U2.com – Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary Editions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think some of them seem very plodding on first listen, but they are really quite well structured and layered when you pay attention. Streets is the only miss - even then the alternate vocal makes it worth a listen

Love the Bullet mix, and really enjoy RHMT. Don't care for WOWY (for me, the remix removes all the heart and soul from the song and I just don't care for it). Same feeling with Streets.

The OTH remix is growing on me though. The build-up is really cool and I'm digging it.

LOVE the live concert - it's fantastic. Really liking the Lillywhite mix of Still Haven't Found, too. Love the whole band joining in for the chorus.

I would LOVE to to hear an isolated vocal of Streets. The remix doesn't do it for me, but man Bono vocal on Streets is really amazing..... You don't tend to realise as much with all the amazing stuff happening in that song.

I agree the WOWY mix kinda takes the life from it... Almost sounds like a karaoke version in some way.

Still digging the Bullet remix.

One Tree Hill - my expectations were low for this but it's good. I don't know if I'll listen to it again but it's pleasant

Bullet - More like Hacknife Lee, amirite? A mess a generic gritty sounds and wretched drum programming. Everything about this is bad and cliched. One of the worst things U2 have released.

Running to Stand Still, Lanois mix - incredible. The layering of guitars and musical development is masterful. Replace Edge with Lanois ASAP please, or at least bring him on to produce/write and LISTEN TO HIM. His last two albums are astounding.

Red Hill 2017 - clever to use echo to ease 2017 Bono into 1987 Bono and the latter seems even more powerful when backed with his current self. This version is fine and it's interesting to hear what was buried in the song but there's no reason for it to exist.

With Or Without You, Lanois mix - again, amazing. The music is alive; there are so many elements coming and going. I love how Lanois is giving the stage to Bono's voice in his mixes while creating beds that would work amazingly well as instrumental tracks on their own. Christ this is good. I'd love to hear him remix the whole album.

Streets, Flood mix - Having the lyrics follow "outside it's America" in this ghostly setting was brilliant. This is haunting, a prayer meeting in a wasteland. The part when the song we know kicks in is powerful but not long enough, but I like how it ends on a long section of Edge's arpeggio over that bed. Maybe all is not lost? I like the alternate vocal take too. I was looking forward to this one the most and it didn't disappoint, but a couple extra minutes would have helped it develop.

Looking For, Lillywhite - this guy doesn't have much imagination, does he? It's cool to hear the rhythm section be the focus but it sounds more like a demo version than a remix. Better than the Red Hill mix anyway, and I think I will listen to this again.

One Tree Hill, Eno - almost like he was going to remix the whole song and thought, "fuck it, after NLOTH these guys can go fuck themselves." It was over before it started and while pleasant enough is pointless.

Lanois exceeded my expectations, I love those. Sonically they're in line with his recent work but with the bones of two of the best songs ever made supporting them.

Flood too was great but not long enough.

Lillywhite was as expected.

St Francis Hotel mix is good.

Hacknife Lee is terrible at music. He should stop.

I would honestly love U2 to go back to Lanois. Having said that something about the instrumental and vocal on the RTTSS remix doesn't quite gel for me. I will agree to disagree on Bullet though. However, I also like Jacknifes remix of Fast Cars so make of that what you will. He could bring that "fuck off" vibe Bono was talking about.

Last edited:
The Lanois mixes are interesting but it feels like a cookie cutter imprint stamp at this point.

Lillywhite tends to go more for the alternative version style rather than the real remix thing imo

I really enjoy the Alternate mix or whatever it's called of ISHFWILF.

The drums, bass and guitar sound so crisp!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Joshua Tree remixes. 30 years on. A solution to a non-existent problem.

Would I be the only one here to totally not give a crap? Such a useless exercise. Milk it baby.

Would I be the only one here to totally not give a crap? Such a useless exercise. Milk it baby.

A few are better than expected and it was exciting to hear them...but it still is milking.

The two don't have to be mutually exclusive.

P.S. So I take it you're not on board?

Last edited:
I thought that JT20 was satisfactory, but this seems a little less. The live album does offer another branch to this continual project.

Looking For, Lillywhite - this guy doesn't have much imagination, does he? It's cool to hear the rhythm section be the focus but it sounds more like a demo version than a remix. Better than the Red Hill mix anyway, and I think I will listen to this again.

One Tree Hill, Eno - almost like he was going to remix the whole song and thought, "fuck it, after NLOTH these guys can go fuck themselves." It was over before it started and while pleasant enough is pointless.

You prefer Looking for over his Red hill mix ? To each his own...

As for Eno's One tree hill -- yeah, what was that ? 2 minutes wasted, do the whole song or don't bother.

The live CD is great. A real shame it was edited down but it goes well with Live in Paris which has TUF, Bad etc.

One Tree Hill - my expectations were low for this but it's good. I don't know if I'll listen to it again but it's pleasant

Bullet - More like Hacknife Lee, amirite? A mess a generic gritty sounds and wretched drum programming. Everything about this is bad and cliched. One of the worst things U2 have released.

Running to Stand Still, Lanois mix - incredible. The layering of guitars and musical development is masterful. Replace Edge with Lanois ASAP please, or at least bring him on to produce/write and LISTEN TO HIM. His last two albums are astounding.

Red Hill 2017 - clever to use echo to ease 2017 Bono into 1987 Bono and the latter seems even more powerful when backed with his current self. This version is fine and it's interesting to hear what was buried in the song but there's no reason for it to exist.

With Or Without You, Lanois mix - again, amazing. The music is alive; there are so many elements coming and going. I love how Lanois is giving the stage to Bono's voice in his mixes while creating beds that would work amazingly well as instrumental tracks on their own. Christ this is good. I'd love to hear him remix the whole album.

Streets, Flood mix - Having the lyrics follow "outside it's America" in this ghostly setting was brilliant. This is haunting, a prayer meeting in a wasteland. The part when the song we know kicks in is powerful but not long enough, but I like how it ends on a long section of Edge's arpeggio over that bed. Maybe all is not lost? I like the alternate vocal take too. I was looking forward to this one the most and it didn't disappoint, but a couple extra minutes would have helped it develop.

Lanois exceeded my expectations, I love those. Sonically they're in line with his recent work but with the bones of two of the best songs ever made supporting them.

Flood too was great but not long enough.

Lillywhite was as expected.

St Francis Hotel mix is good.

Hacknife Lee is terrible at music. He should stop.

I have the total opposite feeling on Streets and Bullet, but agree almost 100% with everything else.

Streets was a waste, but I liked Bullet, especially the end.

Couldn't you say the same with most alternate cuts or remixes? Unless you're mixing it to be played in clubs, they're always just different takes for fans, that's nothing new. Piss it baby.

You prefer Looking for over his Red hill mix ? To each his own...

As for Eno's One tree hill -- yeah, what was that ? 2 minutes wasted, do the whole song or don't bother.

I'm guessing since St Francis Hotel already did a full remix of "One Tree Hill", Eno probably was asked (wanted to?) tackle the quiet coda at the end of the song (hence the "Reprise" in the name). That part of the song in the original version has his name written all over it.

The remixes are pretty cool. I like how radically different they are from the songs we've come to know for so long.

I kept waiting for Bowie to come in at the end of BTBS....I'M AFRAID OF AMERICANS!!!!

My biggest gripe is that they should have done what they did with AB20 - 'baby' versions of each song. The TJT album doco has them sifting through early vocal parts and all sorts.

Bullet MSG Live JT 30th

Anyone else notice the performance of Bullet from the MSG live recording is actually the performance from 11/7/87 Denver? The part of Bono's rant where he says "so I went walking out into the Rocky Mountains". The "out into the Rocky Mountains" part has been edited out.
Also, the Start Spangled Banner intro wasn't used at the MSG shows.:sexywink::hmm:

Back
Top Bottom