U2 Excerpts From Rattle and Hum CD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starvela

The Fly
Hello everyone, I was wondering if the sound quality of the live songs(in gods country, bad and wowy) from the U2 Excerpts From Rattle and Hum CD is the same sound quality as the live songs from the official rattle and hum album..or are they the same as the rattle and hum bootleg cd that has the the entire movie in it..

All of those songs are bound to turn up in remastered, upgraded form on the upcoming Rattle and Hum Deluxe Edition anyway.

All of those songs are bound to turn up in remastered, upgraded form on the upcoming Rattle and Hum Deluxe Edition anyway.

Since Paramount, NOT U2 own the rights to the songs in the movie, dont be too sure they will be released if the Rattle and Hum Deluxe Edition even gets released. Depends if U2 want to pay Paramount. Since they havent wanted to pay royalties for the cover songs in the official dvds they put out, I dont know if they will bother.

So can anybody help out?

This thread is probably dead...

I've owned EXCERPTS FROM RATTLE AND HUM since 1988; I paid $65 for one of the three copies offered to me by an Island distribution rep (at Music Warehouse in Downers Grove Illinois USA). The disposition of this particular CD is listed in my will and locked away in a bank vault.

This is an official Island Records promotional use only CD5; it has the same sound quality as the original motion picture soundtrack -which is now available on DVD. The songs, however, do fade in and out at the veginning and end, because they are professionally mixed.

Curious that you think Paramount (now Viacom) owns the rights to the songs featured in RATTLE AND HUM.

It is doubtful that U2 signed away any rights, as they've retained the copyrights and publishing of their entire catalog since the very beginning. The band and its publishing company most likely licensed the synchronization rights to Paramount. As such, Paramount (now Viacom) must pay U2 for the use of their recorded songs when used in "synch" with a projected image.

Because Paramount produced and distrusted the film, U2 MAY be required to either buy back the distributing rights or pay Viacom a licensing fee to include a DVD copy of the film in any eventual deluxe box set. I personally doubt a DVD of the film would be included in a box set, because the film has been available for years on VHS, Laser Disc, DVD, and now Blue Ray. More plausible is the inclusion of a DVD of outtakes, the b-role footage, likely retained by the film's director, Phil Joanau, or a CD of the entire Denver Colorado or Tempe Arizona concerts.

Discuss?

Could it be that Paramount own all the footage filmed for the movie but U2 independently owns the audio? Therefore U2 can release whatever they want without needing to worry about Paramount so long as its audio only. Whereas anything video (either the movie itself or outtakes) would trigger royalty payments to Paramount.

Since Paramount, NOT U2 own the rights to the songs in the movie, dont be too sure they will be released if the Rattle and Hum Deluxe Edition even gets released. Depends if U2 want to pay Paramount. Since they havent wanted to pay royalties for the cover songs in the official dvds they put out, I dont know if they will bother.

So can anybody help out?

Paramount owns the R&H film footage, including the accompanying audio track (i.e. the songs, interviews, etc.) shot by Joanou; the rights to the songs themselves belong to U2.

This means that Paramount is free to release an expanded edition of the R&H movie if they ever wished to, but obviously doesn't have the rights to release the songs themselves in audio form (e.g. CD or digital download). U2, on the other hand, can put out as many of those songs as they'd like, but needs to work something out w/Paramount (as they did for the R&H stuff in FTSD) if they want to use any of the film footage.

I have a bootleg at home called rattle and hum 2 which is more or less all the out takes from rattle and hum

There are four types of music licensing and royalties contracts at work here.

Master Use - Use an existing recording that someone else made. To my original point, above, U2 owns its master tapes catalog, so Paramount undoubtedly pays U2 for non-live recordings placed in the film, ie, AllI Want Is You. The rehearsal footage from Sun Studios, likely belongs to U2, too, because it was caught on audio tape during the recording and mixing of the final original song written and performed by U2. (As an aside, the Memphis Horns, for example, are union members and would have received a flat hourly or negotiated fee to be and perform in studio. They would not receive any royalties unless they were credited with writing/composing the original song.).

Synchronization - Record a song that someone else wrote and put it to video. Because U2 wrote and performed the song, Paramount pays U2 to "synch" the music to the film and distribute it.

Some sort of Mechanical license was required to reproduce the film on VHS/DVD, etc.

Public Performance - Perform in public a song that someone else wrote. U2 likely paid the royalty for All Along The Watchtower.

And since Jimi Hendrix's performance of The Star Spangled Banner (public domain) was played over the PA system, U2 should have paid a license fee to "broadcast" the song and a synch license to use the other artist's master recording in conjunction with the film and record.

Sterling Magee and Adam Gussow would have also received several contracts for the perpetual use of Freedom For My People. Unless U2 bought the rights and publishing, they also receive royalties for the song too, each time it's played in a theater (cue sheets) or broadcast on radio or TV.

Paramount financed (produced) the film and probably retains the distribution rights. This question could probably be answered in the liner notes of the GH vol 2 DVD. If One Tree Hill is "courtesy of Patamount Pictures (Viacom)", then U2 pays the film company for use of the images.

Ok, back to work.

Lance A Schart
Chicago, IL USA

Lance knows his shit. :up:

Thanks, GVox.

Let me know if any of you are indie film directors or producers. I'm looking for my next Music Supervior gig. (Check out @QWERTYtheMovie for my previous film...)

Cheers.

Going back to the question on the thread. I have owned the official Excerts CD since 1989 and the sound quality is better than the bootleg of the movie audio.

Going back to the question on the thread. I have owned the official Excerts CD since 1989 and the sound quality is better than the bootleg of the movie audio.

Thank you (and others) so much for you response as I have been wondering this for a very long time..!!

Back
Top Bottom