U2 nominated for Best Original Song with ‘Winter’ ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
also, i think why a lot of people are confused is because before the NLOTH tracklist was released, we were told that Winter would be featured on the Brothers soundtrack. then when the tracklist came out, there was a short period where fans and publicists thought that White As Snow = Winter. from what i understand, that's the only reason White As Snow was ever connected to the Brothers film. i could be wrong though. fuck me.

If U2 were to perform there, they should perform Winter since thats the song they're nominated for. Why would they play anything else? And it would be cool to have a live version of it regardless if it sucks or not. It could wind up being awesome, and maybe they'll play it on Leg 3. I like Winter. I just wish the strings towards the end of the song were more prevalent.

If U2 were to perform there, they should perform Winter since thats the song they're nominated for. Why would they play anything else? And it would be cool to have a live version of it regardless if it sucks or not. It could wind up being awesome, and maybe they'll play it on Leg 3. I like Winter. I just wish the strings towards the end of the song were more prevalent.

yep. i think, if anything, they've probably cleaned it up and mastered it. the mix will probably sound much better.

Winter, like Disappearing Act and Mercy, is potentially a great song. Beautiful beautiful melody, great intro and a decent vocal from Bono, interesting lyrics, but kind of meanders too much, definitely needs a bit of editing, but there's certainly a great song in there.
Natalie Portman is stunning, as hot as Scarlett Johannson and less pretentious.

WINTER is one of the worst U2 songs ever. its songwriting by numbers (viva la vida, cobl, miracle drug, yaweh, thtba). its just another poor attempt when everything has been done and there are no new ideas in the house anymore.
kick eno, lanois and lillywhite... give them the boot. i am still angry with the U2 output in the 00s:down::down::down:

It deserves more of a spot on NLOTH than at least 4 of the songs that did make it, Pez Being Boring and SUC(K)
especially.

gvox. i don't want to see you talk bad about Fez-Being Born ever again. i am so fucking pissed right now! :angry:

Every song on NLOTH >>>>>>>>>>>>> Winter. Though I do think Winter has some potential. It could be great song (remove the VLV beginning for a start).

Two Things:

Winter is a damn fine song (of course, aside from the Viva la Vida connection; I'm looking at you, Brian Eno. :shame:). I feel like it's the most emotion Bono put into a song from the NLOTH sesssions (that we've heard so far); especially near the end when his voice falters a little and it almost sounds like it's because he's getting choked up a little. I have my alternate tracklist of NLOTH, which is basically the tracklist of Linear, where Winter is included, instead of the most boring and by-the-numbers U2 song yet: "Crazy Tonight". Winter easily kicks the ass of about half the songs on the album.

Second, a live performance of Winter? Doubt it. You recall what happened with Peter Gabriel last year's Oscars? He opted-out of performing (and probably the reason they snubbed him from winning the award) because they were only going to let him do like 60 seconds of his song during a montage. I would hope that U2 would also make the same wise decision. What is the point in playing only a fraction of an oscar-nominated song live? Doesn't do it justice. Who knows...maybe they'll change it back to playing the full songs again this time around.

It was a fine work in progress on Linear, but I hope that's not the final version of the song, at press time for NLOTH they seemed to be hinting that they wanted to finish it for Songs of Ascent, now that obviously won't happen, and it seriously damages any chance of ever seeing a finalized Mercy, since there's so much in common with the composition, too bad, it would have been nice on SOA.

Winter just doesn't sound finished to me. It's not an awful song, but not very good either. The Coldplay references are annoying and the song still needs some work on the lyrics. What I don't like about it is the Christmas feel I get at certain parts of the song. I don't know, maybe they can work on it and make it sound better or maybe they have already done that, but in its current state I don't think it's a good song for an Oscar nomination, or even for a movie soundtrack. So glad the song didn't make it onto NLOTH.

Change a few of the lyrics and the chorus (too poppy compared to the rest of the song, as well as being a bit too saccharine-sounding for its subject matter (not to mention the film itself)).

The template is there for a quality U2 song, but I feel as though it just hasn't reached its' full potential...

gvox. i don't want to see you talk bad about Fez-Being Born ever again. i am so fucking pissed right now! :angry:

Ok, I'll try to think of something good to say about Pez Being Boring:

Man, I can't think of anything. :sad:

:lol:

PS. Has it ever occurred to anyone that maybe, just maybe, Winter just might have been written before Viva La Vida Loca or whatever the fuck that Moldplay song is called?

Winter live ? Please no.

Same here, I don't like the song at all.

I don't like the song either (not in it's Linear form anyway). I really hope they have reworked it for the film but I doubt it.

song sucks :reject:

I think Winter is better than either WAS or COL:D

It deserves more of a spot on NLOTH than at least 4 of the songs that did make it, Pez Being Boring and SUC(K)
especially.

:up::up:

Winter is never better than White as snow. White as snow is beautiful, so simple and touching. Winter has great potential, but it's too poppy and Eno tried too hard to make U2 sound like Coldplay.

I love this place... U2 could get an award like this and the first thing that happens is everyone talks about how its such a shitty song:lol:

Eno tried too hard to make U2 sound like Coldplay.

You have no solid proof of this, really. The songs aren't even all that similar. The effect on the key riff is similar, and it ends right about there. Given that NLOTH recording began in June 07 and VLV writing began in June 07 and both featured heavy influence from Eno...not only is it not surprising, it doesn't lend any weight to a "Eno tried to make U2 sound like Coldplay" argument.

Change a few of the lyrics and the chorus (too poppy compared to the rest of the song, as well as being a bit too saccharine-sounding for its subject matter (not to mention the film itself)).

The template is there for a quality U2 song, but I feel as though it just hasn't reached its' full potential...

The chorus is the only thing I like :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom