to say, if they announced they were doing this, I would be less than thrilled.

Art that gets the most attention / is the most powerful seems to always polarize opinion (like U2 themselves.)

I'm not sure if that's just a random general comment, or if you're saying that reggae/dub is art that gets the most attention and is the most powerful.

(Not that I'd have anything to say in response either way.)

I'm not sure if that's just a random general comment, or if you're saying that reggae/dub is art that gets the most attention and is the most powerful.

(Not that I'd have anything to say in response either way.)

Well...not a comment on reggae/dub..and not a random but a general observation.

oh GOD!!!!!!!!!

now I want to hear U2's own version of the song Monkey Man! (even thou its more Ska sound, LOL)

FUK! I can imagine Bono in a Hawaiian shirt and shorts and sandals and no shades on, singing that on a beach somewhere while dancing up and down like he does in the I Will Follow vid.

:D

The only way that I think they could get by with making a reggae album would be if they collaborated with someone else and changed their name, like they did with Passengers. If they tried to do it just as a U2 album, there would be a huge risk of sounding like old white guys trying too hard to be cool.

if U2 tried it though, it'd probably sound pretty naff....and the obligatory bob marley cover makes me cringe just thinking about it

It would sound like early Police, probably, but with Bono's voice.

Not that it's necessarily a bad thing..I dunno it might be fun for a song or two. I'd like to hear what they'd come up with ie not covering someone else's song.

Snippets of Exodus and Get Up, Stand Up reaches my reggae quota.

I'd vote for an album of surf songs.
wave.gif

"Everybody's gone surfin',
surfin' I-re-land."

Back
Top Bottom