U2 not on the top 20 Spotify list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea, that's what it is. The jump from records to 8 tracks to cassette tape to CD was all just the natural progression of things.

This is sheep following the masses, because you haven't bothered to figure it out.

Got it.

Please, tell me what I or anyone is missing by listening to Songs Of Innocence on Compact disk in a compact disk player, as opposed to streaming it in some way( cell phone or computer) through an internet connection?

It mostly appears to just be something that is trendy. There is little to no change in relevant utility. Except perhaps in the fact that the consumer now has free or nearly free access to music that they used to have to pay the artist for. So I guess it is a legit form of stealing. Another bandwagon most people have jumped on. Music is free and I don't have to pay the artist who recorded anything.

Please, tell me what I or anyone is missing by listening to Songs Of Innocence on Compact disk in a compact disk player, as opposed to streaming it in some way( cell phone or computer) through an internet connection?

It mostly appears to just be something that is trendy. There is little to no change in relevant utility. Except perhaps in the fact that the consumer now has free or nearly free access to music that they used to have to pay the artist for. So I guess it is a legit form of stealing. Another bandwagon most people have jumped on. Music is free and I don't have to pay the artist who recorded anything.

Yea... nah...

Why stop at the CD, though? What did someone who never left records gain from using a CD?

For the same reasons - convenience and portability. I can take my entire music collection with me in my pocket. I don't have to worry about anything being scratched or broken. I can change albums while driving only by using my voice, without worry of digging through huge CD books that I used to have in my car in the late 90s/early 2000s. Everything is backed up in the cloud. If I change phones, or my phone breaks, or my computer crashes? I don't have to worry about repurchasing anything like when I'd wear out or break a CD. I just open the app, log in, and it's there.

And here's a news flash... Spotify? Apple Music? Google Play? They're not free. They're either a subscription based platform or they're heavily supported by ads, much like radio. This isn't Napster, and it's mind boggling that somebody still thinks that's what streaming is.

But hey... You're happy with CDs still. Good for you.

Last edited:
Great. Glad I have not allowed myself to be manipulated into using functionally irrelevant technology unlike the sheep following masses.

As someone who still buys CDs and loves my 160gb iPod:

Good lord.

Last edited:
Top 20 Rock Acts Globally on Spotify:

1. Coldplay
2. Twenty One Pilots
3. The Beatles
4. Linkin Park
5. Red Hot Chili Peppers
6. Panic! A The Disco
7. Metallica
8. Arctic Monkeys
9. Queen
10. Fall Out Boy
11. Green Day
12. AC/DC
13. Pink Floyd
14. Blink-182
15. Paramore
16. Guns N’ Roses
17. Nirvana
18. The Rolling Stones
19. The 1975
20. Kings of Leon

Read more at Spotify reveal 'top 20 rock bands in the world' - NME

U2 not in the top 20 of the most listened to acts of 2017. Thought they would at least be in the top 20

Yeah, relevance thingie is really working out for them by touring a 30 year old album.

Good to see G'n'R in there...the comeback of the year.

Yea... nah...

Why stop at the CD, though? What did someone who never left records gain from using a CD?

Better sound quality.

For the same reasons - convenience and portability. I can take my entire music collection with me in my pocket. I don't have to worry about anything being scratched or broken.

Most people listen to music when they are at home and never come close to listening to their entire music collection during the day. That little device you put in your pocket is more likely to be scratched and broken than a CD. Its also easier to steal where by you lose everything you put on that little sacred device. Every CD I have purchased since 1988 still plays like new.

Being able to take your whole music collection with you in your pocket is not very relevant since you are at best only going to listen to a tiny fraction of it while away from home.

I can change albums while driving only by using my voice, without worry of digging through huge CD books that I used to have in my car in the late 90s/early 2000s.

CD books were a bad idea. I had several friends that had their entire collection stolen because they thought it was convenient to take out of the individual cases and put everything into a book.

Your are only going to be driving for a limited time, simply bring the music you want to listen to with you. Plus, you can buy 6 CD disk player for the car if you prefer not to change disk on a trip. More than enough music for the average amount of time someone spends in their car on a typical day.

Everything is backed up in the cloud. If I change phones, or my phone breaks, or my computer crashes? I don't have to worry about repurchasing anything like when I'd wear out or break a CD. I just open the app, log in, and it's there.

I've never had a CD wear out or break, ever. That typically only happens if you are really sloppy and messy. So again, not very relevant at all.

