U2 fans=Obsessive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm pretty much an obsessive personality. I only *really* like a few bands at a time, I can only have a few hobbies at a time because I pour all of my time, money, and energy into them.

I'm very, very happily obsessed with U2. I'm proud to admit it, and I know my life is better because of my obsession. The only artist who comes close to U2 for me is David Bowie.

I'm not obsessed. I can quit any time. I just don't want to.

But I think the more important question here is, "What does Bono think about this?"

i'm not obsessed. shut your wacket hole.
i didn't raise a kid that's a u2 fan.
i don't go to the "u" section of music and book stores first.
i don't make people i know hunt thru stores for u2 items when they're overseas.
i didn't play u2 so much that my mom thinks they're the greatest band in the world even though she doesn't listen to rock and roll.
i don't have my dad brainwashed so he automatically calls me up when he see's anything u2 related on the tv.
and i do not have this sticker on my windshield

DSC02907.jpg

I don't reckon U2 fans are necessarily more obsessive than fans of other bands, it might sometimes seem that way because U2 are the 2nd biggest and greatest band of all time with a ridiculous amount of fans, but I reckon Green Day or Radiohead fans (as in FAVOURITE band above no other) are likely to be more obsessive about the particular band. Both bands are more likely to be attached to a certain "scene" or ideal (punk or highbrow), while U2 just seem to be capable of being liked by anyone and everyone....just what I've seemed to notice.

2nd greatest? who's the first??? :doh:

2nd greatest? who's the first??? :doh:

The Beatles will be remembered as the greatest band of all time. Their appeal is unmatched.

I prefer U2 substantially more myself, but on a critical and a commercial scale, The Beatles are above everyone and anyone.

The Beatles will be remembered as the greatest band of all time. Their appeal is unmatched.

I prefer U2 substantially more myself, but on a critical and a commercial scale, The Beatles are above everyone and anyone.

Something I'll never, ever be able to understand.

I have to agree with everyone that is with every bands fans being obsessive, I know like KISS for example, they got the KISS army. It's like sports someone likes one team better then another in this case its a band.

Now I have my moments of times when I just focus on one band for a long period of time which happens to be U2 right now, even though Ive been a fan for a few years now, but lately everything is U2 that U2 this.

But some people are more obsessive then others, but as I always says to each it's own

i'm not obsessed. shut your wacket hole.
i didn't raise a kid that's a u2 fan.
i don't make people i know hunt thru stores for u2 items when they're overseas.
i didn't play u2 so much that my mom thinks they're the greatest band in the world even though she doesn't listen to rock and roll.
i don't have my dad brainwashed so he automatically calls me up when he see's anything u2 related on the tv.
and i do not have this sticker on my windshield

DSC02907.jpg

Kingofsorrow, I´m not obsessed like you, either! :no:

just my car is.....

I'm actually a lot less obsessive now than I was before. But I have a severe reswing into obsession land when a new album and tour is announced.

I'm very, very happily obsessed with U2. I'm proud to admit it, and I know my life is better because of my obsession. The only artist who comes close to U2 for me is David Bowie.

My thoughts exactly. I'm also very satisfied with my obsession, it's kept at a healthy level too. :up:

I've been thinking, are fans that have U2 as their favorite band a little obsessive or is it that way with all fans of other bands? For example, anytime I listen to my iPod or iTunes I put it on shuffle and when it comes to a U2 song I could care less about anything else in my library. I'm not the same way about my other favorite bands as I am with U2. So can anyone help me out here?

The word 'fan' itself meaning 'fanatic'.

From Merriam Webster Dictionary online:

Main Entry:fa·nat·ic
Pronunciation:\fə-ˈna-tik\
Variant(s):eek:r fa·nat·i·cal \-ti-kəl\
Function:adjective
Etymology:Latin fanaticus inspired by a deity, frenzied, from fanum temple — more at feast
Date:1550
: marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion <they're fanatic about politics>
— fanatic noun
— fa·nat·i·cal·ly \fə-ˈna-ti-k(ə-)lē\ adverb
— fa·nat·i·cal·ness \-kəl-nəs\ noun

But I've seen some go from "Excessive enthusiam" to "scary". But that can be said of fans of various bands, actors, models, celebrities... politicians...

