U2 not on the top 20 Spotify list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rennowba

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Top 20 Rock Acts Globally on Spotify:

1. Coldplay
2. Twenty One Pilots
3. The Beatles
4. Linkin Park
5. Red Hot Chili Peppers
6. Panic! A The Disco
7. Metallica
8. Arctic Monkeys
9. Queen
10. Fall Out Boy
11. Green Day
12. AC/DC
13. Pink Floyd
14. Blink-182
15. Paramore
16. Guns N’ Roses
17. Nirvana
18. The Rolling Stones
19. The 1975
20. Kings of Leon

Read more at Spotify reveal 'top 20 rock bands in the world' - NME

U2 not in the top 20 of the most listened to acts of 2017. Thought they would at least be in the top 20

I totally agree. It's odd the weakness of their streaming especially when they have such a large catalog to stream. Also, they were not in the top 50 highest money making music acts of 2016. And the list only accounted for sales, streaming, downloads and touring. Beat out by people like J. Lo and Pentatonix :huh: I know they didn't tour at all. So i guess it does make some sense. But still. Shows the lack of money from album sales and streams

strange.

Last edited:
Odd that they're not on the list, but at least they're projected to have the highest grossing tour of 2017.

What is the measurement period for this list? Or is this cumulative since Spotify started?

That is weird.

Doubt they're too concerned about it while on this huge tour.

Odd that they're not on the list, but at least they're projected to have the highest grossing tour of 2017.

What is the measurement period for this list? Or is this cumulative since Spotify started?

First half of 2017

I don't even know what spotify is and wonder if U2 fans, and casual listening U2 fans who are primarily between age 40 and 55 would be using something like spotify. If spotify is mainly a millennial or younger generation z tool for listening to music, then that may explain why they are not in the top 20.

I don't even know what spotify is and wonder if U2 fans, and casual listening U2 fans who are primarily between age 40 and 55 would be using something like spotify. If spotify is mainly a millennial or younger generation z tool for listening to music, then that may explain why they are not in the top 20.

I've heard of it, but can't get it to play on my rotary phone.

I've heard of it, but can't get it to play on my rotary phone.

You need to upgrade.
I got me one of these last week:

pushbuttonphone_by_80sunleashed-d9ks0xj.jpg

Coldplay just released a new EP today. Don't know if that figures into that data, but they've been trickling out tracks from it for weeks.

U2 could probably get more streaming action if they would release a couple of songs from SOE. People would be more likely to stream them and then wait to buy the album.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about it if Linkin Park and 21 Pilots are as high as they are. Surprised to see the Monkeys and Panic! quite high though.

I feel that U2 are still particularly "uncool" at the moment, having not fully recovered from the 2014 backlash and not really having any singles with significant staying power.

Another possible contributing factor might also be that U2 (more so than almost all other artists) are an "Apple" band. Given the band's long relationship with Apple, perhaps there has been some sort of gravitation of U2 fans towards Apple products and services, such as Apple Music. No stats to back this up though.

I read the article and it made me wonder if the ranking was total plays or just from part of the subscriber base... free or fee... probably both.

That said, I tried Spotify maybe 3 to 4 years ago and really disliked the interface... presumably it is better now, but for whatever reason I just thought it was clunky.

Who knows, maybe U2 fans are in a demographic that is too old to search and stream and have just ripped all their songs to their own devices and play locally so to speak... sample of one, but 95% of the time, I'm just on "shuffle my songs" and not streaming.

I'm 35, and I've never used spotify. I've never felt I was missing anything by not using spotify. I'm a busy working father of a 4 and a 6 year old, and I just don't really listen to music that much anymore. Don't even listen as I drive very much, as I live where I work. I don't know of many friends who actually do use spotify, most people my age are in the same boat.

I think the biggest thing is U2's fanbase don't use spotify. A lot of young people use it, and all young hipsters go through a Queen phase, hence why they're on the list. Of course The Beatles are. I'm kind of surprised The Stones are there over U2. But the 1975 and Linkin Park won't be filling football stadiums anytime soon, so there's that!

Coldplay are the current biggest band in the world, in terms of relevancy, presence and transferring that to concert ticket sales. Like their new direction or not, they are doing a lot of things right that a band should be doing in 2017.

Coldplay are the current biggest band in the world, in terms of relevancy, presence and transferring that to concert ticket sales. Like their new direction or not, they are doing a lot of things right that a band should be doing in 2017.

Somebody get word to Bongo and The Egg that they need to start sucking if they want to find the relevance they crave.

I read the article and it made me wonder if the ranking was total plays or just from part of the subscriber base... free or fee... probably both.

That said, I tried Spotify maybe 3 to 4 years ago and really disliked the interface... presumably it is better now, but for whatever reason I just thought it was clunky.

Who knows, maybe U2 fans are in a demographic that is too old to search and stream and have just ripped all their songs to their own devices and play locally so to speak... sample of one, but 95% of the time, I'm just on "shuffle my songs" and not streaming.

Or maybe their like me and continue to listen to music on compact disk played in a compact disk player, just like the first time I did that back in 1988. Given that many spend too much time on the computer/internet/phone as it is, there is no need to also be using those things to listen to music as well.

Somebody get word to Bongo and The Egg that they need to start sucking if they want to find the relevance they crave.

Pretty much!! It's sad, Coldplay used to mean a lot to me. I started college just as Parachutes was released. I saw them in a 2,000 capacity venue shortly after "Rush of Blood" was released, and it was fantastic! Chris wasn't flailing around like an idiot, he was either playing a piano or a guitar on every song. I knew they were going to be huge, you just knew they were gonna go all the way. Love everything up through and including Viva La Vida. Mylo Xyloto and Ghost Stories had their moments, but overall I didn't like the direction they were going. And I really just did not like their newest album AT ALL. Sometimes I think that I must feel the same way 80's U2 fans felt when they put out albums like Zooropa and Pop.

But, like I said, they are taking the necessary steps to be a successful, relevant band in 2017. Part of that is releasing music fairly often. Releasing EPs and one off singles between albums, and not taking 4+ years to release albums is a good start.

I turn 40 in a week. When I stream U2 it's through Apple Music.

My mom's 67 and uses Spotify. Dad is same age, but he's more a Google Play fan.

It's not the age demo; it's you.

Great. Glad I have not allowed myself to be manipulated into using functionally irrelevant technology unlike the sheep following masses.
Yea, that's what it is. The jump from records to 8 tracks to cassette tape to CD was all just the natural progression of things.

This is sheep following the masses, because you haven't bothered to figure it out.

Got it.

Back
Top Bottom