U2.com – Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary Editions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm guessing syncing footage of them performing IGC with the audio from the R&H performance was due to sound quality. If I recall they only did other songs that day to keep the crowds happy and excited while they set up to film Streets.

I really don't know why people think Paramount would be so difficult when U2 shit is basically a licence to print money.

Well it depends, there are two issues...including the R&H movie as it is in a possible box set, and then using "unreleased" R&H footage as "new" bonus material.

I'm not sure what the incentive for Paramount to allow U2 to include the film in a box set, given the existing DVD & BD is not OOP as far as I know. I also don't frankly see the point unless the film is cleaned up & given a new transfer....so who pays for that?

With regards to R&H outtakes, I'm not even sure where the actual film is being stored...with U2 or in the Paramount archives? I suppose it's possible that while Paramount owns the R&H film, U2 has ownership of the raw footage, but that's just speculation. I do know that McG made sure U2 retained the ancillary (including home distribution) rights to U23D after the experience w/Paramount...i.e. essentially having to sign over the rights in order to finance the film.

In any event, if Paramount has the film it's likely that the negatives might not be in the best shape, depending how it was stored (you'd be surprised). So that would have to be cleaned up, mastered, etc....not to mentioned edited into something coherent, if it's going to be used. It's not just a matter of throwing onto a disc. Again, who pays for this? Who has creative control?

No doubt, the two parties could work something out if the profit potential is enough...but I'm not certain it's there.

Last edited:
https://twitter.com/neil_mccormick/status/847417321412935681
C8KhijwUwAAmsJP.jpg

I pre ordered the Super Deluxe last night from Apple for $25.

I'm the end, all the songs end up on my iPhone anyway. I will likely also buy a CD of the regular version(white cover) just to have cause I'm a nerd.

What's really fun is now I will have 4 copies of the original JT(my first rip of the original back in 2004, the "complete U2" package from Apple in 2005, the remastered in 2007 and now this) in my library.....FFS

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Well it depends, there are two issues...including the R&H movie as it is in a possible box set, and then using "unreleased" R&H footage as "new" bonus material.

I'm not sure what the incentive for Paramount to allow U2 to include the film in a box set, given the existing DVD & BD is not OOP as far as I know. I also don't frankly see the point unless the film is cleaned up & given a new transfer....so who pays for that?

With regards to R&H outtakes, I'm not even sure where the actual film is being stored...with U2 or in the Paramount archives? I suppose it's possible that while Paramount owns the R&H film, U2 has ownership of the raw footage, but that's just speculation. I do know that McG made sure U2 retained the ancillary (including home distribution) rights to U23D after the experience w/Paramount...i.e. essentially having to sign over the rights in order to finance the film.

In any event, if Paramount has the film it's likely that the negatives might not be in the best shape, depending how it was stored (you'd be surprised). So that would have to be cleaned up, mastered, etc....not to mentioned edited into something coherent, if it's going to be used. It's not just a matter of throwing onto a disc. Again, who pays for this? Who has creative control?

No doubt, the two parties could work something out if the profit potential is enough...but I'm not certain it's there.

paramount is absolutely shitting money right now. they lost ~$450 million last year and replaced their CEO, i'm sure they'd be happy with anything that's a guaranteed money-maker right now. i don't think paramount would be much of an issue unless there was some sort of already-existing legal obstacle.

Crossing my fingers that it's available on streaming services. Otherwise that's what the Music On The Internet subforum is for. :)

paramount is absolutely shitting money right now. they lost ~$450 million last year and replaced their CEO, i'm sure they'd be happy with anything that's a guaranteed money-maker right now. i don't think paramount would be much of an issue unless there was some sort of already-existing legal obstacle.

I don't see how a reissue of a movie that's been available on VHS, DVD & BD for decades is a "guaranteed moneymaker." Especially if they have to put money into restoring it.

Sure, a deal could be struck between U2 & Paramount to include R&H & outtakes on a future JT or R&H release. But the issue isn't how much R&H is worth to Paramount, it's how much it's worth to U2. I'm not saying it can't happen, in fact I think it probably will someday. But there's a reason it hasn't happened yet.

Last edited:
If they had a Rattle and Hum: Definitive/Director's Cut, or something that included extra footage that showed the humorous side of the band, it might be worth it. A straight remastered re-release probably wouldn't get much traction with anyone except the hardcore fans.

I can't imagine them getting critically attacked again if it was re-released
or enhanced. What may have seemed arrogant in 1988, rubbing shoulders with musical legends both dead and alive as if they were peers has since been vindicated by their own pantheon status.

I don't see how a reissue of a movie that's been available on VHS, DVD & BD for decades is a "guaranteed moneymaker." Especially if they have to put money into restoring it.

Mate, the amount of rabid hardcore fans who'll drop dollarydoos on anything that says "U2" is large enough to justify all kinds of ridiculous shit that wouldn't make money for smaller bands.

Your point about restoration is taken, but assuming the masters have not been lying at the bottom of some Paramount exec's toolshed for the last three decades, I doubt they'd be in too bad a shape. As long as they're fine, there are plenty of people who'd throw all sorts of money at anything involving Rattle & Hum, especially if there's unreleased material. Look at all the people laying down money for this repetitive, unnecessary JT30 set!

I've wanted to see Rattle and Hum in a cinema for a while, never seen a screening advertised though. Wonder if there's a DCP or if the original film prints are still in circulation.

Hopefully it will hit streaming services soon. It seems every article is linking to the Fanning show and forcing people to fast forward to the part of the show where it was played.

Figured I'd buy the vinyl box and I like how it complements the 20th anniversary edition for me with the only major bit of redundancy being having the album and associated tracks on vinyl this time instead of CD...so there's a lot of great bonus stuff here for the fans.

Just not sure what option would be best...Amazon or Amoeba (since they have killer coupon codes and fine prices) or perhaps going with U2.com since you can get the cool tote bag for seemingly the same overall price. Tough decision.

The TJT30 Marketing Blitzkrieg is just fine with me but where the fuck are the new 2017 subscribers gifts from u2.com?

Still an important question. The hilarious part is that new subscribers are offered either that as the "mystery box" or they can go with the awful gift from last year which is like four SOI postcards. I'm not sure who in their right mind wouldn't go for the potential vinyl/cd/book offering instead of a couple pieces of cardboard.

I really don't know why people think Paramount would be so difficult when U2 shit is basically a licence to print money.

On the one hand, the physical media market for films and television shows has really dried up in recent years.

On the other hand, Paramount had no problem ensuring that Rattle & Hum was reissued as soon as possible on DVD, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, so it clearly is a moneymaker. Even today, U2 is probably in that "safe zone" with boomer acts like Pink Floyd and The Beatles where they could do a lot of major reissues and still have people buy them.

Figured I'd buy the vinyl box and I like how it complements the 20th anniversary edition for me with the only major bit of redundancy being having the album and associated tracks on vinyl this time instead of CD...so there's a lot of great bonus stuff here for the fans.

Just not sure what option would be best...Amazon or Amoeba (since they have killer coupon codes and fine prices) or perhaps going with U2.com since you can get the cool tote bag for seemingly the same overall price. Tough decision.

I'm not sure where you're from Big Mac, but check out this post about the box set on SuperDeluxeEdition if you don't already know the site? They always have a list showing which site's offering it the cheapest so depending on how much the P+P is to where you are you could save a lot if you're not determined to get that tote bag?

I do know of that site but not their price comparison. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom