U2 nominated for Best Original Song with ‘Winter’ ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I listen to Winter, these are the main things I that jump out at me, knowing it was a work in progress-

Greatness:
-The guitar during the chorus is fantastic. Nice and atmospheric but also has that classic U2 ring to it.
-Great bassline. It's simple and direct, which is par for the course with Adam, and still greatly contributes to the cinematic feel of the track. I wouldn't be surprised if much of the song was built around it.
-The lyrics in the chorus as well as the sound of Bono's voice in those sections.
-The variation between the different sections. The bridge is especially nice, I was really glad to hear that piece of music from the U2.com studio video end up somewhere.

Meh:
-The "butter on toast" lyric, among a few others in the verse sections.
-The transition from chorus back to verse is slightly awkward, imo.
-The ending feels very bare, but I do love the sound of Edge's muted strumming with the delay on it, simple as it is.
-The intro, though not because it sounds vaguely similar to part of a Coldplay song (I really think a lot of people take this comparison a bit far), more because the timing is slightly off which really annoys me for some reason. That and the fact that it sounds so "keyboard-ey".

Just my opinions. I'll be very interested to hear if a different mix is included on the soundtrack.

Odd man out here (I'm used to it)...I think "Winter" is better than the majority of songs on NLOTH (how can you not feel rapturous at the sound of Edge's guitar?). I look forward to it being on the BROTHERS soundtrack so I can stop having to rely on my audio rip from the LINEAR DVD...

I do hope they improve this song, but the main problem then is, they will overproduce it into a typical u2 2000's track. Take Magnificent for example, in its rare format it sounded awesome, then after converting it into an actual track, it turned into a typical u2 anthem. Sometimes its best to leave songs as they are, or head someone where different instead of turning it into a U2 anthem to make everyone like it all the time.

FBB is probably a good example of this, its an anthem, and different. But if you played it to a casual fan, would like it ? probably not. So aswell as being different, it needs to be an overall good song.

My favorite parts are the opening and ending (love the falsetto and opera bits by Bono (maybe Edge, too, with the falsetto?) - fantastic delivery).

Still can't stand the chorus, though. Or the majority of the lyrics :barf: I really don't understand it - lyrics don't have to be stellar for me to enjoy a song, but "Winter" has got some doozies. I'm 99.978324% certain that Bono can do better (would be higher, but a couple "Bomb" selections would put that into question), so if this song will indeed be on the "Brothers" soundtrack, along with being pushed for an Oscar - by god, for U2's sake, I hope they tweaked a few things around.

At its core, "Winter" has the potential to be something special. As is, though... not so much. I think Eno was justified in being upset that the band spent forever working on Boots and just kinda gave Winter the... (wait for it)... boot (teehee). It deserves more of a gestation within U2's creative uterus (how's that for unsettling imagery).

My only qualm with Winter is that the vocals sound a little roughly mixed, lacks a bit of clarity, though maybe it is just my download.

Linear is great, gives one a whole new perspective about NLOTH, and the flow of the album makes a lot more sense in my opinion. Even Stand Up Comedy seems to fit more appropriately when listened to in the Linear context.

Go to youtube!

You might be missing something very special. If you liked Mercy, you might like Winter!

Does that sound like a cheap cologne knockoff slogan?!!?

Dollar Tree here I come!

i love Mercy, can't stand Winter :D

well, we're a week away from the movie being out, and i still see nothing about a soundtrack being released. so even if Winter is a different mix, i'm not sure we'll any way of obtaining it.

I think Winter is a nice little track, evocative and delicate

the transition between the pre-chorus "the broken and bruised..." into the chorus "words will land on me, then abandon me" is unfinished, or awkward.. there's something not quite smooth about it.

I think Winter is a nice little track, evocative and delicate

the transition between the pre-chorus "the broken and bruised..." into the chorus "words will land on me, then abandon me" is unfinished, or awkward.. there's something not quite smooth about it.

:up: Yes your right. The whole song up to the broken and bruised bit has a very upbeat positive feel to it, and then it goes deep and dull, and it just doesnt fit in. The whole song needs to stay positive and upbeat, not going down loads of keys and to rusty guitars, just a sweet soft melody will do the song.

also, I'd love if the song began with an instrumental version of the bridge, instead of that synth line.

but whatever, it's still a far better song than I could ever write.

well, we're a week away from the movie being out, and i still see nothing about a soundtrack being released. so even if Winter is a different mix, i'm not sure we'll any way of obtaining it.

It could end up like 'The Hands that Built America'... the Best of 1990-2000 has one version.. the video has another version, and the movie contains yet a different version, all very similar except in some instrumentation.

It’s hot as hell
We’re like butter on toast

It’s hot as hell

It’s hot as hell

It’s hot as hell

It’s hot as hell

Winter is stunning and if it weren't for that, 'butter on toast' lyric it would be close to perfect. I'd take it over any NLOTH songs.

No way. Everything on NLOTH is superior to Winter which sounds raw, incomplete and ackwards at times.

Maybe they can work it out and make a good song out of it.

I don't mind the "butter on toast" lyrics so much, there are other things I don't like about that song.

I think it is an unfinished song, as starting point it seems great, as a finished version it's not more that Ok for me. Nevertheless if U2 enter the competition, I want them to win, I can't help it, I want them to win everything.

No way. Everything on NLOTH is superior to Winter which sounds raw, incomplete and ackwards at times.

Maybe they can work it out and make a good song out of it.

I don't mind the "butter on toast" lyrics so much, there are other things I don't like about that song.

Nothing wrong with raw sounding I don't think. Considering U2's tendency for overproduced material in the noughties to hear something raw and perhaps 'unfinished' seems refreshing. I'd take a rough diamond over an overpolished one.

Sometimes there's a difference between raw and unfinnished. Fast Cars sounded raw but finished. Winter sounds like they're not even quite sure how the song should be yet.

I think it is an unfinished song, as starting point it seems great, as a finished version it's not more that Ok for me. Nevertheless if U2 enter the competition, I want them to win, I can't help it, I want them to win everything.

QFT :yes:.

I am not a big fan of the song - listened to it quite a few times and aside from the instrumental opening, there is nothing else that I really like that much about it. Having said that, the song might be perfect for the movie.... and that's fine with me - I am just glad that the song didn't make the NLOTH cut.

Winter is a brilliant song. I have it in place of Stand Up Comedy on my version of NLOTH - it works perfectly...
WINTER is the opposite of brilliant. i still believe its a leftover from the disastrous HTDAAB sessions. its the compressed boredom of COBL, MD, YAHWEH, THTBA and VIVA LA VIDA.:down::down::down:

Back
Top Bottom