U2 Drunk - dissing Phil Collins - Billboard Awards 1992

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cool story, and it'd be great and all if that was even 1/10th of his total output. Not even the most die-hard of his fans would say that Sussudio is a fair representation of his talent.

Thanks for posting that. I remember it, too, and it is a bit shocking to watch now -- not because of what they said, but because of how different they are today. I must say I prefer U2 with a bit of an unpredictable edge (no pun intended) to them, and even though Edge and (especially) Adam were dicks here, they're real.

Ah, the old days -- when Bono pretended to have the US president on speed-dial, instead of actually having him...

(By the way, Phil Collins deserves some respect -- he was a great drummer and good singer, who's written his share of great hits. On the other hand, he did produce a few of the cheesiest records of the 80s, but thanks to hair loss, he managed to do so without a mullet.)

Can someone please tell me what is so shocking or dissing about this video? They're both clearly teasing one another, what do they call that over there - taking the piss - as part of a funny skit during an awards show. We have these skits nowadays and noone bats an eye or calls it one artist dissing another. The "you know how drummers get when they want to sing" comment is fucking hilarious, and I get zero animosity from either side personally. Phil was sending his own little sarcasm across, Edge and Adam were not being dicks, they were funny. :shrug:

Is there anything else to say that U2 didn't have respect for Phil, other than this clearly meant to be funny skit? :scratch:

Is there anything else to say that U2 didn't have respect for Phil, other than this clearly meant to be funny skit? :scratch:

Starting at 2:13

Adam: I tell ya Phil, Patty is a very good fan of your music and so are all our Parents.

Laughter

Patty: I'm not THAT old.

Adam laughs big!

Phil Collins actually did announce his retirement from music this week. i hope it wasn't because of painful memories brought back by this thread...........:wink:

Like gvox said, I don't see what's sooo bad about the vid.

the funny thing was, that this was a small pub, and had a large truck for broadcast with huge dish parked in front of it,like nothing was happening..

Maoilbheannacht said:
Starting at 2:13

You realize that I said *other than this skit, which was clearly the both of them crackin wise at each other??

Got anything else? Cause this video is not U2 dissing Phil, regardless of what the person who uploaded it entitled it.

You realize that I said other than this skit, which was clearly the both of them crackin wise at each other??

Got anything else? Cause this video is not U2 dissing Phil, regardless of what the person who uploaded it entitled it.

I watched the show that night back in December of 1992. I was taping it on VHS, and everyone thought it was funny on the weekend when I showed it to them because of the remarks made by U2 about Phil. "Drummers get funny when they start singing, Oh, our parents like your music Phil".

I mean yes, it could all be taken very lightly, but everyone back in 1992 saw it as sort of a dis towards Phil Collins, not that anyone really minded though as everyone thought the whole thing was funny.

Maoilbheannacht said:
but everyone back in 1992 saw it as sort of a dis towards Phil Collins, not that anyone really minded though as everyone thought the whole thing was funny.

I saw it then also. We all said haha they sure were cuttin each other up good. The End.

Theres a huge difference between a real dis and comedy where both parties are clearly in on the act. People hopping on this years after the fact on youtube and not realizing whats going on here likely need to get their sense of humour checked..

Thanks for posting that. I remember it, too, and it is a bit shocking to watch now -- not because of what they said, but because of how different they are today. I must say I prefer U2 with a bit of an unpredictable edge (no pun intended) to them, and even though Edge and (especially) Adam were dicks here, they're real.
This. They'd never do such a thing nowadays.

And it is hilarious.

There's no "dissing" going on here at all. Just some banter, good-natured teasing. Americans find this kind of humor hard to grasp, you have to go and spend some time on the other side of the Pond to appreciate it (like I have). It's just very funny but not in a vindictive way. Btw I'm glad Adam has ovrcome his drinking problems, but boy oh boy do I miss what a fun guy he was when he was plastered!:reject:

Agreed with the above poster. It's just a bunch of shits n giggles.

