U2 Catalog: The Ultimate Ranking Survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’m interested in contributing to this survey, and I think that Songs of Experience should be included. Thanks.

I’m in.
It sounds like the SOE decision should partially be driven by the amount of time between your new lives.

In my view, SOE should be included if your data collection starts at least a few months after the release.

Curious if you are seeking data collection from other fan boards and/ or trying to enlist some help from others on here to collect and analyze the data.

Good luck.

Excellent, well it looks like we have an overwhelming support for the project. I was sticking to a minimum of 10, with a hope of 30 (a general magic number for sampling) - currently 27 of you have said yes, and I bet we can get more!

So, next step... basis of the survey and a Google Group email to submit to. First thing's first, basis of the survey...

BASIS OF THE SURVEY

- All songs that are included are courtesy of wikipedia. I have eliminated duplicates (re-releases and live releases) that are technically a song in their own right as a "release." This is to avoid the confusion of which live song recordings, like Bad, are prominent, and which are not (Brooklyn Bridge, for example). Also, some songs, such as I Will Follow, have so many live releases, that should the song receive generally the same review, it's going to populate a region of the results unnecessarily.

- As per the last point, there shouldn't be any repetitions of songs, unless I have deemed them unique. An example is One, where One ft. Mary J. Blige is, in my opinion, sufficiently different in its "data type" as the way I've defined it.

- Remixes are not included in this survey. There were too many to account for. We'd inadvertently keep editing the survey, which is difficult once distributed.

- Songs can be seen here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_recorded_by_U2 If you find that there's a *highly* notable song missing from wikipedia's list, speak now. Once the survey is distributed, I cannot add additional songs.

- If you prefer live versions, remixes, single edits, remasters, etc. you should consider this during your grading of the song. Your opinion of the song is open to your discretion. The survey is merely asking you to rank the songs as 10 the upper end of amazing, 5 being okay, and 1 being the lower end of awful, with varying grades in between.

- IF you spot an error in the survey, such as an incorrect date of release, or you wish to contest some of the data about it, you can. Just let me know. You do not need to consider this data when you are rating the songs, but it is there for you to use at your on discretion. For example, if I Will Follow was accidentally listed as released in 1990, I will happily make the change to the appropriate date.

- Songs are listed in alphabetical order. If you are comfortable grading a song without listening to it, feel free to do so. If you do not know the song, you are obliged to listen to it before giving it a score. You MUST give a grade to every single song. If you do not, and have not identified yourself, I will have to throw your survey out. This is a statistical practice - if not everyone answers for a song, the data set is considered from a different sample and is no longer comparable to other results. The spreadsheet is fitted with conditional formatting, so it should be very obvious if you did not answer for song.

- You are required to supply your demographics as requested. Not much is asked, but similarly to the last point, if you do not, I will be forced to discard either the demographic or your survey.

- Songs are equipped with various data types. This includes the release they're on. Most of these are the album, or denoted (Single), meaning they're from a single release on that album. Additionally, the (Deluxe) tag is used to denote songs that are considered bonus material either from re-releases or on specific edition releases. All (Deluxe) and (Single) content is considered a B-Side, unless the material does not come off of an album, does not belong to a collaborative work, or was legitimately a single release belonging to no bigger body (for example, Invisible).

- The year denotes the year that particular release was made. I am considering changing (Deluxe) material to denote the year of the original release. For example, anniversary content on TJT or Achtung Baby was released in the 2010s, but I'm unsure of what date to give this. Opinions posted below will clarify this.

- The song type data type denotes whether or not the song was a U2 original, a collaboration (meaning U2 worked with another artist in writing or performing the song), or a cover.

- The song location data type denotes whether the song is on album, a b-side, externally released (think HMTMKMKM, Ordinary Love, etc.), or single-only material.

IF you have any qualms with any of this, speak now. There are a thousand ways we can do this, but I have set this up in a way as to produce potentially discernible results.

GOOGLE GROUP

- In order to receive the survey, I cannot use PM as my inbox will fill up too quickly. So, I've set up a Google Group to handle that mess. If you're not familiar with Google Groups... it's quite literally an email list with a unique email ID @googlegroups.com

- There are currently 27 posters wishing to participate. In order to participate, please send an email to U2poll@googlegroups.com stating your wish to subscribe to the Google Group. This way I don't have to gather all of your emails and nobody has to post their emails publicly.

