U2.com Subscriber Gift?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine arrived yesterday. It's very underwhelming. I assumed it would be a hardback, but it's a paperback format, basically like a really thick magazine (almost 300 pages). Even without taking the CD into consideration, last year's book was WAY nicer on the quality scale. The "map" itself is totally separate and not incorporated into the design of the book. And it's hardly a "map" at all, more like a poster with a few blobs representing the various regions of Dublin. It even has a note on it that reads, "This map is not to scale, it's an artistic interpretation, if you use it as an actual Dublin map you will get lost." Ha!

There's a LOT of text, and I'm sure I'll learn some interesting new tidbits about U2 in the early days (speaking of which, not all the photos are from that era, either... I saw at least one photo labeled 1987). I've never been a huge fan of Niall Stokes' writing, which can sometimes grate on a person. So it's definitely not a thrilling fan club gift.

I haven't decided whether to resubscribe yet or not. I don't have $40 to throw around, especially if the book isn't really worth it, and my subscription doesn't expire for a long time, anyway.

North Side Story just came in. It looks awesome. I look forward to reading through the book, and I love the poster/map of Dublin.

Got my email notification on Tues the 11th, and received it today on the 14th! :heart:

Just flipping thru the pics so far. I like it. :up:

I haven't decided whether to resubscribe yet or not. I don't have $40 to throw around, especially if the book isn't really worth it, and my subscription doesn't expire for a long time, anyway.

Well, put it this way - the book maybe ISN'T worth $40, but having got 150 pages in I would think it's worth the best part of that. So for my subscription I've had a great and well-put-together book you can't get anywhere else and Ordinary Love, and as I ONLY subscribed in the first place to jump the queue for tickets should they get off their arses and play somewhere within 200 miles of me in the next year I'd say I'm gonna end up ahead on the deal.

It really is a great book.

Just got the email that I had to renew, not quite sure this book is worth it and not quite sure I care about yet another book... but yeah. Tour's coming up so I will keep my membership.

my book turned up today in a big box with loads of bubble wrap around it....if I'm honest I keep the membership going more to help with tour pre-sales than anything else. The gifts from the last couple of years have been amazing- this one perhaps less interesting as there is no music this time- but I'll give it a good read over the coming weeks

Just got my reminder email today:

Re-subscribe today and we'll immediately send you your own copy of North Side Story: U2 in Dublin, 1978-1983. Inside it you'll find North And South of the River, Wandering In U2's Dublin a beautiful poster map commissioned from the band's design team.

And as a subscriber to U2.com you'll continue to receive access-all-areas on U2.com including :
All the band's music streaming in full all the time - and exclusives like a free download of 'Ordinary Love'.
Exclusive video, competitions and music
Subscriber-only content including interviews, news and behind-the-scenes tour diaries.
Zootopia, our 24/7 fan community with message boards, fan blogs and Zootopian video uploads and galleries.
U2.com mail out's and updates.
Your own @u2.com email address.
25% discount coupon against your first purchase in the U2.com Store.
Access to ticket pre-sales if the band announce a tour.

It is actually surprisingly accurate! Not on scale, but roughly everything seems to be in the right spot compared to a real map. Just missing HQ on it.

The Book is fantastic! I'm already learning some new things about the early U2 as well as the bands friends. FEEDBACK was the name of the band from September 1976 into spring 1977. I originally had thought FEEDBACK was just the name for a few weeks and then it became The Hype, but they had the FEEDBACK name for over 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom