U2 nominated for Best Original Song with ‘Winter’ ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm tempted to go see the movie tonight. I want to see it, but now I really want to hear the song in the new mix. I need to hear the song and more than the 1:30 that U2.com in order to make up my mind.

Jim Sheridan's such a talented film-maker, I just don't know why he went from 'In the Name of the Father' and 'In America' to working with 50 Cent and rehashing a couple year old movie, but his working relationship with Bono has been fruitful.

YouTube - Andrea Corr "Time Enough For Tears" with Gavin Friday

YouTube - Bono - In The Name Of The Father

:up::up::up::up:

The Oscar telecast is being directed by Hamish Hamilton, you think he'll balk at the chance of directing a U2 live shoot again haha?

The Oscar telecast is being directed by Hamish Hamilton, you think he'll balk at the chance of directing a U2 live shoot again haha?

I'm sure Hamish will find a way to film Winter to make look like they played Vertigo.

I just got back from the movie. The new "Winter", as you can probably tell from the U2.com clip, is a good deal different from the original version. The lyrics and arrangement are much smoother sounding, but all of the rockier elements from the original version are gone. The "Viva La Vida" style intro has been taken out as well. The "Ohhh Ohhh Ohhh" outro is still there, but Bono now sings "So glad you've come home" (or something to that effect) over it. The instrumental break that comes before the "At 21" line is gone, but you can still hear traces of it throughout the rest of the song.

It's really a beautiful, slow moving song. I'd place it above "The Hands that Built America." Not only that, but it fits the movie absolutely perfectly, especially with the lyrical changes Bono's made since the version we got on "Linear." I really hope it gets an official release sometime soon.

Oh, and by the way, Bono still feels like butter on toast.

I was just coming back to this thread to wonder if the Dallas clip survived in the new version. From what you said maybe yes but in traces throughout the song? After hearing the changes from u2.com I was hoping we were going to hear it more.

Does it play during a scene in the movie, like a background thing, or was it over the closing credits?

From what I could tell (I'm not sure with only one listen), it seems like they may have incorporated parts of the Dallas clip as a transition from the chorus to the verse. For these parts they also included hints of a kind of "marching drum" sound that fits the military theme of the movie.

The song starts playing just before the closing credits roll. It's a great way to end the movie IMO.

Thank you for the report :)

(I think I might like it more than the Linear version so far from what I heard on U2.com and from MEAT10AF has said. Can't wait to listen to the full song!)

Just heard the small clip on u2.com. I have to say, they have ruined what could of been a brilliant track. Removing all the main instruments and flattening it out spoils it. Its just another flat, dead u2 song, that has no hope of being played live.

Accordingly this is an improvement, its a big step backwards

Just heard the small clip on u2.com. I have to say, they have ruined what could of been a brilliant track. Removing all the main instruments and flattening it out spoils it. Its just another flat, dead u2 song, that has no hope of being played live.

Accordingly this is an improvement, its a big step backwards

a big step back to you? because some people actually like it belive it or not.

Yeah, and some people don't like it, believe it or not. Big flippin' deal, let people have their opinions, whether or not you agree with them, or whether or not you don't like the way they present their opinions.

:shrug:

CORI RAGE!!

Easy, easy...

restrain.jpg

Winter is over the closing credits. Bad is in a scene in the movie playing on a stereo in the background and the characters that Jake and Natalie play talk about the song and listening to it as teenagers.

I've never heard any leaks or whatever of Winter or anything about it, I don't keep up with that stuff around here. But I like it after hearing it at the end of Brothers. And I liked the movie too, very much.

After listening to the bootleg I can safely say that I am impressed with the song, from what I can hear. I'd love to hear it in good quality. :up:

My favorite parts are the opening and ending (love the falsetto and opera bits by Bono (maybe Edge, too, with the falsetto?) - fantastic delivery).

Still can't stand the chorus, though. Or the majority of the lyrics :barf: I really don't understand it - lyrics don't have to be stellar for me to enjoy a song, but "Winter" has got some doozies. I'm 99.978324% certain that Bono can do better (would be higher, but a couple "Bomb" selections would put that into question), so if this song will indeed be on the "Brothers" soundtrack, along with being pushed for an Oscar - by god, for U2's sake, I hope they tweaked a few things around.

At its core, "Winter" has the potential to be something special. As is, though... not so much. I think Eno was justified in being upset that the band spent forever working on Boots and just kinda gave Winter the... (wait for it)... boot (teehee). It deserves more of a gestation within U2's creative uterus (how's that for unsettling imagery).
So these were my thoughts on the demo version of Winter. Hmm, I wonder how it compares to the newer version...

Bono's falsetto
Opera

DISLIKES:
A few of the lyrics
The transition into the chorus (ughhhh...)

...And it looks like they scrapped a few of Bono's crappy lyrics (though he's still hot... like butter... on toast - I can picture Outkast singing that line ("shake it like a polaroid picture" redux)), vastly improved the in-your-face chorus that did nothing but detract from the emotional gravitas of the song (w/o a doubt, my biggest gripe w/ the demo).
However, Edge's strumming is gone (*sadface*), along with Bono's lovely falsetto (*sadfaceX2*)... the opera bit remains, though (*happyface*). Also, they've added a few things that make me appreciate Winter 2.0 more than its cheaper, inferior cousin (love the soft piano bit and the way the song just sorta drops after the chorus). Initially I vacillated on the "so glad you made it..." overlapping at the end, but after having given the song a few spins, I gotta say it's a nice touch (am happy the song's outro has ample breathing room, too).

So in short, I vastly prefer Winter 2.0 to its rough counterpart. I hope for sure they are nominated (and WIN this time... though to be fair, Eminem deserved it over THTBA *dodges oncoming debris*) at the Oscars (who else is giving them competition? Anything new in the Michael Jackson doc? Haven't heard the Radiohead song from New Moon... that might be a contender...).

Anyway, good job, U2 :up:

thissongshouldvereplacedstandupcomedy :madwife:

:D:D:D

U2 nominated for Best Original Song with ‘Winter’

I prefer the Linear demo. I know, I know the wonky Viva La Vida-esque intro had to go but it seems like V2.0 took most of the passion out of it. The new version sounds too subdued. They should release a Winter EP. But I'm probably hoping for something that will never see the light of day.

Thanks bonocomet!

--my computer's acting funny so I'm not going to download it now, I'll swap the audio in the morning.

The new version is nice, but I really miss a lot of the elements of the Linear Version...so I still have to say I prefer that version. Each one has a really different feel to it though, so it is interesting...

I'm one who liked the Linear version, but was just ecstatic about where I thought it could go if given proper attention. That said, they've clearly re-worked it, but I'm not wowed by the revision like I was hoping to be.

Structurally, this version is much better. Unlike the other one, it flows, it sounds finished. But I really loved the chorus in the previous version and was hoping they'd just put a simple verse-chorus-bridge structure around it. I guess I'm just a pop kid at heart.

U2 can be so frustrating in that regard. There are so many brilliant elements in their songs that they either don't recognize or don't flesh out. That said, they haven't completely destroyed the gorgeous heart of the song like they did with Breathe (don't get me started on that one). The heart of this song is still there, it just isn't as dramatic as before. I'll concede, however, that it probably fits the movie better.

Back
Top Bottom