U2 karaoke experiences?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

believer75

War Child
Just curious to see if anyone here has ever sang a U2 song in karaoke before? If so, what kind of reception did you receive? Hopefully you found your inner rock star and the reception was good!! :applaud:
Thought it might be fun to share the experience with everyone.

i sang "Numb" and had random people put their feet on my face. unfortunately, the people just got back from their bar softball game, so it wasn't a very pleasant experience for me.

i sang "Numb" and had random people put their feet on my face. unfortunately, the people just got back from their bar softball game, so it wasn't a very pleasant experience for me.

Haha......I imagine not. But, wait no belly dancer?? Oh, beer belly dancers then.

I always sing U2 Karaoke. I usually go for the rare material.

I remember doing Discotheque at a dive bar and people looking like a UFO landed, but they cheered at the end. Sang MW with many people dancing. Tried to sing Bad & sounded like a hound dog. And recently sang "Stay" with everyone cheering. Problem with most of these U2 songs (Bad, Pride, New Years Day) is that their in the original key making them really hard to sing. Nothing like trying to be 1984 studio Bono during Bad

it was enjoyable when i played an acoustic version of Gone at an open mic once, and there were too giddy U2 fans freaking out the whole time.

I've done a slew of U2 songs, let's see ...

Beautiful Day
Mysterious Ways
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Where the Streets Have No Name
In a Little While
The Ground Beneath Her Feet

There aren't usually any U2 fans at the places I go, so it's not like people get all excited when I sing them.

I have to be careful about what I pick, since I'm a girl and can't always hit the notes Bono does. The higher he sings, the easier it is for me. ;)

I remember doing Discotheque at a dive bar and people looking like a UFO landed, but they cheered at the end. Sang MW with many people dancing. Tried to sing Bad & sounded like a hound dog. And recently sang "Stay" with everyone cheering. Problem with most of these U2 songs (Bad, Pride, New Years Day) is that their in the original key making them really hard to sing. Nothing like trying to be 1984 studio Bono during Bad

Very cool for you to throw Discotheque at them.....I am sure they were more enlightened by the end of the song. I have looked for that one before but been unable to find it on the list. Bad would be a tough one...I am not brave enough to try that one.
I have noticed that re: the key as well. I am not a great singer, but it does make it very tough for me to stay in key of U2 :)

it was enjoyable when i played an acoustic version of Gone at an open mic once, and there were too giddy U2 fans freaking out the whole time.

Aaah, so you beam across borders....taking it one step (or more) better than karaoke. I do not have that talent in me. It would be cool to be in a bar one night and hear someone break out an acoustic Gone. I would be one of those U2 fans freaking out to hear that.

I've done a slew of U2 songs, let's see ...

Beautiful Day
Mysterious Ways
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Where the Streets Have No Name
In a Little While
The Ground Beneath Her Feet

There aren't usually any U2 fans at the places I go, so it's not like people get all excited when I sing them.

I have to be careful about what I pick, since I'm a girl and can't always hit the notes Bono does. The higher he sings, the easier it is for me. ;)

I also have to be careful about the ones I sing....I am the opposite in that I stay away from the ones with the high notes!! It's been awhile since I have sung karaoke, though, but was just reminiscing today about the "glory days"....

I always want to sing "Streets" but I'm afraid the crowd wouldn't do the song justice by sitting there. I would need at least 2,000 people jumping up and down. :hyper:

Off the top of my head her is the total list of U2 songs I've done:

I Will Follow
SBS
Desire
ISHFWILF
WOWY
Mothers of Disappeared (complete disaster)
Angel of Harlem
MW
One
Whos Gonna Ride
Even Better Than..
The Fly
Until The End Of The World (Karaoke intro sounds like someone stepped on a cat)
Stay
Discotheque
Please
Staring At Sun
Last Night On Earth
Stuck...
Elevation (was crazy drunk walking on tables)
Wild Honey
Little While
Walk On
City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
All Because of You
Hold Me Kill Me..
Electrical Storm

I've done my share of U2 karaoke. I don't take it serious and just try to act like Bono to have a fun time. And would love to try Lemon :drool:

Just curious to see if anyone here has ever sang a U2 song in karaoke before? If so, what kind of reception did you receive? Hopefully you found your inner rock star and the reception was good!! :applaud:
Thought it might be fun to share the experience with everyone.

I've sung a bunch of U2 songs a lot of the years with extremely differing results (I'm much better with crooners like Sinatra, Darin and Elvis...Presley, that is). "WOWY" is one I try frequently and it's been great sometimes, horrible others, and everywhere in between.

As far as audiences go, the most receptive I found was on a cruise ship. Most karaoke is in bars where you have to be 21, but it was a family cruise and every age was there. There was an excitement that normally isn't found at karaoke on land.

I always get a kick out of when someone else goes up to sing and I hear the opening notes of Pride. I've yet to hear anyone pull off the chorus.

I've done my share of U2 karaoke. I don't take it serious and just try to act like Bono to have a fun time. And would love to try Lemon :drool:

Yes, that is me, too....it's always just fun...I can't take it seriously b/c I am not a great singer!! I just jump out there with a leap of blind faith. I do not have as wide a repertoire as you in my karaoke experience, though...impressive! Go for Lemon...use the falsetto, dude, that's your money!

I've sung a bunch of U2 songs a lot of the years with extremely differing results (I'm much better with crooners like Sinatra, Darin and Elvis...Presley, that is). "WOWY" is one I try frequently and it's been great sometimes, horrible others, and everywhere in between.

As far as audiences go, the most receptive I found was on a cruise ship. Most karaoke is in bars where you have to be 21, but it was a family cruise and every age was there. There was an excitement that normally isn't found at karaoke on land.

I always get a kick out of when someone else goes up to sing and I hear the opening notes of Pride. I've yet to hear anyone pull off the chorus.

With or Without You was my debut in a crowded bar in ATL. It was a fluke because someone signed me up without my approval. I couldn't let the fans down, though, ya know...haha. It went okay, I guess. Luckily, I did have my purple shades handy so I threw them on for dramatic effect!! It helped me be a little less terrified and take the moment a little less seriously. A few people came up to me afterward and said I did okay, which made me feel good. I got the bug after that and gave it a few more shots....actually, that night, I also did sing Heartbreak Hotel...I had forgotten about that. That was fun, but I was no Elvis.

Speaking of Pride, I signed up to sing that one night in New Orlean's at karaoke night at Cat's Meow.......it was packed and a huge stage...I waited forever and then finally we decided to leave...I removed my name and the guy said "that's probably a good thing"...I was like "what?" and then once I left there, I realized he was probably right!! I was in no shape to do the song justice that night! I mean, ya know, hadn't warmed up the pipes....yeah

I sang discotheque once and it didn't have the boom cha's at the end. I was pissed.

Until the end of the world always gets a good reception.

others I try to sing and i mean try are

Hold me Thrill me
Mothers
SBS
The saints are coming (this is a fun song to sing)
Bad(i sing this with a friend who thinks he can hit the notes)
All i want is you
One
BD
Desire
I Will Follow
MW
AOH
Walk on

and my current fav

City of Blinding Lights.

I wish they had Bullet but no Karaoke I have been to has it.

Back
Top Bottom