U2.com – Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary Editions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will ultimately wind up on Spotify as well, I'm sure.

P.S. They finally got ALL of Pop on there (for those who haven't noticed, such as myself until last week).

Last edited:
As far as the cut live tracks, you can watch the pro shot footage of the msg show on YouTube. Spanish Eyes was performed very poorly and half assed, with Bono obviously losing his place for the entire song and just occasionally yelling "way hey hey!" TUF never sounded good live, IMO, and this is no exception. Bono simply couldn't sing it live.

Some of the JT versions of "Bad" were very meandering and didn't really take off, and this might be one of them.

This sort of thing is all well and good for collectors, but I won't be spending a nickel on any of this. No need, I already have most everything, and the few things I don't have I can just rip off YouTube without feeling bad about it; they have enough of my money over 22 years of being a fan.

For those interested, Universal Music is selling most of The Joshua Tree 30th sets for cheaper prices than u2.com albeit without the bonus merchandise (like t-shirts, vinyl bag):

U2 - Online Store

For those interested, Universal Music is selling most of The Joshua Tree 30th sets for cheaper prices than u2.com albeit without the bonus merchandise (like t-shirts, vinyl bag):

U2 - Online Store

How is that even possible? U2.com just slapping markup on stuff the band's label is selling directly? :doh:

This band is shit at the reissue game. They did a great job of the first five albums. But when it came to Achtung Baby, their most celebrated album, the only release it on vinyl in an expensive four disc set with two LPs of remixes? Then they don't even bother with Zooropa...oh did I forget Rattle and Hum?

I disagree that they're "shit at the reissue game", unless you're going to solely judge it on the vinyl availability.

Last edited:
It's funny I found the vinyl version on the clearance rack at target a few years back for 6 whole dollars. I regret only buying the one.

I do have the double LP that I believe was issued in 2007, but there it would be cool to have the B-sides, live shows, and extras on vinyl. I'm also a sucker for this era's aesthetic so it's certainly tempting me.

Thoughts on the alternate white album cover? I actually really like it.

Edit: Wow at the price discrepancy from Universal. $130 is more reasonable than $180. Wonder if I can get Amazon to price match...

I like the White cover. The other covers are cropped just enough to distinguish.

I disagree that they're "shit at the reissue game", unless you're going to solely judge it on the vinyl availability.

The catalog needs to be dealt with in a consistent manner.

Obviously they did a great job with the first five: nice two CD sets, single CDs, and vinyl. The packaging was consistent. Achtung Baby was done well if you ignore the fuck-up with not offering a standard vinyl issue and the packaging not being consistent with the previous five. It's like there's no plan.

The white cover is cool.

I agree.

Maybe this is obvious, but the photo from the cover has to be a colorized version of a black-and-white photo, right? I would find it very unlikely Anton shot a roll of color film in nearly the same location and pose that he had the band for the black-and-white photos.

Pro photogs usually take multiple cameras. But Anton is to be commended for his foresight.

The New York show is available in its entirety on Wolfgang's vault. That makes this boxset less appealing than if they had chosen an unreleased show.

I agree.

Maybe this is obvious, but the photo from the cover has to be a colorized version of a black-and-white photo, right? I would find it very unlikely Anton shot a roll of color film in nearly the same location and pose that he had the band for the black-and-white photos.

No, there's colored photography from this era.

He would carry multiple cameras back then, loaded with different film types and lenses.

But it is an arcane release. You would have to be a completist to own that.

I agree.

If I recall he shot using a Russian holga and some other 35 mm cameras.

Edit:
"Corbijn rented a special landscape camera for the shoot. "I think it was called a Horizon, a Russian camera that took big landscapes," he says. "I'd never shot with it before, so I took a risk. On the shoot for the gatefold sleeve I had no idea how to focus it properly. I focused on the background and the band are slightly out of focus. Fortunately there was a lot of light. You also see my case on the ground -- I had no idea it was in the shot.""

He did use multiple cameras though.

Last edited:
No, there's colored photography from this era.

He would carry multiple cameras back then, loaded with different film types and lenses.

Yep, the original Joshua Tree Tour book had a color photo right on the cover:
U2_THE%2BJOSHUA%2BTREE%2B-%2BSPRING%2B%2B%2BENVELOPE-261470.jpg

U2 - Online Store

But the shipping costs, at least as of earlier today, were outrageous (only option was courier shipping for almost 100. LOL).

They're all on Amazon (Unless you're dying to have that vinyl bag), and prices will come down.

It's ridiculous, but so am I, so I'll be buying the 4-CD set.

#suckerforlyfe

Hitting up my local indie store to see if they can get in a super deluxe vinyl for me. If I'm paying that much, I'd rather support a local store. And they will get far better shipping through their suppliers

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom