U2.com putting Zoo TV from Sydney online next weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tommycharles

War Child
https://www.u2.com/news/title/ready-for-the-laughing-gas-

If you’ve never seen Zoo TV from Sydney... watch it on YouTube. But next weekend, you can also watch it on u2.com. I’ve long been baffled by the way none of their old concert films are available on streaming services (or even to buy anywhere), I wondered if there was some strange rights issue. But they’re at least able to stream this one for subscribers.

Yeah....another something we already have 50 times. We are in the terrible streaming age . The fun of collecting u2 stuff is over now..
Could be some more intetesting if exclusive things would be streamed. Who is taking those lousy decisions at u2.com?? Get this person fired!

Since first renting the VHS tape sometime in 1994, I’ve seen this show at least 200 times. It’s what got me obsessed with U2. Still watch it a couple times a year.

Incredible show. Great versions of many songs. Very few weak points.

That being said, you’d think they have a shit ton of unreleased stuff. How about streaming a random show from 1992 or 97’? You know they have it.

Had the DVD for years. I'm glad it's going online. It contains the zenith of all music: Running to Stand Still > Where the Streets Have No Name.

I don't think you can do much to remaster a show shot in 4:3 aspect ratio directly to tape. If it was shot in 35mm film, that would be one thing.

I don't think you can do much to remaster a show shot in 4:3 aspect ratio directly to tape. If it was shot in 35mm film, that would be one thing.

Exactly. Anything they could have done to make it better, they did in 2006 for the dvd.

For what it's worth if there are any younger fans who don't own the home video releases, I guess this is cool for them to be able to see it.

it's definitely not pointless. no one watches VHS/DVDs. if I want to play mine I have to use my housemate's PS4. we're just sooking because it's something we've seen eight trillion times :lol:

It’s good u2.com are putting these shows on to stream . They should put all physical releases On the website to stream .

I really don't get why they're not on iTunes. I would willingly buy them so I can play them on my Apple TV or Roku.

I really don't get why they're not on iTunes. I would willingly buy them so I can play them on my Apple TV or Roku.

You would think they would all be on Netflix or amazon or some streaming service . I’ve never actually looked but do other artists have concert films on these streaming services ?
I know some have documentaries on there but do they have actual concert films ?

it's definitely not pointless. no one watches VHS/DVDs. if I want to play mine I have to use my housemate's PS4. we're just sooking because it's something we've seen eight trillion times :lol:

Well, I watch concerts on dvd/blu ray on a blu ray player. And... I Enjoy all the artwork and the extras. With streaming that all will be history . Not very excited about this development....

I know we’ve all seen it numerous times before, but its not about that, its about the community watching together and commenting on it. I think its good they’re doing stuff like this.

But yeah, I do wonder why these things aren’t available to buy online in some form. I ripped the DVD copies in to iTunes years ago and still have them on there. Some sort of higher-quality master of this show in particular would be amazing.

I know we’ve all seen it numerous times before, but its not about that, its about the community watching together and commenting on it. I think its good they’re doing stuff like this.

But yeah, I do wonder why these things aren’t available to buy online in some form. I ripped the DVD copies in to iTunes years ago and still have them on there. Some sort of higher-quality master of this show in particular would be amazing.

They would have 100s of shows they could stream - going back to a widely commercially available title is a bit lame.

They would have 100s of shows they could stream - going back to a widely commercially available title is a bit lame.

But how many will they have which were professionally shot? I guess if there’s stuff in their “vault” which would be up to scratch, there would be commercial discussions to have?

I’m far from the biggest fan of U2 when it comes to what material they choose to release as i”m sure they have 1000s of shows they could release in some form, but I think its good they’re doing these viewing parties just now, regardless of what content they use.

Previously released or not (and yes, I have the DVD and used to have the VHS), it was again great to watch it. Especially with some online (Twitter) commentary, a nice online watch party. :)

OK - so the audio mix on this is FAR superior to anything released so far, even the fanclub cd.

The echo has gone, it sounds like a proper soundboard! I had always wondered why it sounded so shit all the time.

Edge's backing vocals in Dirty Day are crazy good. I'd never been able to hear them before. And I finally know what Bono is saying between some of the songs - "you are the loudest bunch of motherfuckers on earth, aren't ya?"

is there still the woman screaming during Lemon?

Much much quieter. She's still there, but it's no worse than other crowd noises.

Bass is much punchier and more audible. Bono's voice sounds far more real. The echo gone it means there are a few rough patches you didn't get before, but I prefer that. Edge vocals much higher in the mix.

What was the quality like?

1080p and the sound was superb

Mixed for a acthung baby 30th anniversary release next years maybe ? Seems stupid to do all that to the footage for just a 48 hour stream .

My guessing is there will be a blu ray of it in the set

1080p and the sound was superb

Mixed for a acthung baby 30th anniversary release next years maybe ? Seems stupid to do all that to the footage for just a 48 hour stream .

My guessing is there will be a blu ray of it in the set

The sound is the big one for me. That is a proper remaster.

The work they did for the DVD was a disappointing reproduction of the poor broadcast sound. it was echo-y and muffled. When Bono spoke it reverberated around the stadium so badly they you couldn't hear from the 3rd or 4th word of a sentence.

This is now a proper soundboard show. 5 star recording, that rivals some of their best releases. Which is befitting of some of Bono's best vocal work.

You can now actually hear Larry singing "I feel numb" in the bits that he isn't singing along with a backing track.
The Edge's harmony in Dirty Day being louder is a massive improvement.
I hope there ends up being a rip of this.

That’s funny. I clicked onto the stream for a couple of minutes yesterday and even “television the drug of the nation” sounded different, but I thought... no... they wouldn’t have changed the sound just for this.

Whether or not it was just for this, I’m pleased it wasn’t just me hearing things. Going to listen to the whole thing now.

Back
Top Bottom