U2.com – Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary Editions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm fine with my 20th anniversary set, thanks. DGAF about 2017 remixes or an incomplete show.

What about that 84 page book with pictures by the Edge. I was going to get the super deluxe package for Achtung Baby but never got around to it. I think I'll actually pick this up, even though I already have the 20th. There is new stuff there, art, music , remixes and some live stuff I may not have listened to before or at least not in a long time. Plus it goes well with seeing them twice in concert just a few weeks later. Lets Party!

This sort of thing is all well and good for collectors, but I won't be spending a nickel on any of this. No need, I already have most everything, and the few things I don't have I can just rip off YouTube without feeling bad about it; they have enough of my money over 22 years of being a fan.

Thats the way most people treat all music these days. Why should I purchase any music when I can get it free over the internet. There was a time when artist and musicians were payed for their work in the studio. Those days are over.

But me, I still buy music. Compact Disk that I play on my Compact Disk Player.

Thats the way most people treat all music these days. Why should I purchase any music when I can get it free over the internet. There was a time when artist and musicians were payed for their work in the studio. Those days are over.

But me, I still buy music. Compact Disk that I play on my Compact Disk Player.

I still pay for music 95% of the time. Anytime an artist I follow puts out a new album, I buy it. I even bought SOI!! But I'm not paying for this.

Is the version there an audience recording or is it from the sound board / mixing desk?

I don't know what the source of the recording on the Vault is, but I have a great audience source of the show in question. It's a fantastic performance - Bono really gives it his all in the first run through of ISHFWILF (without the gospel choir). Incredible stuff. The whole show is really fantastic.

With one notable problem - the recorder is settting up his gear during Streets - may be trying to dodge security. As such, the first 3/4 of that song has shifty sound. In the last quarter it really settles in. For years I've been thinking how great it would be to have a full, quality recording of this show. Maybe this is it. If that's the case, for Streets alone I'll look at getting this. Not bothered by the omitted tunes.

Just when I think U2 has sunk to the lows with a heritage act tour they go and sink lower by repackaging and reselling an album they already repackaged and resold before.

Lame.

Really didn't think U2 would become one of those bands.

The recording might be from Bill Graham x San Francisco personal collection called Wolfgang s Vault.

Is the version there an audience recording or is it from the sound board / mixing desk?

It is a soundboard recording. I'm sure the professionally mixed version from the 30th anniversary release will sound even better, but still, I just wish they chose a wholly unreleased show.

Super deluxe on iTunes is 25 bucks. That will have to do. At least I'll have the new mixes

Okay...can live with this. Thanks for sharing. I was worried the only way to get the new mixes was to spend $100. Getting a nicely mastered live album and the new mixes for $25 ain't too bad.

Just when I think U2 has sunk to the lows with a heritage act tour they go and sink lower by repackaging and reselling an album they already repackaged and resold before.

Lame.

Really didn't think U2 would become one of those bands.

Don't buy it. It really is THAT simple.

They're hoping to get new fans that weren't around buying the 20th. Let those people enjoy it, don't buy it, and don't be lame.

There probably isn't that many of them. If something was recorded via soundboard it probably would have been leaked long ago.

There probably isn't that many of them. If something was recorded via soundboard it probably would have been leaked long ago.

Not necessarily true. Not sure where the original quote comes from but I remember the band saying they have recorded EVERY show since sometime in the 80s. I'm assuming that would include the Joshua Tree tour.

They're hoping to get new fans that weren't around buying the 20th. Let those people enjoy it, don't buy it, and don't be lame.

yeah i don't really understand. they're opening up the vault (a little bit) with some of this material, so that's cool. and they're clearly making a big deal of JT30, so re-releasing it makes sense.

if you want to argue price points, fine, whatever, but you are probably getting a lot of stuff with the $170 version. the art, packaging, etc. i'll buy it because i buy pretty much everything, but they're not making me buy it.

Totally agree and I won't be buying it.

Maybe others will see value in it...more power to them. Hope they enjoy it.

I still think it's a lame money grab by a band I once thought was above that. I was wrong about the band. :doh:

It looks like a lovely package but I'm remembering a comment Bono made in an interview some years ago (was it around the time of 'The Complete U2' or the JT 20 year re-release?)

He talked about 'completists' like they were wierdo fans that buy everything that U2 releases. He strongly suggested that those who already have the album to not buy it again, and that the new release was more for 'new' fans that didn't have the material already.. he was quite vocal on that.. the big problem was that, (memory coming back) that you COULD NOT get hold of 'Native Son' or all the new material unless you bought the whole fucking package... that really pissed me off at the time, particularly given his comments.

