U2 CREW: BP Fallon/ Howie B

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
Anyone know the exact story of how these members of the u2 community parted-ways? I seem to recall they got fired mid-tour (zootv and Popmart respectivatly) but i could be confusing them.

I dont recall the BP Fallon falling-out, but I think Howie B was fired for getting busted with Weed. Anyone know exactly what date of the tour, and what the weed-busted story was? at the airport? at the concert venue? with a band member?

Apparently U2 doesn't have equal standards, then, for people busted with weed?

I'm just glad they didn't bust in on Edge recording the "secret to the universe" on 'shrooms and firing him.

I don't think Howie B got fired, he just couldn't travel anymore due to the arrest.

And I've never heard of any falling out with BP Fallon...:shrug:

BP Fallon

In U2 at the End of the World, the whole tale is told. I don't want to step on toes so I'll just say that he wasn't Larry's favorite person after a few mishaps.
He wrote the intro to the Uncut special U2 edition, so perhaps he's getting closer to them.

I don't know about Howie B.

I thought that Beep was still in the loop to some extent, but there is certainly something of a falling out in ATEOTW. I can't even remember what the hell that was about, they probably thought he was a little shit or something.

I think Howie B was fired for getting busted with Weed. Anyone know exactly what date of the tour, and what the weed-busted story was? at the airport? at the concert venue? with a band member?

I heard that too, which really just sounds like a lighter version of what really happened, surely. I don't know, I'm interested in hearing about it to, but it sounds like something that's locked up a bit.

Howie B wasn't fired, as stated before. The tour had to move on, but he got busted and arrested. Kinda tough to travel when you're in jail.

Howie B wasn't fired, as stated before. The tour had to move on, but he got busted and arrested. Kinda tough to travel when you're in jail.

I don't think he was in jail, but because it was a drug-related incident he wasn't allowed to enter the USA. From what I can remember (it is almost 12 years ago after all) it was during the 3rd leg of Popmart. Howie B got caught/arrested with cannabis in Canada, but was released quickly. However, due to this, he wasn't allowed to enter the USA as they are very strict with allowing people to enter who have been arrested before.

Howie B was arrested.

BP was basically thrown off the tour after annoying the whole U2 tour crew, and finally Larry said "either Beep goes or I go".

I don't think he was in jail, but because it was a drug-related incident he wasn't allowed to enter the USA. From what I can remember (it is almost 12 years ago after all) it was during the 3rd leg of Popmart. Howie B got caught/arrested with cannabis in Canada, but was released quickly. However, due to this, he wasn't allowed to enter the USA as they are very strict with allowing people to enter who have been arrested before.
Bingo.

BP was basically thrown off the tour after annoying the whole U2 tour crew, and finally Larry said "either Beep goes or I go".
I read the book years ago and cannot remember this, what if anything did he specifically do?

ah yes you're right. That definitely rings a bell.

I think BP Fallon's leaving the tour is covered in "At The End of the World" by Bill Flanagan.

He was annoying more than Larry. Crew members were annoyed. BP was always late checking out of hotels, costing the band time and money. I think it was that and various other annoyances that added up over time.

Bingo.

I read the book years ago and cannot remember this, what if anything did he specifically do?

The tendency to skip out on the incidental charges on his hotel bills and not tipping the hotel bellboys. The hotel staff, according to ATEOTW, complained so much he got on the probation (and finally Larry then chased him in restaurants, making sure he coughs up the money for his own bills). He also had the entire Mexico flight delayed because he was missing.

I think that is the extent of his actions mentioned in the book (he was replaced by another DJ for the '93 dates).

fringe-fest4.jpg

BP Fallon is one might interesting and amazing dude, if you ever get a chance to sit down and chat with him :up:

I saw him buying cigarette papers in a shop in Dublin years ago, also I saw him doing 'Death Disco' with Shane McGowan around 5 years ago.

Ok, i checked out my U2 Encyclpedia and apparently Howie B admitted to NME that he was caught with weed at the Toronto airport leaving after opening leg 3 of PopMart there. They took away his working visa for the US and he was off the tour.

Yes, because we're all going to have that chance.

Um...ok? I had the chance in a fairly relaxed somewhat random fashion at the Into The Heart U2 fan festival in Toronto a few years back. He was witty, accomodating and when he asked me why I would ever want to be in a tribute band and what it was like, seemed genuinely interested in my response. He also struck me as unpretentious and humble. I wasn't specially singled out or anything, there are others here who probably talked to him even more than I did that weekend. :shrug: His death disco set was tres cool. :up: I only mentioned it because people might get a different opinion than what someone would write in an older book, that's all.

Back
Top Bottom