- When I have amassed all of the participants on the Google Group, I will send the survey out. This may be another week as we collect participants. I will not spam your email, and you have the ability to unsubscribe at any point. You do not need a gmail account to participate.

The current posters who have denoted intent to participate are:

DaveC
Axver
nbelcik
U2inUtah
zuma
cobl04
ImOuttaControl
BigMacPhisto
the tourist
shewahlemon
kabigon
intedomine
CMIS
nielsgov
rennowba
BGD75
Greatest Hits
shika
An Cat Gav
Rachel D.
Stereotype
CosmoKramer
Roland of Gilead
rennowba
Broadsword
BWU2Buffs
super fly guy

If your name is on this list, please send a request to subscribe to U2poll@googlegroups.com.

If you wish to participate but have not already claimed intent, please post below or send an email to the group. I will not be sending out any mail on the list until we have the majority of the members on board.

Last edited:
So, from that Wikipedia list, are you including things like those Robbie Robertson songs or People Have the Power from IE Paris or Where Is the Love? from the Rock Hall of Fame disc?

My concern is those are so obscure or niche that barely anyone will know them - hell, even I haven't heard them, except for listening to the Mixlr feed of People Have the Power.

We've got a lot of people keen to participate, but I'm concerned that you might end up chucking a lot of surveys just because a small handful of tunes are left unrated. I'm happy to do the extra listening, and we should probably have a little e-mail group to distribute anything that anybody doesn't have, but not everybody will do that.

Perhaps it would be good to have two (or more) survey sheets: one for album tracks, one for non-album. The non-album could be split further into one sheet for b-sides and non-album singles, and one for other non-album material (i.e. the really obscure stuff). The album tracks sheet would get a stronger completion rate but we'd still have a basis for comparison for the lesser known stuff.

Can't you make a thread as well and just post the link? You'll get way more responses that way. (You can email people too I guess but I like being opt-in.)

Also, include Mercy.

So, from that Wikipedia list, are you including things like those Robbie Robertson songs or People Have the Power from IE Paris or Where Is the Love? from the Rock Hall of Fame disc?

No, the Robbie Robertson song was cut at discretion. No live-only songs are included in the survey, either, so RRHOF Benefit Concert was entirely cut.

We've got a lot of people keen to participate, but I'm concerned that you might end up chucking a lot of surveys just because a small handful of tunes are left unrated. I'm happy to do the extra listening, and we should probably have a little e-mail group to distribute anything that anybody doesn't have, but not everybody will do that.

I have the option of cutting the song/question if not everyone answers the for the song instead of discarding the survey. Statistically, though, it introduces biases and violates assumptions if you don't have the baseline. As for distributing songs, I can happily point people into the directions on YouTube for specific songs. I can also try to make a playlist on YouTube for stuff that is hard to find/isn't on Spotify etc.?

Perhaps it would be good to have two (or more) survey sheets: one for album tracks, one for non-album. The non-album could be split further into one sheet for b-sides and non-album singles, and one for other non-album material (i.e. the really obscure stuff). The album tracks sheet would get a stronger completion rate but we'd still have a basis for comparison for the lesser known stuff.

I fear if this is done, we might get no results on b sides etc. Also, formally speaking, a separate survey would be a different data set and not cross-comparable to the first survey (example: I could not determine whether or not we prefer b sides from album content). This is because I would be required to eliminate data from the album survey - I can only compare the b side results to the album results of for the group of people who did both. I have no way of identifying who did both, as for a survey, responses are supposed to be confidential as a practice of random sampling.

Can't you make a thread as well and just post the link? You'll get way more responses that way. (You can email people too I guess but I like being opt-in.)

Also, include Mercy.

Post the link to what? The file in a google drive? Yes but that would require the results be returned to me anyways. Or posted back in google drive, at which point everyone can see everyone's results.

Also, contrary what I said to Ax about all live only stuff not being included, I indeed did include Mercy, since it was on Wide Awake in Europe.

That's all fair, points taken.

What songs have you made an executive decision to cut?

Hey, LN7, I've twice tried to email the Google Groups address and both times it returns an error, suggesting the group might not exist. What's up with that?

Hey, LN7, I've twice tried to email the Google Groups address and both times it returns an error, suggesting the group might not exist. What's up with that?

I made an oopsies and I can't edit my posts above now :/

u2poll+subscribe@googlegroups.com

You must send an email to this email address to subscribe. You'll get an automatic reply back.

That's all fair, points taken.

What songs have you made an executive decision to cut?

There are 273 songs on the Wikipedia page. I have 257 songs on my spreadsheet. This cut all instances of song duplicates on the wiki page, such as pretty much everything from Duals (because it likely appeared elsewhere first or was just some live version of a song). I cut all of the RRHOF stuff. I cut the song on Kendrick Lamar's album (I'm pretty sure I cut everything that was officially unauthored by U2 while simultaneously not on a U2 release and only exhibiting partial U2 performance). I actually added Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour). The full list is here in the spoiler.

11 O'Clock Tick Tock
"40"
4th of July
Acrobat
Alex Descends into Hell for a Bottle of Milk / Korova 1
All Along the Watchtower
All Because of You
All I Want is You
Always Forever Now
Always
Angel of Harlem
Angels Too Tied to the Ground
Another Day
Another Time, Another Place
Are You Gonna Wait Forever?
Babyface
Bad
The Ballad of Ronnie Drew
Bass Trap
Beach Sequence
Beat on the Brat
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Ghost / Introductions to Songs of Experience
Big Girls are Best
Blow Your House Down
Boomerang I
Boomerang II
Boy/Girl
Breathe
Bullet the Blue Sky
California (There is No End to Love)
Cartoon World
An Cat Dubh
Cedars of Lebanon
Cedarwood Road
A Celebration
Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
City of Blinding Lights
Corpse (These Chains Are Too Long)
Crumbs from Your Table
The Crystal Ballroom
Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car
Dancing Barefoot
A Day Without Me
Deep in the Heart
Desert of Our Love
Desire
A Different Kind of Blue
Dirty Day
Disappearing Act
Discotheque
Do You Feel Loved
Don’t Take Your Guns to Town
Down All the Days
Drowning Man
Drunk Chicken/America
The Electric Co.
Electrical Storm
Elevation
Elvis Ate America
Elvis Presley and America
Endless Deep
Even Better than the Real Thing
Everlasting Love
Every Breaking Wave
Everybody Loves a Winner
Exit
Fast Cars
Fez - Being Born
Fire
The First Time
Flower Child
The Fly
The Fool
Fortunate Son
Get On Your Boots
Gloria
God Part II
Gone
Grace
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Hallelujah Here She Comes
The Hands that Built America
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Hawkmoon 269
Heartland
Heaven and Hell
Help!
Helter Skelter
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Holy Joe
I Believe in Father Christmas
I Fall Down
I Remember You
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
I Threw a Brick Through a Window
I Will Follow
I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
I'm Not Your Baby
If God Will Send His Angels
If You Wear that Velvet Dress
In God's Country
In a Little While
Indian Summer Sky
Instant Karma!
Into the Heart
Invisible
Iris (Hold Me Close)
Is that All?
Ito Okashi
J. Swallo
Kite
Lady with the Spinning Head
Last Night on Earth
Lemon
Levitate
Like a Song…
Love Comes Tumbling
Love is Blindness
Love Rescue Me
Love and Peace or Else
Love You Like Mad
Lucifer's Hands
Luminous Times (Hold on to Love)
MLK
Magnificent
A Man and a Woman
Mercy
Miami
Miracle Drug
The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
Miss Sarajevo
Mofo
Moment of Surrender
Mothers of the Disappeared
Mysterious Ways
Native Son
Near the Island
Neon Lights
New Year's Day
New York
Night and Day
No Line on the Horizon
North and South of the River
North Star
Numb
The Ocean
October
Oh Berlin
One
One (ft. Mary J. Blige)
One Step Closer
One Tree Hill
Ordinary Love
Original of the Species
Out of Control
Paint it Black
Peace on Earth
The Playboy Mansion
Please
Plot 180
Pop Muzik
Pride (in the Name of Love)
Promenade
Race Against Time
Raised by Wolves
Red Hill Mining Town
Red Light
The Refugee
Rejoice
Rise Up
A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel
Running to Stand Still
The Saints are Coming
Salome
Satellite of Love
Saturday Night
Scarlet
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Seconds
Shadows and Tall Trees
She's a Mystery to Me
Silver and Gold
Sixty Seconds in Kingdom Come
Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
Slow Dancing
Slow Dancing (ft. Willie Nelson)
Slug
Smile
So Cruel
Some Days are Better than Others
Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own
Song for Someone
A Sort of Homecoming
Spanish Eyes
Speed of Life
Stand Up Comedy
Staring at the Sun
Stateless
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Stories for Boys
Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour)
Stranger in a Strange Land
Street Mission
Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Summer Rain
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Surrender
Sweetest Thing
Theme from Let's Go Native
Theme from The Swan
Things to Make and Do
This is Where You Can Reach Me Now
The Three Sunrises
Tomorrow
Touch
Trash, Trampoline, and the Party Girl
Treasure (Whatever Happened to Pete the Chop)
Trip Through Your Wires
The Troubles
Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World
Twilight
Two Hearts Beat as One
Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad
Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
Unchained Melody
The Unforgettable Fire
United Colours
Unknown Caller
Until the End of the World
Van Diemen's Land
Vertigo
Viva Davidoff
Volcano
Wake Up Dead Man
Walk On
Walk to the Water
The Wanderer
Wave of Sorrow (Birdland)
When I Look at the World
When Love Comes to Town
Where Did it all Go Wrong?
Where the Streets Have No Name
White as Snow
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Wild Honey
Window in the Skies
Winter
Wire
With a Shout
With or Without You
Xanax and Wine
Yaweh
Yoshino Blossom
Your Blue Room
Zoo Station
Zooropa

You did not list me. You fanny. Otherwise this all sounds magnificent.

AHHH I'm messing up left and right, sorry all, it's like forever o'clock here right now.

You were just so special that I left you up top under my grant application because I'm lazy.
kiwi.png

I'm glad you remembered Stranded, because I can't wait to give that a 1/10.

One and Slow Dancing are the only two that get different versions? What about Holy Joe's Garage and Guilty Mixes? It has no "original" version per se. And in past Survivors I think we've collapsed Slow Dancing into one entry.

Also what the fuck is that Sgt Pepper's cover? I don't remember that at all. Looks like it was some Macca single with U2 on it? Shouldn't it go the same way as the Kendrick appearance?

I've petty attempted to set this email chain up such that when I email you guys from the Google Group, it sends to all of you, but when you reply, it replies to just me as the author of the post. Since there are only two of you, I'm going to send a test out to you and I want you to reply to that message. Pls.

I'm glad you remembered Stranded, because I can't wait to give that a 1/10.

One and Slow Dancing are the only two that get different versions? What about Holy Joe's Garage and Guilty Mixes? It has no "original" version per se. And in past Survivors I think we've collapsed Slow Dancing into one entry.

Also what the fuck is that Sgt Pepper's cover? I don't remember that at all. Looks like it was some Macca single with U2 on it? Shouldn't it go the same way as the Kendrick appearance?

Decide amongst yourselves. I don't know the damn difference between the Holy Joes and Josephs of this world. I can collapse Slow Dancing into one, if nobody complains. I can also ax the Sgt. Peppers's cover, pun intended.

I've petty attempted to set this email chain up such that when I email you guys from the Google Group, it sends to all of you, but when you reply, it replies to just me as the author of the post. Since there are only two of you, I'm going to send a test out to you and I want you to reply to that message. Pls.

Done.

Decide amongst yourselves. I don't know the damn difference between the Holy Joes and Josephs of this world. I can collapse Slow Dancing into one, if nobody complains. I can also ax the Sgt. Peppers's cover, pun intended.

I have no strong opinions really on Holy Joe and Slow Dancing. I can't quite recall how we treated Holy Joe in Survivor now. My instinct is to collapse everything together. But if One is separated out (and the different scores will be telling), then it probably makes sense to keep Slow Dancing separate. Happy to go with consensus too.

But I'd prefer to see Sgt Pepper's get the chop.

As far as I can tell, worked like a charm, as my second email didn't get your response but the group owner email did. Cool.

LN7 did you send an email or was it the join request thing?

I don't think you subscribed yet. Ugh this google groups thing... I was legitimately just trying to avoid people having to publicly post their emails [emoji23]

u2poll+subscribe@googlegroups.com

Once you send an email to this email address, you will get an immediate auto reply. After the auto reply you'll follow the join link to enter your email address to subscribe, and you'll get another email to confirm that was you.

cobl might be right, I might have chosen a rather complex way to go about this, but I did so because I imagine PM won't work well at all, neither will a survey website for 250 songs, and most importantly I imagine nobody wants to post their email addresses publicly. Apologies for being sloppy tonight, everyone.

I'm signed up but haven't received the test email to respond to, although I CAN see the test email in the actual group.

Back
Top Bottom