It will be interesting to see if I can get hold of the new material this time around without buying my 10th copy of The bleedin' Joshua tree

Last edited:
April 22 is Record Store Day this year, so looks like we will have to wait a month to hear this.

that's awesome - I hope they do that for record store day in the UK.. my local (Spillers in Cardiff) has queues around the block

Fucking picture discs. I thought RSD were encouraging people to stop doing this shit.

Just because it is released then doesn't mean it won't be heard first. Ordinary Love was heard long before the Black Friday pressing.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

No Womanfish? Fucking get out of here.

But seriously, I won't be buying this. It is of very limited interest, especially as I already have - and am quite happy with - the 20th anniversary box set. The bonus material is weak, especially given what we know is lurking in the vault. There are literally no unreleased songs, despite the fact some exist (like old mate Womanfish! Or the 1987 Sun Studio sessions that include She's a Mystery to Me. Or the early version of Heartland cut from the album in favour of Trip). I have almost no interest in remixes or alternative mixes of songs; in the past I've usually listened to them once or twice and only ever return to them by accident when I'm not looking closely as I scroll through iTunes. The MSG show would be exciting if they hadn't cut some of the more interesting songs; I appreciate they wanted to fit it on one disc, but why you'd remove Bad is just beyond me, and MLK was the bloody intro for UF so it's strange to not include the latter.

Really the only thing about which I'm curious is this "reprise" of One Tree Hill. Something based around the "oh great ocean/sea, run to the ocean/sea" bit, perhaps? Though that's the least interesting part of the song.

If they had to do another boxset - and to be honest it makes sense to issue one in conjunction with the tour, especially as many casual fans are likely to chuck money at one while visiting the merch desk - I feel like it could have been better than this. I would honestly feel much more positively about this release if there were just one or two completely new tracks. I'd even settle for early versions of songs if they differ substantially from the final version!

Anyway, that's my thoughts. I've no problem with the band putting this out, and I am sure it must appeal a fair bit to some fans. But for the reasons above it's just not what I hoped for when I first saw the headline on social media and clicked eagerly on the link.

No Womanfish? Fucking get out of here.

But seriously, I won't be buying this. It is of very limited interest, especially as I already have - and am quite happy with - the 20th anniversary box set. The bonus material is weak, especially given what we know is lurking in the vault. There are literally no unreleased songs, despite the fact some exist (like old mate Womanfish! Or the 1987 Sun Studio sessions that include She's a Mystery to Me. Or the early version of Heartland cut from the album in favour of Trip). I have almost no interest in remixes or alternative mixes of songs; in the past I've usually listened to them once or twice and only ever return to them by accident when I'm not looking closely as I scroll through iTunes. The MSG show would be exciting if they hadn't cut some of the more interesting songs; I appreciate they wanted to fit it on one disc, but why you'd remove Bad is just beyond me, and MLK was the bloody intro for UF so it's strange to not include the latter.

Really the only thing about which I'm curious is this "reprise" of One Tree Hill. Something based around the "oh great ocean/sea, run to the ocean/sea" bit, perhaps? Though that's the least interesting part of the song.

If they had to do another boxset - and to be honest it makes sense to issue one in conjunction with the tour, especially as many casual fans are likely to chuck money at one while visiting the merch desk - I feel like it could have been better than this. I would honestly feel much more positively about this release if there were just one or two completely new tracks. I'd even settle for early versions of songs if they differ substantially from the final version!

Anyway, that's my thoughts. I've no problem with the band putting this out, and I am sure it must appeal a fair bit to some fans. But for the reasons above it's just not what I hoped for when I first saw the headline on social media and clicked eagerly on the link.

Hard to argue with this. My point of interest for buying is to have vinyl versions of the b-sides and other tracks from the 20th, and decent audio quality live U2 on vinyl. The book will be interesting considering I made the trip to Death Valley last year, and my wife is a photographer.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm excited to hear the eight remixes.
That's pretty cool. We could have just got the same B-sides and outtake we already have, and nothing else.

That being said, I'm sure more sketches and demos like Rise Up exist. Shame we don't get those. Rise Up is so brilliant!

Bummer UF and Bad are cut from MSG show. They should have cut ISHFWILF and Pride, which are both on R&H from that tour. Or cut Party Girl too if you need more time.

At least we have those two on Paris 87. And various other unmentionables...

Back
Top Bottom