U2 listeners forty and over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi...:wave: So -- I'm 'barely' 40, but I guess that means I can't post in the 20-40 thread : ( I first remember hearing U2 sometime around 81-82 on the radio. I live in SLC, Utah -- but we've always had a pretty progressive radio scene so I was pretty up on U2 even back then. Couldn't make it to the first concert here (I was in Jr High) - and they didn't come back to Utah until Pop in 97. JT came out my senior year of HS, so that sealed the deal for me. Ended up seeing them for the first time in Nov 87 in Denver -- flew up w my best friend -- and we were at the infamous SBS Rattle & Hum show! Somewhere in that scene you can see my ex-boyfriend's measly little U2 banner up in the rafters -- my seats were much better and close to the floor (dad had industry connections). That kicked it all off and I've been hooked ever since!

I've seen 13 shows total, and hope to get to 20 by the end of this tour!!

I'm almost 40 and I have to say it's refreshing to have a thread for us older folk.

We've been there when they were that band that some would talk about in school and you'd have to ask yourself...who's U2? Why are people talking about a spyplane?

Then one day everyone in the universe was talking about this band with the lead singer wearing a ponytail and hooped earrings. They became so popular that a bit later they decided to completely upturn, add some funky synthesised beats, cut their hair, go against the grain, and come out with something absurd as a title called Achtung Baby. What hell were they thinking some would ask? U2 purists were shocked and plenty of them were dismayed. Not me. This is when I became a super U2 fan. U2 took me to places I've never experienced in music. This is what I want from them, pushing the boundaries and giving us great memories to look back on.

Hope y'all don't mind me asking, but I am new on Facebook and need some friends. I'll take any, but over 40 is great....I saw a post in another thread, but it was for college kids. Although, I feel at times like a kid (especially feeling so excited over the new U2 stuff!:applaud:) Anyone on Facebook? I have a great friend who just signed up and I am trying to beat her in the # of friends dept. I feel sort of foolish, actually, but it sure is a great way to see each others kids! If interested, please PM me and I can send my name or you can send your email..And, if I am violating any terms I apologize!

Hello,
I will turn 40 in June. Does that count? Not looking forward to it.:sad:
The first time for me seeing them was at the LA Sports Arena during the Unforgettable Fire tour. Great show. I have seen them 5 times since.
Looking forward to the new tour.

54 U2 at Woodstock or the 60's nooooo I'm glad we have this much time with them and we have a few more years to get new music from them. Had they been around then, we wouldn't be having this discussion now. They may have retired to their private islands by now. :D
Besides if they had been around in the 60's, their catalogue would have been entirely different. I can't speculate what sounds they would have had, with the influences from then. But it would have been good. :hyper:

I'm 41. I remember that we got cable tv around the time that MTV premiered, and I became a fan of U2 the day I saw the video for "Gloria" (still one of my fave songs of all time).

Was lucky enough to see the band live for the first time from the second row at the old Paramount Theater in Portland on the WAR tour in 1983. After the show, my best friend and I waited by the backstage door with about 5-10 others, and were were all lucky enough to be treated to an audience with Bono. He sat in an abandoned shopping cart on the sidewalk and regaled us with stories for at least an hour (he talked a lot about his infamous misplaced suitcase of lyrics). We were thrilled to death when he gave us each a hug and a kiss before we ran all the way to the bus stop to catch the last bus home. We were only 15 at the time, and we were already pushing the outer limits of our curfew.

Since that first show (more years ago than I like to admit), I've had a chance to see U2 eight additional times and had the opportunity to see Bono speak at a World Affairs Council event. My lovely husband also just made my year this week by answering a trivia question correctly when the folks from the Letterman show called (we'll be on the East Coast for a wedding and didn't think we had a snowball's chance at scoring tickets). So, my 10th time to see U2 live will be this Monday in NYC! :hyper:

47 here. Bought the Boy album when it was released on a whim, had never heard of them and thought the name of the band was BOY. I remember the I Will Follow video on MTV and I thought that boy has scary eyes. :ohmy: I didn't become a big fan or see a show until Vertigo :sigh:

Glad I finally arrived though! :)

I'll hit the big Four Zero next week (the day after NLOTH comes out)- fan (on and off) since 84/85- although have better appreciation of their earlier work as I've gotten older

first saw them at Wembley stadium on Zooropa in 1993

47 here. Bought the Boy album when it was released on a whim, had never heard of them and thought the name of the band was BOY. I remember the I Will Follow video on MTV and I thought that boy has scary eyes. :ohmy: I didn't become a big fan or see a show until Vertigo :sigh:

Glad I finally arrived though! :)

Same here, at least we got to see them live! This tour we not be missed either :applaud:

I'm 41 and right now god do I feel it!!! (colds do that to ya!)

I was a big AC/DC fan and got into U2 watching under a Blood red sky. I liked new Year's Day before but after watching Blood red sky, I went to another level especially 11 O Clock Tick Tock (still my favourite U2 song).

