U2 performing at inauguration! (rehearsal video posted)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ladywithspinninghead

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
According to this article anyway (Thanks Tony!):

Initial Talent Line-up Released for Lincoln Memorial Event | The Inauguration of President-elect Barack Obama and Vice President-elect Joe Biden

(I didn't see any mention of it in inauguration thread so thought I would add this separately since it's pretty official and that thread is purely speculation)

Mod notes:
Some working streams:
video HBO Canal en Vivo
audio We Are One: The Obama Inaugural Celebration : NPR Music

In U.S. check your HBO channel for a free broadcast

"Set list" so far
Denzel Washington - Speech
Bruce Springsteen and Choir - The Rising
Laura Linney and Martin Luther King III - Speech
Mary J. Blige - Lean On Me
Jamie Foxx and Steve Carrell - Speech
Betty LaVette and Jon Bon Jovi - A Change Is Gonna Come
Tom Hanks and Aaron Copland - Speech with Orchestra
Marisa Tomei
James Taylor and John Legend and Jennifer Nettles - Shower The People
Joe Biden
John Mellencamp - Pink Houses
Queen Latifah

I thought Bono likes to be bipartisan? he is really just a liberal suck ass

he's ready to suck up to another world leader, looking for $$

Try to understand though that the money is looking for is not for himself, it's to help save and improve the lives of the poorest and must vulnerable of our brothers and sisters, most especially children, who are the greatest victims of extreme poverty.

Also, U2 being a band with a political activism history steeped for decades in issues of racism, civil rights, equality, as well as with an optimistic perspective, it would be quite astonishing if they weren't moved by the election of Obama. Of course, I do completely understand if you disagree with his policies, etc. I'm just saying that how Bono/U2 relates with Obama, and many other politicians, is I think more complex than many people perceive it.

Who performed at Bush's inauguration? Just curious.

This is bad news for U2 "conservatives" like myself. I wish rock bands would stay away from politics.

Why is it bad news? OMG, get a grip.

I was able to grin and bear his picture taking with Bush the last 8 years. Deal with it.

Also, I just wanted to add that I think it's abundantly clear that Bono's own worldview is quite liberal, and thus he deserves a dear amount of credit for the level of non-partisanship that he has maintained for the last few years. For someone like Bono, keeping your mouth shut on anything must be excruciating. But it is necessary in his line of work, and he has really done it. That is, in my opinion, a pretty selfless thing to do; and thank god, because the field of development activism would be what it is today if not for him.

How long have you been following U2? You don't know where they stand?

Bono, recently has become "bipartisan" in the respect that he talks to all sides and he realizes he'll get more done by talking to them rather than just slamming them on stage.

This is bad news for U2 "conservatives" like myself. I wish rock bands would stay away from politics.

Why is this bad news?

And I think some people should stay away from politics...:shrug:

Also, I just wanted to add that I think it's abundantly clear that Bono's own worldview is quite liberal, and thus he deserves a dear amount of credit for the level of non-partisanship that he has maintained for the last few years. For someone like Bono, keeping your mouth shut on anything must be excruciating. But it is necessary in his line of work, and he has really done it. That is, in my opinion, a pretty selfless thing to do; and thank god, because the field of development activism would be what it is today if not for him.

:up:

he's ready to suck up to another world leader, looking for $$

Is he asking for money for himself?

Alright.

Bono is not the only one performing there. I don't think anyone should be surprised about his and the band's political orientation. They have been close to the Clintons for many years.

Has anyone ever heard the version of One from the special olympics where Bono changes the lyrics to welcome Nelson Mandela?

Worst. Performance. Ever.

If he pulls this at the inauguration, I'm going to puke.

I puked when Obama was elected, never mind the inauguration. That boob is more over hyped than Apple's products. All talk and big promises and I expect no action.

Why is this bad news?

And I think some people should stay away from politics...:shrug:

This is bad news for conservatives because conservatives ALWAYS get shafted in the music department. Musically, it's embarrassing to be a conservative. It's all about COUNTRY music for conservatives. I'm sure you'd feel the same way if primarily country music artist supported dems and other left leaning parties.

Good news in the sense that we get to hear Bono.

I think I'm already going to puke. This news is very disappointing.

I was hoping that Bono would avoid jumping on the Obama-worship wagon, but I guess that was too much to hope for. Maybe he is just another liberal celebrity like all the others.

Bono is not going to help his image in the eyes of the conservative politicians that he spent so much time on in the past trying to get them to help out with his poverty efforts.

Sackcloth and ashes, anyone?

bonobarackfeather.jpg

Obama: Whose my widdle Bonokins? :cute: *tickles with feather*
Bono: I am! :hyper:

(It's a fern in the background, the camera angle is perfect though.)

This is bad news for conservatives because conservatives ALWAYS get shafted in the music department. Musically, it's embarrassing to be a conservative. It's all about COUNTRY music for conservatives. I'm sure you'd feel the same way if primarily country music artist supported dems and other left leaning parties.

This should probably tell you something...:wink:

^ I think I'm already going to puke.

I was hoping that Bono would avoid jumping on the Obama-worship wagon, but I guess that was too much to hope for. Maybe he is just another liberal celebrity.

No liberal celebrity can avoid jumping on the Obama-worship wagon. Liking Obama is apparently the cool thing to do, like owning an iPod. Celebrities eat that shit up. Celebrities did it with the Clintons and this time will be no different.

I puked when Obama was elected, never mind the inauguration. That boob is more over hyped than Apple's products. All talk and big promises and I expect no action.

I think I'm already going to puke. This news is very disappointing.

I was hoping that Bono would avoid jumping on the Obama-worship wagon, but I guess that was too much to hope for. Maybe he is just another liberal celebrity like all the others.

Bono is not going to help his image in the eyes of the conservative politicians that he spent so much time on in the past trying to get them to help out with his poverty efforts.

This overdramatic hyperbole just makes you look silly...

Who performed at Bush's inauguration? Just curious.

U2 is definitely not a conservative band - and much of their music makes that pretty clear. do you plug your ears and go la-la-la-la-la when you hear their music??

Has anyone ever heard the version of One from the special olympics where Bono changes the lyrics to welcome Nelson Mandela?

Worst. Performance. Ever.

The only performance at the Special Olympics that I know of was in 03 and he didn't change the lyrics, and it was a pretty good performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom