U2 never did enough drugs, and that's why we'll get shorter concerts now.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IWasBored

Blue Crack Supplier
Just think, if U2 had used Keith Richards-quantities of drugs and alcohol in their earlier years, they could be so well pickled and preserved now, that they'd be able to perform concerts longer than an hour and a half on the upcoming tour. There would be no worrying about Bono's back, Larry's wrists, or Adam's hair, because they'd be impervious to such mere mortal concerns after defying death with extensive heroin/coke/everything habits.

Now, I know you're thinking, well what about Springsteen? He's in his 60s, and still clocking shows that are 3 hours plus without decades of abuse to his liver, pancreas, and other organs. Dude just spent more time and money working out, but that AARP article a little while back mentioned there are as many tubes of Ben-gay backstage as there are guitar picks. You never hear Mick Jagger and icy-hot mentioned in the same sentence, now do you?

No, the real way to go would have been straight up rock n roll debauchery. Because everyone knows, what doesn't kill you makes you play longer.

straight up rock n roll debauchery

I'm sure some of that happened between Achtung Baby and Pop, no?

Next topic: If Bono had OD'd and died at 27 like Jim Morrison or Kurt Cobain, would the remaining three have continued with a different singer?

PS: Shit! If he had died at 27, it would've been slap bang in the middle of the Joshua Tree hype!

Bono dying at 27 would have been so tragic. I wonder what their legacy would be like now if that was the case... probably the loss people imagined couldn't possibly equal what we know now it actually would have been.

U2 have done plenty of drugs along the journey. Don't be worried about that.

Is there any evidence of this?

becasue ive never heard anything apart from bono's drinking problems and adam claytons sort of wild days in the early 90's

U2 wouldn't be so hated right now if they had done plenty of drugs. The public would love Bono if he was a drug wreck. They'd only get the best reviews and all. Really, U2, why aren't you willing to fit into that Rock'n'Roll cliché? :grumpy:

Adam was arrested for weed in the 90s, but U2s members were never into cocaine or anything like that. Adams alcoholism led to the famous Sydney incident and he's been dry ever since.

In the 80s, they were all reading bibles after their concerts, not much room for speedballs

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I supose if bono was doing the sex drugs and rocknroll gig he would be seen as cool but because he is a born again christian and does alot for charity he is hated. Sad but true

Shouldnt u2 be respected more for doing things their own way and not the rock n roll way. There the biggest band in the world without being in the tabloids,without living the whole sex drugs and rocknroll lifestyle like every other band.

Its ten times harder to live the life theve done then the life of many other artists.

They never get respect for that i dont think.

Theve done things there way!

My friend always says to me all the good records have been made by artists on drugs and yeah he is right. Until i bring up u2's masterpieces.

U2 have done plenty of drugs along the journey. Don't be worried about that.

i'd imagine so. we know Edge did shrooms, and I'm sure they all get high every now and then :wink: they went clubbing a lot in the 90s too, i can see Bono trying x lol. but obviously they were able to keep any drug use on the DL, so I doubt it was something they got into heavily. prolly just dabbled a bit.

I also think it's naive to believe they never did at least "try" stuff, especially in the 90s. I would actually be shocked if they didn't. And Bono sure had his fair share of painkillers and stuff as well.

I also think it's naive to believe they never did at least "try" stuff, especially in the 90s. I would actually be shocked if they didn't. And Bono sure had his fair share of painkillers and stuff as well.

We are just presuming though aren't we. There's no evidence to state that theve touched anything. Maybe they have but maybe they havent

I loved the Stones up to 1972. Then it seemed to go downhill from there.
What's up with Keith Richards now? All he seems to do now is pose and
occasionally strum a riff. He's "alive," which is remarkable.

U2 following the Stones and their lifestyle? They're too busy holding
Bible meetings before their gigs. Adam was the wild man in the band,
but even he's straight now. I think Bono flirted with the "rock star"
life during ZooTV, but it didn't last long....thankfully.

Oh yay, this again for the bazillionth time! :hyper:

Sent from my ass crack

We've had threads suggesting drug use is related to concert length in the positive before? I was not aware.

Or did you mean the awfully disappointing off topic direction people took my thread? This has nothing to do with "omg how much drugz did u think U2 has done," you all fail.

If he can drop it I'm sure the members from U2 couldn't make an album this good with drugs.

Q&A: Noel Gallagher: Music And Books : Details

Noel Gallagher: I woke up one afternoon in 1998, and there were people partying in the house for a couple of days and I didn't know most of them. I got up and started doing drugs for breakfast. But finally I decided it was time for a change. I kicked it for a couple of weeks, then that turned into a couple of months, and after that it was, "Fuck this. Fuck these people. Who the fuck are these people? I don't like any of them anymore." But the party was still going on, and then I had to get rid of friends who I had known for years. It was tough at first, but do I want to get to 40 and still being doing this? The answer was no. And fatherhood changes every thing.

We all know the period Adam went through..... nor he is Zen-master and drinks tea :)
But as far as I know, in U2byU2 Bono shares a story (late 80's-early 90's??) when they were in Tokyo and he smokes pot with some people. But he goes on saying that he is really not into it and doesn't like the feeling ...

This is an asinine argument.

Not really. There's a lot of truth to it. Go to any other rock band website and it won't take long before you start hearing opinions from people who don't like their rockstars being like Bono. They don't like him because he's not a true rock star. he's a politician in the eyes of many and they don't respect the way he doesn't really live the rock star life. Those people are idiots but they exist in large numbers.

Back
Top Bottom