U2.com – Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary Editions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unfortunately, restoring & including an expanded version of the R&H film in such a set is a little more complicated b/c Paramount owns all that footage, but a full video of a Lovetown performance, which U2 does own, would be nice as well.

I doubt this would be particularly difficult. It's U2, after all, and both parties would - or should - see the opportunity for some pretty reasonable profits.

I doubt this would be particularly difficult. It's U2, after all, and both parties would - or should - see the opportunity for some pretty reasonable profits.

Perhaps, but the problem is, I suspect the raw 16mm R&H footage probably isn't in the best shape, and I wonder if either party would see enough profit potential to justify a proper restoration and new transfer...which wouldn't necessarily be cheap if done right.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it, it's my favourite U2 era. I just don't have faith that there's anyone involved in the decision making process that cares enough to put the kind of thought into a these releases that they deserve.

On further reflection, this is a silly release. I am hoping the 4 CD set drops considerably in price on Amazon.

I mean, I am a silly person and will still buy it, but it's not worth the price it's currently listed for.

And if they really wanted to do a super deluxe set, put a R&H remaster in there. Separate the live and studio stuff like they should have to start with. Put all the studio tracks (including the b-sides) from the R&H era onto one disc, and ALL the live tracks from the film on another. Call the studio disc "Rattle & Sun" and call the live disc "Outside it's America". Include the old fan club Point Depot disc as well.

That sounds like a good idea. I personally prefer the studio material on Rattle & Hum over the live songs and would love to have a disk of just that by itself, especially if it had some bonus songs on it.

Unfortunately, restoring & including an expanded version of the R&H film in such a set is a little more complicated b/c Paramount owns all that footage, but a full video of a Lovetown performance, which U2 does own, would be nice as well.

I don't know the nuts and bolts of how deals like that work, but I'm sure they could get something done if they cared about it enough. Couldn't they just buy it from Paramount? I'm sure it's not exactly a huge cash cow for them and can't imagine that it would be super expensive, as far as movies go. But, again, I don't know anything about these things. :der:

On further reflection, this is a silly release. I am hoping the 4 CD set drops considerably in price on Amazon.

I mean, I am a silly person and will still buy it, but it's not worth the price it's currently listed for.

Releasing it on vinyl is a good move, there's definitely a market there, a lot of people will have been disappointed the 2007 extras were only on CD.
But yeah, the 4 CD version is a silly release. I almost admire the sheer brass neck of it! :lol:

Incomplete or not, including the concert on a disc is cool and if that's all you want at least you can save a shitload and just buy the 2CD version for £11! But in the 4 disc set the other two discs are
1) the 2007 bonus disc but with two tracks that belong on the remix disc slotted in presumably to avoid being called out on repackaging the same disc from ten years ago.
2) a remix disc jam packed with......6 tracks!

If you already have the 2007 set but want a physical copy of that extra 1.5 discs worth of live music/remixes, you have to spend nearly 100 quid to get it with a book and prints in that fuck ugly box. :doh: Again, no-one's forcing me to buy the set, but if the 4 discs just came on their own for £20ish, I would honestly consider [re]buying [half of] it!

On further reflection, this is a silly release.

82fbfe5fbc236a055907fdd24f7c4596.jpg

:lol: let's not go there again.

When we were chatting last weekend he mentioned WOWY, but spoke at greater length about what he had done on Running To Stand Still with his pedal steel guitar. That should be something to hear.

Speaking of that guitar, he told me a really cool story about it. Apparently it was stolen many years ago while working with the band, but the thieves were stupid enough to do it in full view of security cams. When Bono and co. found out who did it, they bribed the thieves with more valuable U2 gear to get back Danny's beloved instrument - the very one he was setting up and playing as we spoke and same one used on the RTSS remix. Kinda cool.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

:lol: let's not go there again.

When we were chatting last weekend he mentioned WOWY, but spoke at greater length about what he had done on Running To Stand Still with his pedal steel guitar. That should be something to hear.

Speaking of that guitar, he told me a really cool story about it. Apparently it was stolen many years ago while working with the band, but the thieves were stupid enough to do it in full view of security cams. When Bono and co. found out who did it, they bribed the thieves with more valuable U2 gear to get back Danny's beloved instrument - the very one he was setting up and playing as we spoke and same one used on the RTSS remix. Kinda cool.

Oh yeah, have you posted video or a summary of your experience?!

Oh yeah, have you posted video or a summary of your experience?!

Well we didn't video any of our afternoon soundcheck/hangout and pre-show dinner with him and his group, of course. And my summary might be more like a novel lol. There were a lot of fan shot videos on Facebook tho.

