U2 Marathon - literally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spiral_Staircase

War Child
I'm training for a marathon this spring, and I've been considering the idea of running it with an ipod loaded with nothing but U2, with songs chosen to play at specific parts of the route (I'll have a pretty good idea of what pace I'll be running).

Anybody ever try anything like that before?
Got ideas for what song to start the race with? What song should get me through "the wall" at mile 21? What should take me through the last 10 minutes, and across the finish line?

I've walked long distances in the summer with Pop playing before. That's an unforgettable experience, especially if you have the opportunity to take the full hour to be alone with the music. In your case, however, you can't do much better than A Sort Of Homecoming, Streets, In God's Country, and other such epic tracks.

I always like to kick things off with "Where the Streets Have No Name". . .You know "I want to run. . ." and all that. You have to be careful though that it doesn't mess up your pace though. . .I tend to want to run faster than I should on a distance run when I start with that :lol:

When I've run distances in the past, I've turned Streets on late into it, as a second wind booster.

Interesting. i might have said the opposite. As maycocksean said, I think I'd start off running way too fast if I started w/ streets. Actually, that would be a problem with anything but 4th of July.

:lol:
Y'know there's this beautiful version of One recorded in Modena and released as a Miss Sarajevo b-side that always cheers me up when I hear it. It might help you:

YouTube - U2( Bono and The Edge) & Brian Eno-One live from Modena 95

The audio is kinda bad on this video but this version it's not hard to find.

There's also some Passengers material that might work. United Colours, Always Forever Now, and Theme From Lets Go Native in particular.

I actually find that early U2 is great for running. Out of Control, Electric Co, I Will Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Refugee, Two Hearts, A Celebration, Pete the Chop, Gloria... I also sometimes include Daddy's Gonna Pay, Discotheque, Dirty Day (Junk Day Mix), Pop Muzik and HMTMKMKM. R&H has some heartpumpers as well. There is nothing better than running to music!

The epic transition from All I Want is You to Streets at Slane is a fail-safe one too ...

Actually... I really like this question! I'm going to make myself a U2 running mix CD!

I would do that, but it's going to be 35 degrees tomorrow. :lol: The Unforgettable Fire and a hot drink will have to do for the time being.

Pant...pant..... Ha! Just ran in place for 20 minutes listening to U2. See? You inspired me!

:)

I ran to:
Zoo Station (Live from Window in the Skies single)
Beat on the Brat
God Part II (12-31-1989)
When Love Comes to Town (12-31-1989)
Do You Feel Loved

It worked great, except the transition from When Love Comes to Town to DYFL because Bono started speechifying while Edge played the opening chords of Love Rescue Me....

I suggest you listen to 1 song for the whole run. Now that would be pretty funny.

MLK
Where The Streets Have No Name
Cry/Electric Co.
I Will Follow
Pride
Mysterious Ways
Discotheque
Fly
Mofo
Dirty Day

There in no perfect list or order.

Daddy's Gonna Pay...
Mofo
Discotheque
The Fly
Do You Feel Loved
Streets
Dirty Day
Last Night On Earth (Especially the version from Mexico City)
Sunday...
New Years Day
Electric Co
Out Of Control
Vertigo
Elevation

The list goes for miles... :drool:

I wonder what the new album is going to offer us in term of high rate running inspiring songs.

I'm going to prepare my own list two, for my meager 10k training..:wave:

My "wall" song is Walk On. Even though I'm usually trying to run through the pain I still like that song.

And I know it aches
And your heart it breaks
And you can only take so much
Walk on, walk on

Just change heart to body and it fits the occcasion.

I always listen to The Josua Tree when I'm at the gym. For some reason that is always the album I like to listen to on the eliptical.

ahh...great stuff, all. Thanks for the ideas. Exit...Electric Co...A Sort of Homecoming! Three great ones that I hadn't thought about yet. That stuff gets me flying. Ooh, what about Hawkmoon? Dirty Day will be great smack-dab in the middle of the race. I'm thinking the desperation of Bad into the elation of Streets might be just the thing for when I feel like I'm hitting the wall. A live version of Electric Co. might be just the right pace to get my legs churning for the last half-mile and across the line. Ah, who knows. You really can't go wrong. My ideas will change by April, but I'll have fun experimenting on some long runs along the way.

I run to nothing but U2...

My suggestion...keep "WTSHNN" on constant replay and coast...

or

"Seconds", "Lady With A Spinning Head" (How I end my sprint workouts), "The Fly"

Back
Top Bottom