U2 Live DVD Reccomentation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

him

Babyface
I have been a U2 fan for a little over 6 months and almost have all of their albums. I often hear that Bono is a great performer, and therefore want a U2 live DVD (and if possible, recorded on one night, not 2 or more!!). Which is the best? I don't care if it doesn't have the most recent music on it. I just want the best quality performance and energy out there on DVD.

:wave: Welcome!

You have heard correctly - Bono is a great performer. :wink:

My personal favorite concert DVD is the Zoo TV Sydney release. Some fans find that their shows that are recorded for DVD aren't their best performances, as they seem a little stiff or just a bit off (which in U2 world still might be a great performance, but we know they can do better).

But I don't feel that way at all about the Sydney DVD.

Also, the 1983 Red Rocks show is stellar and captures their energy and spirit really well.

I just watched the Zoo TV Sydney DVD today in fact and I like that the most of all of them. Elevation Live from Slane Castle has amazing energy and performances. Slane is also a very emotional DVD with the fact that Bono's father died not long before that show. During "Kite", which Bono dedicated to his father, you can see Bono sort of tearing up and it's really great, powerful performance.

Thanks so much, you guys! I was thinking Zoo TV as well! And this board is great! Everyone is making me feel so welcome! I'm no longer hesitating to post! This is like my 6th post and I already feel like I've been here for years. Thanks for both of those things!

:lol:

We're all a little crazy around here. But the nice people generally balance out those who are less welcoming. :)

What do you mean about the new album thread? And by the way, I just checked out some of the Zoo TV live in Sydney videos on YouTube, and I want to know how Bono moves in those pants! They're probably leather but they look like molded plastic! I've never worn leather of any type, but those don't look comfortable. It's probably weird that I noticed that, but it looks uncomfortable!!

Totally. The leather duds he's been wearing on this tour look a little more comfortable.

There's a thread that's supposed to be about discussion of the next U2 album that may or may not be coming out this spring, but as there's been no real news, we're going a little crazy. You've got your stupid arguments, you've got your random silliness, you've got fart jokes.

And occasionally some discussion of the next U2 album. :wink:

HAHA! That seems like a crazy thread! I hate to go off topic of this thread, but I kind of doubt it being released this spring. Usually the first announcements of an upcoming album are 4 or 5 months in advance. If I had to make a guess, I'd say July or August, but I'm not any expert!

But yes, they look very uncomfortable ;)

Oh yeah that is leather. I've worn leather, not from head to toe, but it's acually not that bad. The leather he wore on Zoo TV had a lot of shine, which I guess gives it that plastic-y sorta look. And as for the new album thread, well it's just crazy in there. People are arguing about comparing U2 to Brittney Spears and how U2 aren't relevant and what they should do about promotion or whatever. :|

But he can surely run in them during WTSHNN! I still don't get it. It doesn't look possible!

If you want more info on Bono's leather pants, check out the PLEBA forums. :hmm:
On second thought.....probably not a good idea!

As for the best DVD, honestly ZOOTV is tops by most accounts in terms of performances, probably U2 Go Home (Slane Castle) a good second, and while i love Popmart from Mexico City, id go with The Rose Bowl 360 DVD Bluray from 2009 as a great modern look at how this band still has not lost their performance "edge" after all of these years. Yes i did try to be funny there, sort of.

Is the Vertigo tour DVD any good? How about the most recent U2360 DVD!?

Mrs. Garrison,

Thank you! I am not sure I want to go there! I think I'll just stumble upon the videos and wonder how the heck you walk in those!

As for the live DVDs, thank you. Zoo TV sounds like a good one. Before coming for recommendations, I actually was considering Zoo TV for #1 and Rose Bowl for #2!!

Not official releases but try and get hold of Werchter 82, Loreley (Rockpalast) 83 and Dortmund 84. Dare i say i think the Rockpalast 83 performance is better than Red Rocks:reject:

Cool! Thanks! I noticed that there is a lot of hostility towards HTDAAB!!! I just bought ATYCLB and it was really great! So, I'd assume that the Elevation Tour is great, too. I forget if it was you or not (theedgeu2) that mentioned it earlier, with the Kite reference. Maybe I'll see that performance on YouTube. Thanks!

Here's the Deal with Vertigo, the Director sucked but they did play some old songs from the back catalog which was cool. They sort of made up for it with the Milano DVD included with U218...a must have DVD as well even if its only an hour long. That version of Vertigo, COBL were awesome performances.

I purchased The Joshua Tree box set in my local music store for $30 with 2 CDs and a DVD... that Paris performance wasn't the best I've seen of them, but it is the only full piece I have. I loved that performance of ISHFWILF and October!!

Yep the Kite performance was spectacular and I honestly would get it for that song alone.:heart:

As for the Chicago DVD. Highlights off the top of my head:

COBL (with that sweet intro)
Electric Co.
An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart
Running To Stand Still
Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Yahweh

Milan DVD features my all time favorite performance of I Will Follow.

I purchased The Joshua Tree box set in my local music store for $30 with 2 CDs and a DVD... that Paris performance wasn't the best I've seen of them, but it is the only full piece I have. I loved that performance of ISHFWILF and October!!

Oh yeah I got that too for like $20 at the last minute on eBay!:hyper: The DVD is kinda stale to me, sorry. I liked it though but they have better. And October is incredibly haunting and beautiful on the JT Deluxe DVD.

I think it is great if you are just getting to know U2 like I was. It gives a rare inside look that you wouldn't have had as a long-time fan. And his pants look more comfortable.

I remember the first time watching the DVD I sat for like 10 minutes waiting for the menu, and realized that opening footage was on a loop and I had to press the menu button :sexywink:

theedgeu2, I just saw your location. I know it is off-topic, but I'm not sure I understand it. Does it basically mean that you don't like those 2 CDs?

And overall, I thought the JT live performance from Paris was OK, but I loooove the song "Exit" and I found it to be sub-par... I love that song, and it just didn't seem that "with it". The performance overall wasn't the best I've seen, but the setlist was great!

Back
Top Bottom