U2 on SNL Season premiere?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ultraviolet would be a dream come true, i'm honestly just hoping for NLOTH, or something besides Magnificent/Boots/Breathe/Beautiful Day. Crazy Tonight is a guarantee, i just hope it's not the cringe-tastic version they've been touring with :down:

Ultraviolet would be a dream come true, i'm honestly just hoping for NLOTH, or something besides Magnificent/Boots/Breathe/Beautiful Day. Crazy Tonight is a guarantee, i just hope it's not the cringe-tastic version they've been touring with :down:

Having seen the concert three times now (twice in Chicago and once in Boston), I would argue that the remix of "Crazy" is one of the highlights of the night! It's NOT "cringe-tastic" at all. My sister, who is a moderate fan at best, and saw her first U2 show ever in Chicago, said that was one of the best songs of the night. My friend, who is a die-hard and was worried about the remix as well, thought it was one of the best songs they did in Boston!

In other words, I don't think seeing YouTube videos or hearing bootlegs does the song justice - one has to be there to really experience it.

That said, this is probably why it will NOT work on SNL. In concert, Bono stays on the main stage while the other three members go roaming around. It works! The song rocks and it's got a groove - you can't help but move to it. But in the short time frame on SNL and with the smaller setting, that remix would flop (IMO). U2 would be better served to do the album version of the song (although I would be wildly impressed if they did not - talk about b*lls of steel!). Still, given the U.S. audience and the SNL audience, it's clear that songs like BD, "Elevation", "Vertigo", etc. work on SNL, while a remix - as rocking as it is - would not. Therefore, I predict a "normal" versiom of "Crazy" and perhaps "Breathe" (if they only do two songs). If they do three, they may pull out an oldie (I'd love for it to be "Bad" or UF).

I would shit bricks if UF was the second song.

"Some fires you can't put out. 25 years. This is the Unforgettable Fire." :hmm:

Well, U2 are playing it in concert and I've always felt NLOTH and TUF merge well together, so it's not unrealistic that they would do this song.

For their last SNL performance, U2 did "I Will Follow". So if they are allowed 3 songs, I can see TUF being a third choice.

But I predict "Crazy" and "Breathe" (as I suspect this will be the fourth single). And if there is a third, maybe "Magnificent" (but U2 do surprise - so TUF or something similar could be it).

i see Vertigo happening. Bono will introduce the song by saying:

"this goes out to all the wankers on Interference that sit on their computers and slam us all day."

:wink:

So, am I the only person who doesn't think it's entirely out of the question that U2 might either 1. confirm the 2010 tour on SNL or 2. announce the 2010 tour just beforehand in order to hype it on SNL?

i can't see it happening

they are going to confirm what has to be the worst kept secret of 2009...they are going to tour in 2010.

they'll come in, play 2 (3 songs at most) on air and that's it

one of the guys may say something to a fan while signing autographs and that could spread through the interwebs, but it probably won't be anything that hasn't already been mentioned in the 2010 thread.

-dan

i think they will perform 2 songs.
I'll go crazy .... (the new single)
and an old song (Beautiful day?)

just a thought....

since they're not promoting NLOTH any more, but the UF remaster is coming out, is there a chance that they premiere "Disappearing Act"?

Playing 7 NLOTH songs on the tour certainly strikes as promoting it, they might not be doing a lot of media appearances, but it seems like a forgone conclusion they'll play Crazy Tonight.

Playing 7 NLOTH songs on the tour certainly strikes as promoting it, they might not be doing a lot of media appearances, but it seems like a forgone conclusion they'll play Crazy Tonight.

wouldn't be surprised if they'd play Crazy Tonight since it's their current single, but i'm not talking about what U2 is playing on tour, i'm talking about SNL. new album promotion pretty much ended at the end of March.

Back
Top Bottom