And here's a news flash... Spotify? Apple Music? Google Play? They're not free. They're either a subscription based platform or they're heavily supported by ads, much like radio. This isn't Napster, and it's mind boggling that somebody still thinks that's what streaming is.

Most artist feel differently. Adjusted for inflation, a single back in 1985 cost 6 dollars in 2017 dollars. An album cost $25 to $30 dollars in 2017 dollars.

The artist does not make a single cent until their song has been streamed several hundred times. That amount you pay something like Spotify is a TINY FRACTION of what you would pay in 1985 for the same listening experience. As a result, the artist can't make any real money at all.

Try going for a year on only 1% of your current salary. Hey man, don't complain, your still getting paid.

But hey... You're happy with CDs still. Good for you.

I get the same listening experience you did when you listened to Songs Of Innocence. The difference is that I actually paid the band for their work, while you and others essentially did not.

Better sound quality.

Most people listen to music when they are at home and never come close to listening to their entire music collection during the day. That little device you put in your pocket is more likely to be scratched and broken than a CD. Its also easier to steal where by you lose everything you put on that little sacred device. Every CD I have purchased since 1988 still plays like new.

You have absolutely zero clue how these apps work, do you?

I could have my phone stolen, broken, blown up, chucked across the room, run over by a cement truck, or shoved up an elephant's ass - it has zero impact on my music collection. It's still there the next time I log in, from whatever device I choose to log in from. Having your hard drive crash or your phone get stollen has zero effect on anything.

I've never had a CD wear out or break, ever. That typically only happens if you are really sloppy and messy. So again, not very relevant at all.

Not relevant to you - highly relevant to most every 15-25 year old person I ever met, ya know, back when people used CDs on a regular basis.

Most artist feel differently. Adjusted for inflation, a single back in 1985 cost 6 dollars in 2017 dollars. An album cost $25 to $30 dollars in 2017 dollars.

The artist does not make a single cent until their song has been streamed several hundred times. That amount you pay something like Spotify is a TINY FRACTION of what you would pay in 1985 for the same listening experience. As a result, the artist can't make any real money at all.

Try going for a year on only 1% of your current salary. Hey man, don't complain, your still getting paid.

I also use self checkout at CVS and order shit from Amazon. What a job killer I am.

I get the same listening experience you did when you listened to Songs Of Innocence. The difference is that I actually paid the band for their work, while you and others essentially did not.

This is quite literally the worst argument you possibly could have made, considering as the band gave that fucking album away to the world for free.

I listen to Spotify in my car, I pay a subscription; I can listen to full albums or shuffle. It also recommends bands, so I get exposure to new music. It's quite useful, and it's not going anywhere anytime soon. Plus I don't have to lug around my cd collection.

Last edited:
You have absolutely zero clue how these apps work, do you?

Maybe, maybe not, since I have never used any of them. But that's not the point.

I could have my phone stolen, broken, blown up, chucked across the room, run over by a cement truck, or shoved up an elephant's ass - it has zero impact on my music collection. It's still there the next time I log in, from whatever device I choose to log in from. Having your hard drive crash or your phone get stollen has zero effect on anything.

I understand that there a ways of backing things up so you do not experience such a loss. Its an absolute requirement when you have everything on a single little device. Still its bizarre to watch the horror people experience when they lose one of these things as if they were an infant and just had their pacifier ripped out of their mouth.

Not relevant to you - highly relevant to most every 15-25 year old person I ever met, ya know, back when people used CDs on a regular basis.

Well, then I guess you only know sloppy/messy people. Provided you simply put the CD back in its case when done using it, they are not going to suffer any damage. That is why every CD i have purchased since 1988 continues to work just fine to this day. The Compact Disk is a very durable format, more so than records and tapes.

Again, I have hundreds of Compact Disk dating all the way back to 1988 and they all play just as well as the day I purchased them. The Compact Disk players though have had to be replaced a few times.

I also use self checkout at CVS and order shit from Amazon. What a job killer I am.

Technology is a job killer and the average consumer does not care. As long as its a good deal for you, that is all that matters. To hell with artist getting paid for their work.

This is quite literally the worst argument you possibly could have made, considering as the band gave that fucking album away to the world for free.

Actually its the best. U2 gave the album away for free because most people would have obtained it without paying for it anyway.

Despite the fact that they gave it away for free, you could still do the honorable thing and pay the band for their work. I mean, its what everyone used to do before technology allowed them to become thieves.