Funny thing is..I completely forgot to ask him about why RHMT was dropped as a single :lol:

Well we didn't video any of our afternoon soundcheck/hangout and pre-show dinner with him and his group, of course. And my summary might be more like a novel lol. There were a lot of fan shot videos on Facebook tho.

Funny thing is..I completely forgot to ask him about why RHMT was dropped as a single :lol:

I'm sure it was an amazing experience, congrats again.

Just two questions though:

Battlestar Galactica?

Did he say if Larry was on board?

R&H remaster and film restoration...:hyper:

I know that R&H and Pop are U2's albatrosses, but both would do well to be re-released. I'm sure Paramount and U2 can work something out and there are TONS of outtakes and live footage they could add. The Blu-Ray release of R&H is :doh:...I mean the Bonus Feature is the Trailer...:rolleyes:

I'm thinking SOE is a look back at that time period, so what better time to release this than 6 months to a year after SOE is released...time will tell...:yes:

I met Irvine and his partner a few years ago, and we tried to explain the Battlestar Gallactica thing to his partner (among other things from.that same poster).

Tears of laughter may have been involved.

U2's facebook page just posted an HD clip of In God's Country from the rooftop gig/Streets video shoot. Looks great, I didn't realise anything besides the Streets video was out there, officially or otherwise.

Hoping this means there's a bunch of other stuff that's been remastered and ready for a JT blu ray set later in the year :hmm: surely a 2017 concert is a dead cert anyway? But stick it in a decent Joshua Tree set with the original videos, a 1987 gig (the full Tempe gig would be amazing) and whatever other extras and I'll happily fork over my money.

They performed several songs during the filming to keep fans from being bored. It was kind of a mini concert. Only bad quality bootleg handicam footage has existed from the Streets video shoot of the other songs done that day.

:up: yeah, I'd read it ended up a mini concert, like you said! pretty exciting then if this is the first extra footage that's come out

U2's facebook page just posted an HD clip of In God's Country from the rooftop gig/Streets video shoot. Looks great, I didn't realise anything besides the Streets video was out there, officially or otherwise.

Hoping this means there's a bunch of other stuff that's been remastered and ready for a JT blu ray set later in the year :hmm: surely a 2017 concert is a dead cert anyway? But stick it in a decent Joshua Tree set with the original videos, a 1987 gig (the full Tempe gig would be amazing) and whatever other extras and I'll happily fork over my money.

The audio sounds like it was the In God's Country that was filmed for Rattle and Hum, I think the Denver show.

...yeah just went and watched that and you're absolutely right. well, that shuts me up. :wink:

Still - love the idea about a blu ray set:

Should be:
- full JT17 show
- full JT87 show previously unreleased (LA, Tempe in full etc)
- all film clips
- outside its America
- Joshua Tree classic albums doco
- extras from the tour -interviews, TV performances (lots of)
- Streets shoot extras
- Dalton Brothers
- full JT17 audio in a choice of format (vinyl or cd with digital download) I would prefer this be one whole show, but if it is TJT Live 17 with the best performances of the 11 tracks over the tour, I am cool. Maybe full show with the blu ray and the best of as U2.com gift?

What it will be:
- JT17 tour blu ray with only the JT tracks +PITNOL, IALW, and Vertigo x2
- uber deluxe edition with Paris DVD.
- WOWY film clip

Last edited:
The TJT30 Marketing Blitzkrieg is just fine with me but where the fuck are the new 2017 subscribers gifts from u2.com?

Should be:
- full JT17 show
- all film clips
- outside its America
- Streets shoot extras
- Dalton Brothers
- full JT17 audio in a choice of format (vinyl or cd with digital download) I would prefer this be one whole show, but if it is TJT Live 17 with the best performances of the 11 tracks over the tour, I am cool. Maybe full show with the blu ray and the best of as U2.com gift?

What it will be:
- WOWY film clip

:lol:

Probably not wrong.

And add to your dream ultra-mega-blowout-deluxe edition the entire "rock 'n' roll stops the traffic" San Fran performance too.

Pathetic.

It's really poor, isn't it? Not sure they care that much about their live archive.

In that recent FB interview, Bono couldn't even remember that they started some JT Tour gigs with Stand By Me/C'mon Everybody. I think we know/care more than they do.

Should be:
- full JT17 show
- all film clips
- outside its America
- Streets shoot extras
- Dalton Brothers

What it will be:
- WOWY film clip

Will there be a DVD for tour this short though ? I think we've a better chance of TV filming Bonaroo...

JT87 in full would be nice but might be too $$ and/or legally complicated (Paramount most likely owns the footage for Rattle and Hum). For all we know they already tried this for the 20th anniversary and well..we got Paris.
Too bad but at least we got new stuff unlike AB reissue with, again, Sydney on DVD.

I really don't know why people think Paramount would be so difficult when U2 shit is basically a licence to print money.

Back
Top Bottom