U2 Pop - HONG KONG mixes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super Yo

New Yorker
https://vimeo.com/106698635

Richie Smyth:
Early days on the Pop album Paul needed a piece to show the record company what was coming down the line. i shot the band recording and mixed it with B-Movie footage. Howie B came in as vibe master and Flood and Nellee gave me very early mixes to work with. The last footage from Cuba was shot by the late great Donal Gilligan.
i shot on super 16mm and Super 8mm over 2 days.

That is so awesome. I live the finished Mofo, but I wish I also had that version!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Really cool. That early version of Playboy Mansion is lovely. Seems like they intended to made a straight-up groove album. I'd loooove to hear more of those early mixes.

Daydream of the moment:

A Pop box set containing the album that was set to be delivered in August 1996. Those mixes, that sequence. I have a feeling, based on their behaviour since then, that that was the first time they got cold feet and felt the need to add some accessable anthems for the masses. The first commercial compromise. Pop still rules though!

Really cool. That early version of Playboy Mansion is lovely. Seems like they intended to made a straight-up groove album. I'd loooove to hear more of those early mixes.

Daydream of the moment:

A Pop box set containing the album that was set to be delivered in August 1996. Those mixes, that sequence. I have a feeling, based on their behaviour since then, that that was the first time they got cold feet and felt the need to add some accessable anthems for the masses. The first commercial compromise. Pop still rules though!

We need a "Baby Pop".

:)

Great sounds and footage! !!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using U2 Interference mobile app

All of those original takes sound so good. Especially Mofo and Miami. Playboy Mansion sounded a lot more distorted and atmospheric. Really wish they would've stayed with that material. Hope we get to see the light of day on some of this stuff.

We need an Uber Deluxe Pop!

WORD!!!

Not to mention a Zooropa release. I wanna hear all the stuff that didn't make the record. Early versions of IGWSHA, WUDM and HMTMKMKM would be worth purchasing alone!

WORD!!!

Not to mention a Zooropa release. I wanna hear all the stuff that didn't make the record. Early versions of IGWSHA, WUDM and HMTMKMKM would be worth purchasing alone!

It doesn't seem like they're going to ever do a Zooropa re-issue that would include early takes. The chances of those early takes ending up on something would be for a delux POP re-issue. But even a POP re-issue seems unlikely as a Zooropa one at this point.

Got a chance in two years for a Pop re-issue, otherwise only bet is in a huge box set whenever they retire.

Daydream of the moment:

:drool: God yes

100% with you on this.

Maybe this is where all of those rumors of "trip hop" started?

We need an Uber Deluxe Pop!

With the Alain Mikli 3214 included :up:

Yeah, that version of Mofo sounds incredible. I'm gonna go out on a limb here but I have a feeling that Pop was their most creative period (though not the best in terms of songwriting) and that a box set of alternate versions would be an essential addition to the catalog, more so than for any other album.

Wow, exciting!

Sounds like MOFO and Do you feel loved have the same origin, parts of Mofo sounds better than the messy result that ended up on the record, except the lame boring Larry drums :)

This version of Playboy Mansion sounds also more interesting than the forgettavle version on the album.

Can really see/hear from that Do You Feel Loved clip that they really did start with Alien Groove Sensation and went from there with the song. And it doesn't bug me one bit. That's probably the clip I'm most intrigued by from all of this.

Back
Top Bottom