U2 Live in Irving Plaza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A show is about more than set lists. The played with passion and purpose on that tour...it didn't really matter so much what they were playing.

Anyone whose seen U2 go through the motions knows how special it is when they're playing like the meaning.

It is, but it is not debatable that the setlist is a major component. :wave:

I remember trying to get tix, also, and then failing miserably. I drove down to big brother's crib in the Bronx, and huddled around the stereo sucking on beers and probably smoking something wacky with him and his college roommate. All 3 of us big time U2 nerds. We laughed our asses off when the dude yells "Yan-Kees Base-Bawll". Hysterical stuff. and i'm a red sox fan... they delivered a great selection of tunes with POWER. like bono said, like landing a 747 on the front lawn or some shit like that.

I managed to snag a DVD of this show on one of the torrent sites a few years ago - it's absolutely fantastic. Irving Plaza is a great venue, with a couple of house cameras that capture all the action (so if your'e at the bar, you can still see what's happening on the stage). U2 were on fire that night, and looked to be having a blast.

I'll see if i can find a link to the DVD torrent (or if i still have the files and reseed). If that's all doable, i'll share with y'all. no promises, but i'll look into it.

The Irving Plaza is a special one. It is unique. It´s great, I even now come back to listening this gig.

I watched the Snl Elevation and for me it seems a bit over the top and hysterical performance by bono.

What a great show that was! Since I first saw this thread, I've been meaning to dig up the show, and I finally did on youtube last night. The amount of energy present just in BD and Elevation alone.....wow! Every song was so well done, and the 11 O Clock/Wont Get Fooled finale was the perfect ending. Watching this again has set off a bit of an Elevation Tour phase for me, the 1st one in a long while. Though ATYCLB will never be my favorite U2 album and it certainly does not need to be giving us IALW and acoustic Stuck every night of the next tour, it's packed full of great songs (full band stuck, walk on, bd, kite, even peace on earth and new york) and indisputably gave U2 another decade. This whole era is proof of what U2 can do when they're giving it their all. Of course, I find some 2001 versions of Pride, SBS and Still Haven't Found painful due to Bono's vocal troubles, but they were all performed with so much passion and energy it didn't matter. I listened to Boston 2001 Streets and then Denver 2011 Streets right afterwards....Denver is so much better by any objective standard, but still, the energy from the band and crowd was noticeably less. Elevation, BD and Walk On sound like completely different songs on Elevation...they're performing the hell out of them. Even UTTEOTW....they ripped through that like no other on Elevation. It plodded along on 360 til the last leg. Elevation was about playing like they had something to prove because they did. Sure, I dislike some of the setlists and alot of Bono's vocal performances, but in terms of passion, energy and feeling like they need to come back w/a statement, I hope that U2 are looking very closely at the Elevation tour for inspiration right now. Especially where they're going back indoors. U2 trying to be U2 is something that should be embraced, now more than ever. I hope we get a similar length promo show to Irving in the Fall of 2013, complete with a 2 Hearts or Twilight or Wire or whatever performance that recalls earlier energy packed U2 performances as 11 O Clock did that night!

What a great show that was! Since I first saw this thread, I've been meaning to dig up the show, and I finally did on youtube last night. The amount of energy present just in BD and Elevation alone.....wow! Every song was so well done, and the 11 O Clock/Wont Get Fooled finale was the perfect ending. Watching this again has set off a bit of an Elevation Tour phase for me, the 1st one in a long while. Though ATYCLB will never be my favorite U2 album and it certainly does not need to be giving us IALW and acoustic Stuck every night of the next tour, it's packed full of great songs (full band stuck, walk on, bd, kite, even peace on earth and new york) and indisputably gave U2 another decade. This whole era is proof of what U2 can do when they're giving it their all. Of course, I find some 2001 versions of Pride, SBS and Still Haven't Found painful due to Bono's vocal troubles, but they were all performed with so much passion and energy it didn't matter. I listened to Boston 2001 Streets and then Denver 2011 Streets right afterwards....Denver is so much better by any objective standard, but still, the energy from the band and crowd was noticeably less. Elevation, BD and Walk On sound like completely different songs on Elevation...they're performing the hell out of them. Even UTTEOTW....they ripped through that like no other on Elevation. It plodded along on 360 til the last leg. Elevation was about playing like they had something to prove because they did. Sure, I dislike some of the setlists and alot of Bono's vocal performances, but in terms of passion, energy and feeling like they need to come back w/a statement, I hope that U2 are looking very closely at the Elevation tour for inspiration right now. Especially where they're going back indoors. U2 trying to be U2 is something that should be embraced, now more than ever. I hope we get a similar length promo show to Irving in the Fall of 2013, complete with a 2 Hearts or Twilight or Wire or whatever performance that recalls earlier energy packed U2 performances as 11 O Clock did that night!

Very good post :up:

Back
Top Bottom