u2,live 8, Rusty Anderson and Sgt Pepper.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strat88

The Fly
so i have a co-worker,who is really good friends with Rusty Anderson the guitar player for Paul Mcartney. Well, Rusty told my co-worker that he (Rusty)
had to show The Edge how to play Sgt Pepper.My co-worker also says that the it's all the producers of u2s albums and that the boys really can't play their instruments.I just let him know that i don't agree with him.It's too bad because
he just ends up sounding like a bitter musician who never really had the kind of
fame i guess he thought he deserved.he did have a mild hit on the pop charts back in the mid 80's.I just wanted some feedback and let me know what you out there in Interference land think.I know I can become very defensive when come to certain bands that I follow especially U2.
I welcome your response.

Should have asked him who was playing the instruments when they're touring. :|

Guy sounds a bit bitter as you say. Also any fool can get a tab for Sgt Pepper and learn to play it. If I can play it, Edge can play it in a coma with his hands tied.

I can't remember the song, but at the end of It Might Get Loud The Edge works out a chord progression and teaches it to Jimmy Page.

So, yeah, The Edge sucks and Jimmy Page is complete shite.

Also, what's wrong with someone teaching Edge to play Sgt. Pepper if he's never played it before?

U2 have always been unashamed of the fact that they are very good at playing U2 songs, and not really that great of a cover band. I think it's an admirable trait - no one (really) can make the noises they do in quite the same way.

As an aside, Rusty's album "Born on Earth" was the best thing that came out last year and is well worth a download.

Sounds like he's basing that hi-larious comment on the fact that Edge had the sheer audacity to not know how to play a famous Beatles song.

I'd suggest sending your co-worker links to "It Might Get Loud" (which is online at Netflix, BTW) or the multitude of youtube clips of the band in the studio, working out new songs. It's pretty obvious they know their instruments well, as on-the-spot suggestions and changes are immediately integrated into whichever song they're working on. Even four complete idiots would learn SOMETHING about how to play their instruments after 30 years of albums and THOUSANDS of live shows. Or are the producers up onstage (or even under the stage?) during all those concerts?

Also, someone needs to dig up the quote I'm thinking of, that tells how the band prefers to record whole-band performances in the studio, and not just patch together heavily edited tracks and loops of the different instruments and then overdub the vocals (like most modern 'artists'). Can't remember where or when I read it though.

I agree that it sounds like a case of sour grapes - or else yet another jab at U2 because their music doesn't fit into the standard rock 'n roll mold of repetitive choruses, linear rhythms, and fretboard masturbation.

And I have to call BS on him teaching Edge how to play Sgt. Pepper. No video, it didn't happen.

goat

So what if he had to show Edge the chords to the song? Some people don't walk around with a Beatles songbook in their heads. Edge may not have been able to remember them; my housemate is an excellent guitarist but I'm forever reminding him of chord progressions to songs because he just forgets them.

U2 can't improvise on stage. I am not a musician but I reckon that is a musical weakness. And I reckon this is why U2 in the studio is a painful process, especially the past couple of efforts with swapping producers and so on.

But crickey, onto something positive, on stage for the songs they rehearse and play they are truly remarkable.

Well, I don't like flaming people based on hearsay so I won't flame this Rusty character. If he said those things in an interview I'd be mad. If he said it at all, it may have been during a drunken conversation between two friends. We're all capable of spouting rubbish after a few drinks (I know I have).

i'm not ripping Rusty either, maybe he did show Edge the chord progression to sgt pepper.I've been playing guitar for 25 years and i dont think i've ever played
that song.But for someone to assume because U2 uses the best producers you can get,does not mean that Adam,Larry,and The Edge,cannot play their
instruments.the guy i work with is really a nice guy but he's really a perfectionist about music and i think that perfection does not belong i rock and roll.

Back
Top Bottom