U2 nominated for Best Original Song with ‘Winter’ ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Still no word as to whether the song has been reworked at all.

it doesn't even look like a soundtrack is being released for this film, so even if it has been reworked, it looks doubtful that we'll even get to hear it in full.

Here is a consideration ad

brothers.jpg

Nice seeing their name in consideration for the oscars again, I still have mixed feelings about it being for this song though. (Unless as discussed it's been reworked at least somewhat.)

according to a review at imdb, Winter plays over the end credits.. someone needs to check this out with a tape recorder in hand!

Still no word as to whether the song has been reworked at all.

This bit sounds encouraging in that regard:

Tobey, Jake, Natalie and Oscar: O 'Brothers' where art thou? | Notes on a Season | Los Angeles Times

"The end credits song, "Winter" by U2 could figure big time in Oscar, Globe and Critics Choice contests as well. Sheridan, who had previous experience with Bono on "In the Name of the Father" and "In America," says the band really took to the movie and worked on trying to get the song just right for about six months."

Of course, we can't say for sure that this was six months spent before the version we've heard or six months after.

This bit sounds encouraging in that regard:

Tobey, Jake, Natalie and Oscar: O 'Brothers' where art thou? | Notes on a Season | Los Angeles Times

"The end credits song, "Winter" by U2 could figure big time in Oscar, Globe and Critics Choice contests as well. Sheridan, who had previous experience with Bono on "In the Name of the Father" and "In America," says the band really took to the movie and worked on trying to get the song just right for about six months."

Of course, we can't say for sure that this was six months spent before the version we've heard or six months after.

good catch! i remember reading somewhere that the version we got for Linear wasn't the most recent version.

^That's semi-encouraging, although 'Winter' was mentioned in connection with Brothers last December, as the film has been finished since then...

If it's a different version then I'm really interested to hear it. I hope they improved it a lot.

*cough* watch Susanne Bier's Brodre first *cough* I love Jim Sheridan and David Benioff, and the cast, and U2, but this really seems like an unneccessary neutered copy of the 2004 film.

i'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't care all that much if it's a different version because i love the original version.

i'm still surprised that there is no soundtrack with "Winter" being released. it just seems so weird for a song to be nominated and not see any official release.

the movie is out tonight.. by next week, I'm sure one of us will have seen it, and we'll have some answers :up:

i'm still surprised that there is no soundtrack with "Winter" being released. it just seems so weird for a song to be nominated and not see any official release.

wait, it wasn't nominated yet right? when do the nominations get announced?

oops. sorry. i thought it had already been nominated.

so since there's no soundtrack, i wonder if U2 has any plans on officially releasing it, since i don't think "Linear" truly counts as an official release for "Winter".

That's ok, the title of this thread is also a bit misleading. And it's showing up in the ads for oscar nominee consideration. Now when :)wink:) it does get nominated, are they then allowed to do whatever they want with it? (put it on an album for example?)

Of course they are, it's their composition, and U2 Limited always retains their rights.

New clip, new mix.

Well, that wasn't my cup of tea. I realise this clip (on the official U2 site) is only a minute and a half, but that just felt deflated to me. I wonder if it picks up.

I'm tempted to go see the movie tonight. I want to see it, but now I really want to hear the song in the new mix. I need to hear the song and more than the 1:30 that U2.com in order to make up my mind.

What are the chances that U2 could play the song live at the Oscars or GGs?

Back
Top Bottom