Why do we tend to have the same discussions over and over again on here? Please tell me that the next thing Maol makes a thread about isn't Bush doing SBS. :sigh:

The pub is Dockers, RIP. Was disappointed when I was last in Dublin to see the whole quayside all tarted up and the pub gone. Had a Guinness in there 20 :yikes: years ago.

Phil is a joker himself so I think it was all in good fun.

Besides, 1992 is a fairly long time ago - I think if it was even close to being an actual 'dis' that both U2 and Phil have gotten over it. :hug:

There's no "dissing" going on here at all. Just some banter, good-natured teasing. Americans find this kind of humor hard to grasp, you have to go and spend some time on the other side of the Pond to appreciate it (like I have). It's just very funny but not in a vindictive way. Btw I'm glad Adam has ovrcome his drinking problems, but boy oh boy do I miss what a fun guy he was when he was plastered!:reject:

Ok, so if it wasn't a dis, what would Edge and Adam need to say for it to be considered a dis?

Ok, so if it wasn't a dis, what would Edge and Adam need to say for it to be considered a dis?

:banghead:

You have no idea what a diss is. They would have to be serious, preferably sober, and NOT PART OF AN OBVIOUSLY COMEDIC ROUTINE DURING AN AWARDS SHOW

Like, in a proper interview or soundbite.

Take a listen to a...most ANY...rap song by Jay-Z, Nas, Kanye, Biggie, Tupac (a very short list) re their respective musical/industry beefs with one another which will clearly help you understand the term DISS. Death Of Autotune is a great start, for something fairly recent.

By your definition, Phil should definitely be seen as dissing them also, very much so!

:banghead:

You have no idea what a diss is. They would have to be serious, preferably sober, and NOT PART OF AN OBVIOUSLY COMEDIC ROUTINE DURING AN AWARDS SHOW

Um, are you aware that people can have DIFFERENT opinions about the same thing and DIFFERENT interpretations about the same thing?

So I said, ok what in your opinion would be a dis in that SETTING? Or are you claiming its impossible for a human being to dis another person when its an awards show and they have been consuming Guinness? What would the NEED TO SAY in order for it to be a dis?

Um, are you aware that people can have DIFFERENT opinions about the same thing and DIFFERENT interpretations about the same thing?

I think that it's pretty hard to interpret obvious comedy as anything else but obvious comedy. If people take offense or take comedy too seriously, this is what we call a lack of sense of humour. Do you honestly think Phil had intense jealousy over the fact that U2 outsold his tours, or that he truly looked down on them as a bunch of drunken Irishmen? That he would really want to open for U2?? If you do, you don't understand the humour in taking a few lighthearted shots at each other's soft spots. HE IS IN ON THE JOKE! There IS no other valid interpretation, it's not a matter of opinion.

The fact is, there is no evidence in this thread so far (or the 5 or six others that have started in recent years using this video as "proof") that Phil had anything against U2, or that U2 had anything against Phil. You're asking me to predict a state of mind of Adam or Edge if they did in fact have something against Phil, and to suggest what they might have said if they did in fact want to diss him. It's just a patently silly argument.

I remember this and was a bit shocked by U2's behavior. Not very nice, but the whole thing is funny. They must of knocked back a few pints before the interview. I think this was the PUB near Windmill Lane Studios near the Liffy. I can't remember the name of it. It closed down many years ago.

‪U2 Drunk - dissing Phil Collins - Billboard Awards 1992‬‏ - YouTube

There's this...and there's quasi outrage about whether Bono's facial expression during reading his own lyircs is kosher.

:up:

Clearly U2 has plenty of respect for Collins in this ad.

Except it's not an interview. Period. It's an awards acceptance skit thats clearly meant to be funny, no different than Billy Crystal taking shots at people he obvious has a ton of respect for in his awards show appearances.

Back
Top Bottom