I listen to Spotify in my car, I pay a subscription; I can listen to full albums or shuffle. It also recommends bands, so I get exposure to new music. It's quite useful, and it's not going anywhere anytime soon. Plus I don't have to lug around my cd collection.

The only real value is you essentially pay the artist nothing and get to listen to anything you want. Its great for the consumer. Terrible for the artist. A system which suddenly allows the consumer to get something essentially for free, when they previously had to pay for it is obviously going to stay around. The impact though is that fewer people these days are willing to start a band and try to make it in the music industry.

Also, I wouldn't be reading about new artist and bands while your driving your car. That's not the time or the place to be doing that.

I don't think you lugged your entire CD collection around back in the day unless it was really small, or you foolishly took all your CD's out of the cases and slipped them into one of those books.

Again, the typical person is only going to be able to at most listen to handful of CD's on any given day while they are in the car, and probably less than that. So the alleged value of taking your entire collection with you is way overdone.

I thought bono2017 hadn't heard of Spotify...

At one time, that was true.

Now that's funny.

Even funnier is the lengths people go to, to justify using such devices.

Last edited:
The only real value is you essentially pay the artist nothing and get to listen to anything you want. Its great for the consumer. Terrible for the artist. A system which suddenly allows the consumer to get something essentially for free, when they previously had to pay for it is obviously going to stay around. The impact though is that fewer people these days are willing to start a band and try to make it in the music industry.

Also, I wouldn't be reading about new artist and bands while your driving your car. That's not the time or the place to be doing that.

I don't think you lugged your entire CD collection around back in the day unless it was really small, or you foolishly took all your CD's out of the cases and slipped them into one of those books.

Again, the typical person is only going to be able to at most listen to handful of CD's on any given day while they are in the car, and probably less than that. So the alleged value of taking your entire collection with you is way overdone.

I have now listened to a lot of artists that I would not have given them the time of day before, because I wasn't about to buy a full album to find out I only liked one song. The bands I do discover and like I will support.

Reading about new artists while driving? What are you talking about?!

I lugged around quite a bit, some of us spend a good portion of their day in a car.

Maybe, maybe not, since I have never used any of them. But that's not the point.

I understand that there a ways of backing things up so you do not experience such a loss. Its an absolute requirement when you have everything on a single little device. Still its bizarre to watch the horror people experience when they lose one of these things as if they were an infant and just had their pacifier ripped out of their mouth.

Lol Jesus Christ man... get a clue as to how these things actually work before you insult them. There isn't a single song on my phone permanently. Everything is stored remotely, and when you open the app you access the files via the cloud.

You're ripping apart a medium that most people use now without having the slightest clue as to how it actually works.

I have now listened to a lot of artists that I would not have given them the time of day before, because I wasn't about to buy a full album to find out I only liked one song. The bands I do discover and like I will support.

Reading about new artists while driving? What are you talking about?!

I lugged around quite a bit, some of us spend a good portion of their day in a car.

That's what a lot of people say as Artist lose money and drop out of the industry. The industry as a whole is only making about 20% of what it did in 2000. That is thanks to people obtaining music for free.

You seem to have said above that you use spotify in the car to find out about new artist. Your words not mine.

Even if your a taxi driver, you would not be able to listen to your whole CD collection in a single day. Each album will often contain nearly an hour's worth of music. I doubt you are in the car for more than 8 hours a day. You can carry 8 CD's in one hand.

Lol Jesus Christ man... get a clue as to how these things actually work before you insult them. There isn't a single song on my phone permanently. Everything is stored remotely, and when you open the app you access the files via the cloud.

You're ripping apart a medium that most people use now without having the slightest clue as to how it actually works.

Does not change any of the points I'm making. In this case you are using the internet to stream something. So what? Does not change anything about the points I made.

That's what a lot of people say as Artist lose money and drop out of the industry. The industry as a whole is only making about 20% of what it did in 2000. That is thanks to people obtaining music for free.

You seem to have said above that you use spotify in the car to find out about new artist. Your words not mine.

Even if your a taxi driver, you would not be able to listen to your whole CD collection in a single day. Each album will often contain nearly an hour's worth of music. I doubt you are in the car for more than 8 hours a day. You can carry 8 CD's in one hand.

You really are playing this one full on Trump aren't you?!

I don't listen to anything for free, so you're yelling at a cloud with that one.

