U2 performed on the Late Late Show Tonight!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought they were playing it a bit slower than it should be.

Given Edge's well-documented habit of owning multiples of a guitar make, I wouldn't be shocked if he still has another one of his own.

I think he has a few of those. I know I have seen him play some with different color patterns. I wouldn't be surprised if he's got a collection of them. The one he played in Hollywood last year was same guitar, different color pattern.

Bono's voice is spot-on, but there's something off about the whole song thus far live. It's...well, it's not loud enough. Well, I guess that's an incorrect statement. The riff just doesn't hit HARD enough, or at least not as hard as on the album.

Well, I guess I can't really describe it. Just something is off. It's not as powerful as it should be, especially with that vocal performance.
I agree, it's not very energetic.

I think it was very energetic, very passionate performance, their best of this song so far. At least you can hear Bono sing properly this time, something that isn't always the case on the album version.

1. It's too slow. Both Bono and Adam are ahead of the rhythm, and it's dragging. As I said before, they need to find a better speed for this song live. Somewhere between album speed and the remix versions.

2. WOW what an interview. Probably one of the best I've seen in a long time. Candid, honest. I loved the comment from Adam where he said that Bono does his work on behalf of himself AND the band. The entire band agrees with his efforts. I know it's been said before but I feel it was emphatically stated by Adam and Larry this time. Maybe they read Interference :lol:

I'm curious what happened to that drum take which surfaced a few months before the album release. Where Edge said something like:''Great take Lardence.'' It would definitely speed up the song.

He's used a couple of different guitars on Magnificent sofar. Doesn't mean shit. Now if it's for a song like Streets, most notably on the Cannes performance, then yes it matters. Because of the tremolo bar. It can be achieved by 'shuddering' with the guitar neck on a les paul, but Edge didn't even do that. And during Vertigo of that performance it was very audible there were two guitars playing, that was obviously the album version save for the vocals.

On this case, I don't think he's faking. Just testing out different guitars to decide which one to take on tour.

The tip-off for the Vertigo performance is that he plays the studio riff as opposed to the live riff. I don't know if you need to be a musician to hear it, but Edge plays a different riff live on Vertigo than in the studio (he plays D-based power chords during the second part instead of E-based, which means they're higher sounding chords).

For me I thought it was an awesome interview, they really seem relaxed and in a great mood to start the next tour...the performance wasn't as energetic as most, but Magnificent is a pretty layed back song but it sounded really good. They're always better live for me; as songs will change/morph as the tour goes on.

Back
Top Bottom