U2 performed on the Late Late Show Tonight!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
According to an interview a few months ago (just before NLOTH was released), he's currently not smoking. Let me see if I can find which one it is...

Oh, here it is: Just the 2 of U - The Irish Times - Fri, Feb 27, 2009

Regarding MOS: “I’m not smoking now, but on occasion, you know ... that’s a real wine and cigarettes voice.”

I don't want to sound like a sap, but if that's indeed the case, then it's fucking good news.

Would it help if he reduced smoking after all these years ?

I think he's had singing lessons and remember those Vocal Aid pills in the '06 One video...

Bono's voice was strong for the last couple of years, with certain highs and lows, but overall it's been improving, and he surely didn't quit smoking completely. I think it helped that he had proper training and it's clear that he's better when he's in pracise, like rehearsing for the tour.

In the Q magazine from earlier this year it mentions Bono popping out for 'just one cigarette', so I think its more a casual thing now. What I've wondered is that during the Popmart era was there evidence of Bono smoking, or did he try cutting back a lot because of his vocal problems around that time?

I still heard too many synth sounds that were'nt played by the Edge.... and Edge sounded way way to similar to the studio version of the song.. almost as if he was only there acting, i have not seen the torrent, i hope i can be proven wrong here....

I still heard too many synth sounds that were'nt played by the Edge.... and Edge sounded way way to similar to the studio version of the song.. almost as if he was only there acting, i have not seen the torrent, i hope i can be proven wrong here....

That wasn't even U2, it was just robots...

I heard fewer synths than normal on this version... Edge was just playing the da-da-da-dada synth lines on his Les Paul (which was different than his normal Gretsch for the song, so it wouldn't sound the same as older live versions because of that), which he doesn't play at all in the studio version. It sounded to me like Terry was taking the night off.

They cheated. :sad: But it's only natural: 80% of all committed musicians do it.

I honestly didn't think the higher pitch sounded better. Dave Letterman performance was much better vocally imo. I loved the high energy though and a great interview :love:

^ I have to agree. Although his voice sounds strong and really great, my ears prefer the original pitch... something just feels slightly "off" for me here, certain notes don't sit right or something, I don't know. Still he sounds awesome though and again, really strong. Excited :hyper: :drool:

Was Edge playing live on the Late Late Show?

Noticed him using the Gibson, not the Gretsch... :hmm:

Bono's voice is spot-on, but there's something off about the whole song thus far live. It's...well, it's not loud enough. Well, I guess that's an incorrect statement. The riff just doesn't hit HARD enough, or at least not as hard as on the album.

Well, I guess I can't really describe it. Just something is off. It's not as powerful as it should be, especially with that vocal performance.

Noticed him using the Gibson, not the Gretsch... :hmm:

He's used a couple of different guitars on Magnificent sofar. Doesn't mean shit. Now if it's for a song like Streets, most notably on the Cannes performance, then yes it matters. Because of the tremolo bar. It can be achieved by 'shuddering' with the guitar neck on a les paul, but Edge didn't even do that. And during Vertigo of that performance it was very audible there were two guitars playing, that was obviously the album version save for the vocals.

On this case, I don't think he's faking. Just testing out different guitars to decide which one to take on tour.

Well he's given it away now so I guess it'll have to be the other one he uses.

Given Edge's well-documented habit of owning multiples of a guitar make, I wouldn't be shocked if he still has another one of his own.

Only listened to it once, but is it just me or does it sound a bit slower than the other performances?

Very good version though.

Bono's voice is spot-on, but there's something off about the whole song thus far live. It's...well, it's not loud enough. Well, I guess that's an incorrect statement. The riff just doesn't hit HARD enough, or at least not as hard as on the album.

Well, I guess I can't really describe it. Just something is off. It's not as powerful as it should be, especially with that vocal performance.

I feel the V same way,

Back
Top Bottom