U2 on Jimmy Kimmel Live! May 23

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of the first three songs from JT and The Little Things That Give You Away. Lock it in.

Axver said:
One of the first three songs from JT and The Little Things That Give You Away. Lock it in.
You're probably right. My wish would be Exit and The Little Things, unlikely as that is.

edit - i'm an idiot.

You're probably right. My wish would be Exit and The Little Things, unlikely as that is.

I know they have pretty fragile egos these days and appear on Fallon for a guaranteed handjob with a dollop of forced laughter for good measure but I wish they'd appear on someone else's show :doh: It'd just be nice to actually watch them do an interview instead of skip straight to the music because the host is an unbearable wazzock.

Isn't that exactly what they are doing, by appearing on Kimmel instead of Fallon?

Isn't that exactly what they are doing, by appearing on Kimmel instead of Fallon?

:doh: :doh: !!

...look, can we all just pretend I never posted that/edit that out? I always get the names mixed up and despite it saying Kimmel right there I still end up ranting about Fallon. Having a week of letting stuff boil up, clearly!

Wonderful news etc etc jesus :lol:

All the American late night talkshow hosts blur into one bland wanker backed by sycophantic laughter after a while anyway.

I agree but here is what is frustrating......

I fear that like with Invisible you have a great opportunity to promote a new album with a new song and then "nah, yeah, nah we are not going to release this song anytime soon"

No need to promote a tour that is already sold out. So the biggest "bang for your buck" is to promote new material. The whole "we just want people to know we are still around" is ridiculous.....release an good album and they will know you're around!

Here is to them playing Streets on the show, announcing that they are releasing a new single from the new album and Bono realizing that those purple glasses he had been rocking are the most horrendously ugly glasses he has EVER worn.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I agree but here is what is frustrating......

I fear that like with Invisible you have a great opportunity to promote a new album with a new song and then "nah, yeah, nah we are not going to release this song anytime soon"

No need to promote a tour that is already sold out. So the biggest "bang for your buck" is to promote new material. The whole "we just want people to know we are still around" is ridiculous.....release an good album and they will know you're around!

Here is to them playing Streets on the show, announcing that they are releasing a new single from the new album and Bono realizing that those purple glasses he had been rocking are the most horrendously ugly glasses he has EVER worn.

While this would be ideal, no chance.

My bet is Still Haven't Found (given the new 'single' from the re release), and either a more obscure JT song or Little Things. I just can't see them being brave enough to play Little Things unless it is part of a release, and I don't think they are brave enough.

Interesting though - the patter before they play Little Things has changed from "this is a song of experience" to "we have a new album and this is on it". Could a decision have been made in between shows?

Interesting though - the patter before they play Little Things has changed from "this is a song of experience" to "we have a new album and this is on it". Could a decision have been made in between shows?

The decision was to scrap the "Songs of Experience" album title and the i+e tour. They have a new album coming out ... fall 2018 at the earliest ...

In the meantime they take the TJT Tour to places like Lima and Bogota

The reason they are doing Kimmel instead of Fallon is because they will be in Los Angeles, which is where Kimmel's show is filmed. Had the tour began on the east coast, they would've done Fallon while they were in NYC. Those are the 2 most popular talk shows right now, and a good way to advertise themselves. Gotta sell those Pittsburgh tickets! ;)

But one of the "Joshua Tree Three", and probably not Streets, Little Things and one other random Joshua Tree song, possible Red Hill Mining Town because of the "single" they released.

I think I could see them playing 'The Little Things' and just not releasing it. They're already playing it every night (so far) and closing their stadium shows with it, despite it being unreleased.

I think the main purpose of playing this song is to make the point that they haven't dried up yet (as Bono put it after introducing the song at Santa Clara - "we're just warming up!"). That they still have a future, and faith in their new material, essentially that they're still relevant even if they're touring an old album.

They may want to make this point on TV, so maybe they'll perform it.

@Dan: I don't think those two statements of Bono's are mutually exclusive. I think they can be used interchangeably - wouldn't be surprised if he went back to calling it a "song of experience" at the next show.

I think I could see them playing 'The Little Things' and just not releasing it. They're already playing it every night (so far) and closing their stadium shows with it, despite it being unreleased.

I think the main purpose of playing this song is to make the point that they haven't dried up yet (as Bono put it after introducing the song at Santa Clara - "we're just warming up!"). That they still have a future, and faith in their new material, essentially that they're still relevant even if they're touring an old album.

They may want to make this point on TV, so maybe they'll perform it.

@Dan: I don't think those two statements of Bono's are mutually exclusive. I think they can be used interchangeably - wouldn't be surprised if he went back to calling it a "song of experience" at the next show.

Quite possibly - but it is undeniable that the second statement is far stronger in terms of confirming.

I too noticed that and think it's a very good sign.

YES!! Kimmel!! Sorry, but Fallon is middle of the road, sycophantic cheese compared to Kimmel. Kimmel is the host that is carrying on the mantel of Dave Letterman. Fallon is more Leno territory. :yuck: :sick:

Cant wait!

Hoping they play TLTTGYA- would be great to hear a pro sound performance and production of it. Loving that tune.

YES!! Kimmel!! Sorry, but Fallon is middle of the road, sycophantic cheese compared to Kimmel. Kimmel is the host that is carrying on the mantel of Dave Letterman. Fallon is more Leno territory. :yuck: :sick:

Cant wait!

Yeah Fallon is getting killed these days, he is perceived just as you say and overall he is 'too nice'. Although I like him, he does need to change it up a bit. The Trump episode is still haunting him, apparently.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/17/...fallon-tonight-show-interview-trump.html?_r=0

The reason they are doing Kimmel instead of Fallon is because they will be in Los Angeles, which is where Kimmel's show is filmed. Had the tour began on the east coast, they would've done Fallon while they were in NYC. Those are the 2 most popular talk shows right now, and a good way to advertise themselves. Gotta sell those Pittsburgh tickets! ;)

But one of the "Joshua Tree Three", and probably not Streets, Little Things and one other random Joshua Tree song, possible Red Hill Mining Town because of the "single" they released.

Yeah the geography makes sense....

Yeah Fallon is getting killed these days, he is perceived just as you say and overall he is 'too nice'. Although I like him, he does need to change it up a bit. The Trump episode is still haunting him, apparently.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/17/...fallon-tonight-show-interview-trump.html?_r=0

I should say that I don't dislike Fallon. He's fine. But he was sort of the next Leno-type show. Aimed at more middle America, older demo which is fine. I think he's funny and has added a lot of extra content that keeps it interesting. I don't really care about his thing with Trump. Not a big deal. I would hope that maybe the band would stop there for a night or two when they are in NY. Or even make good on their promise of a doing a week of shows that didn't happen in 15.
I just like Kimmel's humor more personally.

Back
Top Bottom