I think that sometimes some members of interference can act in a manner that may be described as disfunctional. For example: a recent thread on EYKIW was about an article that appeared in Rolling Stone where these fellow musicians from different genre's talked about why they loved U2, and what do we get? Some people on here moaning that an article on here makes them feel embarrased to be a fan of the band. Why would they say that? Or in another thread someone includes an article of the Top 10 guitarist and the Edge appears in it. Next thing we know there are a group of interference members kicking up a fuss saying they don't know what he's doing in there above Stevie Vai, because Stevie was the fastest player ever. Here's me thinking to myself; 'That's rubbish. You don't judge a book by how many words the author can fit into one paragraph do you?' The beauty of Jonny Marr is that he created his own musical style of playing his instrument instead of being just another Jimmy Paige clone that continue to clog up rock bands today.

that is so cool. i saw a car the other day. the girl had just graduated. the whole car was covered in 2 things: " just graduated" and " i love u2".

That´s a good way to celebrate the two things that are special in her life! I like this and that´s why I decided to put the U2 logo in my car. :heart:

I just can´t say that I saw another car with U2 adhesive in my whole city :| I´m trying to find an obsessive like me.

There´s a car that I always see and it´s written: "I love my husband" :ohmy:

I keep my obession very well hidden cause it's not very acceptable to be a U2 fan in my High School.

:|

Which is unfortuante.

:sad:

I do this too! Even though I have every damn song I always go to the U section first...just...to make sure everything's in order ;)

Yah I can't speak to how obsessive other fans are of other bands, but I'm pretty damn obsessive over U2 and I know some people who are pretty damn obsessive about them as well.

My brother's favorite band is Radiohead but he is not what I would call "obsessive." I listen to U2 every single day, sometimes for very long periods of time. He doesn't do the same with that band.

In my experience, U2 fans are the most obsessive, but that's just for me.

I think that sometimes some members of interference can act in a manner that may be described as disfunctional.

you don't say...

Or in another thread someone includes an article of the Top 10 guitarist and the Edge appears in it. Next thing we know there are a group of interference members kicking up a fuss saying they don't know what he's doing in there above Stevie Vai, because Stevie was the fastest player ever. Here's me thinking to myself; 'That's rubbish. You don't judge a book by how many words the author can fit into one paragraph do you?' The beauty of Jonny Marr is that he created his own musical style of playing his instrument instead of being just another Jimmy Paige clone that continue to clog up rock bands today.

Case in point... ok, what? I get complainig about the Edge vs Steve Vai argument but where the hell did Johnny Marr come from??

Obsession is great! The only time Im not proud to be a U2 nut is when my fellow zealots cant admit when they lay a weak album. Not unlike Radiohead fans; who proclaim everything RH does as genious, (Its NOT). Everything they (U2) do isnt golden. Just consider that for a minute-- that's (to me) the line between Obessivly loving a band- and mindlessly worshiping them. (Which I CAN IMAGINE:doh: THEY WOULDNT WANT from their fans.

^ I think anyone would like people to honest with them about the work they produce.

When I was visiting a Michael Jackson forum a few weeks ago people on their were very gushing about his abilities because they were discussing the fact that he came 3rd in some poll for pop singers even though I think that the fact the poll was mostly ridiculous it kind of makes the whole thing irrelevent. Shania Twain is crap.

I think that sometimes some members of interference can act in a manner that may be described as disfunctional.

you don't say...

Please don't.

where the hell did Johnny Marr come from??

You can't see the relevancy? :tsk:

I think you're confusing us with Chris Martin Aretha Franklin.

Fixed.

When I was visiting a Michael Jackson forum a few weeks ago people on their were very gushing about his abilities because they were discussing the fact that he came 3rd in some poll for pop singers even though I think that the fact the poll was mostly ridiculous it kind of makes the whole thing irrelevent.

Let me guess, you had a fundamental disagreement over whether Michael Jackson was pop, rock, rnb or just plain ol confused as fuck?

Shania Twain is crap.

See: Marr, Johnny. Also, relevancy.

Back
Top Bottom