And yes, I discover new artists in my car by listening to them. Novel idea, eh?

What if I don't grab the right 8 that morning? I don't always know what I'm going to be in the mood to listen to that afternoon.

Oatmeal-Your-vs.-Youre.png

You are correct that streaming services need to pay their artists fairly. ... and that's all I've got for this insane argument.

But jesus christ, dude. What is this bizarre high horse you're on?

I am An Old who doesn't understand Bluetooth that well and how so many people listen to music using that technology, but I'm not going to be a total condescending weirdo about people who do.

(So while I like Spotify to hear new-to-me artists to decide if I want to buy it, I'm doing it on my laptop and not my car because yada yada yada Bluetooth.)

Last edited:

So def not the percentage proposed in that post, but it's pretty striking nonetheless.

Considering inflation, population growth, and a massive proliferation in releases (anybody with a computer can make/record/release music now, for better or for worse - that's a whole separate discussion that's probably going on somewhere on this board right now...), you'd expect the music industry was raking in MULTIPLES of the revenue value when compared to prior eras. Look at pro athlete salary growth over the past 20 years. Different types of entertainers, but entertainers nonetheless.

Anyway, I think music is really important to people as a whole, but when you look at the monetary value placed on it on the whole, it suggests that music, as a commodity, is less valuable than it once was.

Of course, I think that graph is not considering concert generated revenue, who's has likely grown substantially from earlier eras. Maybe when considered together it's closer to break even. Even so, that would demonstrate a big change in listening habits, which is why I probably don't understand music fans who don't have/want any physical media. But they're as pumped up as I am, just different wants for different people/ages.

You really are playing this one full on Trump aren't you?!

I don't listen to anything for free, so you're yelling at a cloud with that one.

And yes, I discover new artists in my car by listening to them. Novel idea, eh?

What if I don't grab the right 8 that morning? I don't always know what I'm going to be in the mood to listen to that afternoon.

All I've said is that artist actually made money from their recorded work when purchasing CD's were the primary option for obtaining music. Now its optional as to whether the consumer pays the artist anything. In addition, there is not really any difference in listening to the new U2 album on CD as opposed to some device. The functional utility of these devices and formats that have replaced the CD are indeed questionable.

I seriously doubt what you pay whatever streaming service you use is equivalent to what you would be paying if you had to buy CD's at inflation adjusted prices. You're not paying these new artist anywhere near what they would have been paid in the 80s or 90s.

Last edited:

Yes if your looking at album sales in the United States alone, both physical and digital. Singles never made individual artist much money, even back in the 80s when the artist could sell a single for the equivalent of $6 in 2017 dollars. Yet today you don't have to spend $6 dollars to get a single song, just $1.29. Even less when its the case of unlimited streaming for a monthly fee.

You are correct that streaming services need to pay their artists fairly. ... and that's all I've got for this insane argument.

But jesus christ, dude. What is this bizarre high horse you're on?

I am An Old who doesn't understand Bluetooth that well and how so many people listen to music using that technology, but I'm not going to be a total condescending weirdo about people who do.

(So while I like Spotify to hear new-to-me artists to decide if I want to buy it, I'm doing it on my laptop and not my car because yada yada yada Bluetooth.)

All I've said is that artist actually made money from their recorded work when purchasing CD's were the primary option for obtaining music. Now its optional as to whether the consumer pays the artist anything. In addition, there is not really any difference in listening to the new U2 album on CD as opposed to some device. The functional utility of these devices and formats that have replaced the CD are indeed questionable.

I love my gym playlists.

Don't nobody need no damn gym playlist. You can just take 15 CDs to the gym.

You could always make a mix CD for the gym. But as U2 fans and album lovers, I'd assume you'd prefer to listen to the Unforgettable Fire as a whole without mixing in songs from another album let alone another artist music. Plus,I doubt you spend more than two hours at the gym, which could be covered by two or three CD's. The point here is that the new devices don't add very much when you think about it.

Yes if your looking at album sales in the United States alone, both physical and digital. Singles never made individual artist much money, even back in the 80s when the artist could sell a single for the equivalent of $6 in 2017 dollars. Yet today you don't have to spend $6 dollars to get a single song, just $1.29. Even less when its the case of unlimited streaming for a monthly fee.

Please show me a source that says that music industry revenues are down 80% from 2000. Your guestimates based on the relative value of a single are not very convincing.

Back
Top Bottom