U2 performed at Island Records party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They really need to stop promoting Bomb and start promoting NLOTH. We get it... Bono can't count to four in Spanish. But they've made some amazing stuff on NLOTH, and they seem to be denying its existence.

While I don't think Vertigo or One being played was a big deal in this case, I do think you bring up a good point. Between the lack of promotion after the album came out and the possibility of them only playing five NLOTH songs on tour, I'm wondering how much they actually like this album. :scratch:

If you only define promotion as shows played on the promo tour.

Well, I'd say that's the key aspect of the promotional bandwagon. The band themselves, playing their new material, were out there much more this year than they were in 2004, on both sides of the Atlantic (including their first live promo appearances for ANY album in France and Germany).

Well, I'd say that's the key aspect of the promotional bandwagon. The band themselves, playing their new material, were out there much more this year than they were in 2004, on both sides of the Atlantic (including their first live promo appearances for ANY album in France and Germany).

I would personally argue that the effect of the promo tour in the US outside of New York, Chicago, Boston, and Los Angeles was slim to nonexistent, with maybe the exception of the Letterman nights (even their effects were limited). iPod commercials tend to be much, much better forms of promotion, like it or not. Although the stadium tour probably won't hurt things, if people react well to the new songs played there.

Europe might be a different story, though.

I really hate when U2 plays songs I don't like at a gig I wasn't at nor will ever see!!!:angry:

I mean don't they know just seeing it in print will irk me?

:wink:

This bears repeating:
Plus I'm not sure an NLOTH song would have been entirely appropriate at an Island Records celebratory event, given NLOTH wasn't released on Island.

Lack of promotion? They did a good deal more to promote NLOTH than HTDAAB.

Promotion before but not very much after the album came out which is what I'm talking about. According to U2gigs, they've only done three performances after March 3rd (the U.S. release date) that included a NLOTH song. That's not a whole lot of promotion. I can't speak to the HTDAAB promotion after release but in regards to NLOTH just three performances after release isn't much.

It won't be long before there's so much U2 that some will be writing about U2 overload. There won't be American Idol or the Britian's Got Talent stufff, and the crashing economy (all though it's not over yet), to interfere, pun intended :wink: with the band people really love the most :up: (my opinion, of course).
Just hurry up, damn it! - "09 will be U2's year" :hyper: is almost half over.

I would personally argue that the effect of the promo tour in the US outside of New York, Chicago, Boston, and Los Angeles was slim to nonexistent, with maybe the exception of the Letterman nights (even their effects were limited). iPod commercials tend to be much, much better forms of promotion, like it or not. Although the stadium tour probably won't hurt things, if people react well to the new songs played there.

Europe might be a different story, though.

You have a point with the iPod commercial, but that sort of thing is an anomaly, and if you're going to base that as your benchmark of "sufficient" promotion, then every U2 album other than HTDAAB has suffered from a lack of promotion. NLOTH and ATYCLB's promo tours, for instance, are not dissimilar, and ATYCLB sure wasn't riding a wave from some digital music ad.

Promotion before but not very much after the album came out which is what I'm talking about. According to U2gigs, they've only done three performances after March 3rd (the U.S. release date) that included a NLOTH song. That's not a whole lot of promotion. I can't speak to the HTDAAB promotion after release but in regards to NLOTH just three performances after release isn't much.

If we talk about promotion in the US only, in the first two weeks of NLOTH's release, U2 played live seven times in the US, six of those on national television in the week of release (5x Letterman, Good Morning America), and then the seventh was a live set on national radio the next week.

By way of comparison, U2 did not play once in the US on or after the US release date of HTDAAB, 23 November 2004. They played live on SNL the Saturday before its release, and in New York on the 22nd, both on a truck through the city filming the ABOY video and then under the Brooklyn Bridge - a gig that was not broadcast live, and only appeared on TV in abbreviated form later on MTV Jammed. The only other instances of U2 even playing live in the US in late 2004 are at the launch of the U2 iPod in October, and on 18 November 2004 at the opening of the President Clinton Library in Little Rock - at which no HTDAAB songs were played.

As far as getting the band out there playing new music in the US goes, the NLOTH promo tour sure had more than HTDAAB.

Why are you all so upset that they played Vertigo? Who cares? None of us were there, we haven't even seen the performance :huh:

Keeping the above in mind, it seems a little ridiculous to get worked up over the lack of NLOTH tracks performed. I realize the promotion for NLOTH has been laughable thus far, but this was neither the time, nor the place to plug the album.

Just the same, it would be kind of fun to have another live version of NLOTH or Crazy Tonight out there to find.

This is not a NLOTH promotion gig, this is a gig to honour Island Records, and I think U2 did just fine.
Personally, I don't think playing a new song would have been exactly appropriate at this occasion.

NLOTH has been promoted enough and the upcoming U2 tour will be the biggest promotion of their new album.

They are busy with tour rehearsal right now. U2 love their new album and I'm sure they'll try and do their best to play great live versions of the new songs, but the gig we are talking about here is NOT a U2 gig and shouldn't be used for album promotion. The gig is to show respect to the history of Island and to the artists on stage that night. Why do you people think U2 appeared as surprise guests and it wasn't hyped in the media? They could play whatever they want at such a gig, it's not about them ultimately. I think it's nice they appeared and I cannot wait to see a video.

Maybe U2 finally realised that there isnt even close to a hit off the new album that they decided to never play them live again:lol:

In all honesty, im over Bono's look. Am I the only one who would like to see him with longer darker hair?

In all honesty, im over Bono's look. Am I the only one who would like to see him with longer darker hair?

Who gives a shit.

I want to hear music. He could dress in a Mickey Mouse costume for all I care.

I think Axver hit the nail on the head when he said that this was a gig that was promoting Island records, not really appropriate to promote an album that wasn't released with Island. Also as someone else said, this was an informal set, so best to play what the crowd want to hear.

i must ask again, why do some of you care so much about the promotion of NLOTH? does it actually affect how you like the album? really?

back to the topic, i would actually love to see Vertigo performed this way on the 360 Tour. :drool:

Any chance someone can post audio, I normally use listentoyoutube.com, but it's been disabled or do we have a site that's just as easy?

Any aud/vid of the duet with Bono too?

Back
Top Bottom