I first saw them in Wembley Arena June 87 but I wanted to go to Milton keynes and Live Aid in 85 but unfortunately both clashed with other plans. I've seen them 50+ times after that and will probably see them in the States and Europe this tour a substantial amount of times (whatever I can get away with without the wife divorcing me!)

I cheated . . . just copied my post from another thread :)reject:) old age is making me lazeeeeeeeeee :lol:

Okay, first heard I Will Follow via a friends brother when I was about 14 (we were having a Duran Duran gushfest at my friends house) and it just blew me away - kept my delight to my self though as DD fans were not supposed to be U2 fans

Red Rocks DVD and Unforgettable Fire exploded the fan-girlyness in me in a massive way. Didn't manage to see them live until Lovetown, (I was grounded just before The Unforgettable Fire Tour :scream: )by which stage I was a bonofied ( :D ) U2 loooooonatic which most of my friends tolerated then (and still do today ) - saw 6 and a half Lovetown shows . . . how I miss the days of lax security and amnesty international stands inside the venue :wink:

The fan-girlyness slowed down somewhat after the birth of my daughter and then almost ground to a halt when my twinnies came along (didn't have time to scratch myself let alone wonder what the lads were up to) - although I kept my head enough to squeeze in Zoo TV (was at the infamous show that Adam missed . . . and this sounds ordinary but I was so far back I didn't even notice :O )and Popmart (so I hadn't totally abandoned them )

Managed to keep a lid on my U2 lunacy during ATYCLB but Vertigo Tour saw the lid come off and I couldn't give a whahootyfandango about stuffing it back in the box! U2 lunacy makes me happy with a capital H

I wear my U2 heart on my sleeve . . . the way it should be :heart: and have made some amazing friends thanks to a shared love of this band . . . and the whole experience of the lead up to NLOTH has just been so exciting . . . keeping all my bits and pieces crossed that they a) tour Australia again (I don't like my chances either :( ) or b) I win a stinky big lotto draw and manage to see them in Europe somewhere this tour :yes:

loving this thread and reading everyone's stories . . . :love:

:wave:

48 here

I am 48 & a follower of the band since 1980. I first saw them on the Pier in N.Y. back in 1983

42 here...seems to be a common age among fans. Let's hear it for the 80's!!!

:hi5:

childabuse.jpg
:giggle:

Sadly - or triumphantly - I've followed the fortunes of the Larry Mullen Jr band since the beginning. I even remember seeing them for the first time on Youngline on RTE. Just another teenage band with attitude - and a singer who couldn't mime!

Age? - aged to perfection!!!

After hearing Bono talk about the upcoming tour on BBC Radio 1 this morning I'm excited

Trouble is, I'll probably have to rely on Ebay for me ticket again Ticketmaster'll be jammed and sold out in an hour.

Monday - NLOTH Day!!!

:-D)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I want in this exclusive club! 52 here and a Grandmother! Been a fan since the nifty 80's (no mullets here).

Hi and welcome. I am also a grand mom! Of a precious five year old girl.

I want to thank everyone for posting their stories. It is so wonderful to read them. I admit. I was a bit hesitant. When, I first came to Interference. Thinking, I would be the "oldest one" here. But, I see. I am in great company. We lived in the eighties, remember MTV, well at least when it really was a music channel.

I also remember, holding my infant son and watching Live Aid. The feelings of hope that I had. The promise of helping those who were starving in a foreign land and making the planet, a better place for our children. I also prayed, U2 would stick around for many more years to come and they have.

I listened to their songs and reflect. My, how things have changed. Some for the better and perhaps, a few not so much. The wide eyed innocence of an entire generation has produce a mature group who is not only taken on the world by a storm. With the invention of the internet, but also a global awareness of how interconnected as people, we are. The simple fact we have to "carry each other."

We will be remembered in history for this. Technology, global communication, clean energy and the war on extreme poverty. Which, I believe, we will win! Our future generations will thank us.

I grew up in the 60's and 70's. It was a horrible time (Vietnam war, Nixon, etc). The one bright spot was the music. My first concert was seeing The Doors (with Jim Morrison). My second concert was seeing the Jimi Hendrix Experience. I lost count on all the groups I saw.
By the time of 80's, I had lost intererest a bit in music. All the "heavy" bands were gone.
U2 came around and I knew of them. I liked "Sunday Bloody Sunday," but was more of an casual fan. I heard their albums and I liked them.
By 2000, I bought my first U2 cd. ATYCLB. I caught U2 live and was totally blown away at how intense a U2 show was. I could kick myself for taking so long to be a fan. I would've loved to have seen ZOO TV and the earlier tours.

Same here, Vietnam, Nixion, was horrible. We can't say, it still doesn't affect us. It does. And you are absolutely right. Music was the one bright spot.

Wow, you saw the Doors and Hedrix? That is fantastic! My first rock concert was Zeppelin, in Baltimore Maryland, 1972. I was fifteen years old.

Back
Top Bottom