U2 Live - A Complete Album On Tour ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2NativeSon

Refugee
I recently downloaded a show from The Who, where their complete album of Quadrophenia was performed, I believe last year Rush did their tour based around their album Moving Pictures also performed complete.

My question for fans is... Could U2 go on tour and perform an album in entirety, and if so, which album ?

I look forward to a new album possibly in 2013 and a tour in 2013-2014, I honestly think U2 could perform a complete album along with 5-6 new songs as well as some classics.

War, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, POP ??

Opinions ? :reject:

How to make a theatre tour work:

Play Passengers in its entirety, complemented by appropriate rarities to flesh out the set (Boomerang II, North and South of the River, I'm Not Your Baby, that sort of thing).

I, for one, would love it, and the demand would be sufficiently reduced that getting tickets would be a realisic proposition. :lol:

On a more serious note, I wouldn't be shocked if they did JT or AB in full for a major anniversary in future. Look out for the 2027 Joshua Tree 40th Anniversary Arena Tour, with special guest Fashionable Young Pop Star to hit the high notes on Red Hill Mining Town.

Psh, they'd advertise playing ATYCLB in full and just do the first four songs.

"What? When I Look at the World was a b-side, wasn't it? WASN'T IT?"

No, they couldn't. More importantly, they wouldn't.

Besides...shoving half of AB in 360 set wasn't enough nostalgia ? :shrug:

psh, they'd advertise playing pop in full and actually play atyclb in full.

:laugh: And then ialw x 5 instead of WILATW and Kite or something.

Funny this thread appears now. For some reason I dreamed last night that U2 did AB in full. Including Acrobat, that crashed Interference, U2.com, twitter and U2gigs.

It would be awesome. And well, realistiscally they know how to play most songs as they've done it the last two tours. And with the remaster they must've gone over Acrobat at least once. So it would be the most possible album.
Second place I'd say JT, as they've played a lot of songs from there too. Though Trip and especially Red Hill Mining Town would be an issue.

Assuming it's any good, they should play their new album in it's entirety. That will help them stop being a nostalgia act.

Given Bono's vocals on some 80's songs, I'd say stay away from full albums pre AB.

And given their track record of sounding really, really bad on unrehearsed songs, pass. Stick to new material instead.

Given Bono's vocals on some 80's songs, I'd say stay away from full albums pre AB.

And given their track record of sounding really, really bad on unrehearsed songs, pass. Stick to new material instead.

Well duh, if they planned a tour that featured them doing albums in entirety, they'd be rehearsing those albums in preparation for said tour that featured them doing albums in entirety. :doh:

Also, Bono's been doing the 80s stuff admirably of late, some even in album/regular tuning. He'd be fine.

Yeah because they can play the new material without rehearsing.... :rolleyes:

The new material sounds just as unrehearsed as the old material in the beginning of the tour. Even worse in fact. Remember Popmart Las Vegas?

:laugh: And then ialw x 5 instead of WILATW and Kite or something.

Funny this thread appears now. For some reason I dreamed last night that U2 did AB in full. Including Acrobat, that crashed Interference, U2.com, twitter and U2gigs.

It would be awesome. And well, realistiscally they know how to play most songs as they've done it the last two tours. And with the remaster they must've gone over Acrobat at least once. So it would be the most possible album.
Second place I'd say JT, as they've played a lot of songs from there too. Though Trip and especially Red Hill Mining Town would be an issue.

can I buy a ticket to your dream concert?! :hyper::drool:

:wink:

JT would be cool too!

I'd still like NLOTH in full!:drool:

Just give me a healthy dose of the new songs (providing they're excellent of course), a good mix of the deeper cuts not played often or never played at all from the albums previously mentioned, and just a smattering of the hits. Really, except for Streets, UTEOTW, and MAYBE Beautiful Day, it's time to give the warhorses a break! Or at least as much of a break as they can. I realize most come to U2 shows for the hits.

Well duh, if they planned a tour that featured them doing albums in entirety, they'd be rehearsing those albums in preparation for said tour that featured them doing albums in entirety. :doh:

Also, Bono's been doing the 80s stuff admirably of late, some even in album/regular tuning. He'd be fine.

Like I said, they couldn't and they wouldn't do it.

Besides if they tour an old album, how much of the latest/newest album can get it once they add in the obligatory hits ? Playing more of an old(er) album than your last album would defeat the very purpose of touring, which is to promote the NEW stuff. Not that it didn't stop them on 360...

AB and beyond is fine. 80s material would be tough.

The purpose of touring isn't promoting new stuff.. it's making money.

Becoming a greatest hits act would still make them money. So there's no reason not to tour an old album.

Yes it is...definitely for U2 and most musicians, the purprose is to promote the new songs. Or else everyone touring would just crank out oldies and the hits and collect the money anyway.

There's no reason play old albums. Not as long as they keep making new music and still get excited enough about it to play it live.
If they feel like playing a few 20-something anniversary shows - and this didn't happen with JT or AB anniversaries, so chances are lesser U2 albums don't stand a chance - they might. But a full fledged tour ? No.

Yes it is...definitely for U2 and most musicians, the purprose is to promote the new songs.

I'm pretty sure that for most musicians, besides earning a living, touring is to play songs they enjoy playing, new or old.

I can only really see them doing this with Joshua Tree.

1. New Song
2. AB Song
3. New Song
4. New Song
5. Vertigo
6. ATYCLB
7. New Song
8. New Song
9-19 Joshua Tree

20. Desire
21. New Song
22. Sunday Bloody Sunday

23. Pride
24. One

Or something like that.

We all know U2 would never do anything like this, BUT if they were to, I'd guess it'd be either HTDAAB or maybe Achtung. They had a new-found love of Achtung around the anniversary at the end of the last tour so it wouldn't be out of the question, and surely they would know that Achtung is considered the best album by the hardcore fans.

We all know U2 would never do anything like this, BUT if they were to, I'd guess it'd be either HTDAAB or maybe Achtung. They had a new-found love of Achtung around the anniversary at the end of the last tour so it wouldn't be out of the question, and surely they would know that Achtung is considered the best album by the hardcore fans.
I can see why they would play loads of Achtung songs (incredible and popular album), but HTDAAB in its entirety? Man, I hope not.:down:

Back
Top Bottom