U2 being accused of robbing the poor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For the record I don't really give a shit how U2's accountants do their taxes and handle business.

"She added: "Tax avoidance and tax evasion costs the impoverished world at least $160 million (£142.5m) every year. This is money urgently required to bring people out of poverty."

She forgot to say that Ireland did not meet their stated goals as far as foreign aid, while the Netherlands did. Also, U2 are citizens and residents of Ireland, they pay taxes there too. The taxes in the NL are on royalties.

For the record I don't really give a shit how U2's accountants do their taxes and handle business.

"She added: "Tax avoidance and tax evasion costs the impoverished world at least $160 million (£142.5m) every year. This is money urgently required to bring people out of poverty."

So, if for the sake of argument their accountants were evading tax rather than simply avoiding it, this would not be problematic to you?

She forgot to say that Ireland did not meet their stated goals as far as foreign aid, while the Netherlands did. Also, U2 are citizens and residents of Ireland, they pay taxes there too. The taxes in the NL are on royalties.

It is a good thing that all Irish taxpayers do not follow U2's example. If they did, Ireland's contribution to development aid would be nothing at all.

So, if for the sake of argument their accountants were evading tax rather than simply avoiding it, this would not be problematic to you?

It is a good thing that all Irish taxpayers do not follow U2's example. If they did, Ireland's contribution to development aid would be nothing at all.

Nothing they are doing is illegal or tax evasion, so I'm not sure what you're asking. This "issue" has been the subject of a gazillion threads all over this board. No, it's not problematic to me. I do plenty of things that are strategic for me as far as my taxes go. I don't feel entitled to U2's money just because they have more of it.

I doubt all of Ireland's tax payers pay taxes on royalties...

Nothing they are doing is illegal or tax evasion, so I'm not sure what you're asking.

Well, you said that you didn't have a problem with U2's accountants minimising their taxes, so I would hope that you would have a problem in the no-doubt hypothetical situation of them ever crossing the line into evasion.

I don't feel entitled to U2's money just because they have more of it.

Asking the superrich to pay their fair share is feeling 'entitled' to their money, come off it.

I doubt all of Ireland's tax payers pay taxes on royalties...

No, but you know what I mean. U2's income is largely royalties, it is their bread and butter, just like salary/wages is for you and me. So if everyone avoided or evaded tax on their income, where would we be? Not so much in the way of funds for development aid, that's where.

Tax-avoiding rockstars are nothing new, back in the 1970's they were all at it. At that time the tax rates were huge so I can understand it. Irish tax rates in recent years aren't even particularly high, however, that's one of the reasons why I suspect that it very much grates with the majority of Irish people, particularly in a time of recession, that these guys aren't paying their share.

If I find out a rockstar is avoiding taxes, well I tend to usually think, par for the course. But if the same rockstar is telling me my taxes must increase in order to pay more in development aid, I think I'm going to have to deduce, unfortunately, that we are dealing with a rather hypocritical rock star, that we're dealing with someone who talks out of both sides of his mouth.

Well, you said that you didn't have a problem with U2's accountants minimising their taxes, so I would hope that you would have a problem in the no-doubt hypothetical situation of them ever crossing the line into evasion.

I never said I condone tax evasion. I am not aware that U2 has done anything of the sort. Obviously the move of part of their finances to the Netherlands has been a fairly public ordeal.

I really don't give a rip how their taxes are done as long as they are done. Nor do I give a rip about what Bono thinks I should do with my money and my taxes.

If the taxes avoided by U2 Ltd from the Irish government are in part funding DATA and the ONE Campaign directly and indirectly by being done in a tax haven country that is meeting its foreign aid obligations, then I don't really have an issue with it as it relates to "robbing the world's poor".

Easy for me to say though, I'm not Irish.

I know little of Ireland's taxes. But, here in the States, President Obama seems to be cleaning the house. Of the wealthy who have "Swiss Bank Accounts" and are avoiding taxation to the country they call home. I believe Germany is doing the same thing. At least this was the case, when this was broadcasted a few days ago, on one of our news stations. The F.B.I. wants a list of the Americans' names, whom the Swiss bankers do not want to provide and I am guessing, to start charging these people with tax evasion.

Asking the superrich to pay their fair share is feeling 'entitled' to their money, come off it.

No, but you know what I mean. U2's income is largely royalties, it is their bread and butter, just like salary/wages is for you and me. So if everyone avoided or evaded tax on their income, where would we be? Not so much in the way of funds for development aid, that's where.

Tax-avoiding rockstars are nothing new, back in the 1970's they were all at it. At that time the tax rates were huge so I can understand it. Irish tax rates in recent years aren't even particularly high, however, that's one of the reasons why I suspect that it very much grates with the majority of Irish people, particularly in a time of recession, that these guys aren't paying their share.

If I find out a rockstar is avoiding taxes, well I tend to usually think, par for the course. But if the same rockstar is telling me my taxes must increase in order to pay more in development aid, I think I'm going to have to deduce, unfortunately, that we are dealing with a rather hypocritical rock star, that we're dealing with someone who talks out of both sides of his mouth.

I can understand why the Irish people are upset over this. I have read that Artist Royalty taxes are around 15% which, seems to be quite low. Considering what Americans pay in taxes.

They pay taxes in every country they play in and many big businesses do move some of their businiesses to tax havens. They're not doing anything illegal. If the government don't like what they're doing then perhasps they should close these legal loopholes instead of complaining about it.

I've been doing a little research. Irish Corporation Tax is 12.5%. Which is still lower than some other countries. They are putting a "cap" on the "Cinderella" tax haven law. And they want to address the EU with their concerns of smaller countries offering almost no taxes to those who move their businesses.

:corn: "U2" (let's not pretend this isn't really about Bono) is really ripping of the poor.

It's only about Bono. U2 = only Bono. :tsk:

How great to make that coincide with the album release.

U2 pay millions of taxes all around the world, also in Ireland.

Let the critics do the math. My bet is

% of Tax that goes to a good cause in Ireland that corporate U2 is avoiding < charitable contributions by band members + % of Tax that goes to a good cause in Ireland that U2's band members have to pay personally + % of Tax that goes to a good cause where corporate U2 is paying them now

Agreed.

There's no reason to make excuses for what U2 do here at all. It's ridiculous.

Some people will say "They're just making a smart business move", "They are just doing what you and I would do" :blahblah:

well, yes! But the same people will two minutes after tell you how all the smart (this time meant in the negative way) moves by all the smart businesses in the world have created this unfair distribution of wealth that exists in the world today; by making the superrich even richer and the poorer even poorer.

It only makes a difference to some of you because this business happens to be called "U2".

Honestly, I wish they hadn't done it, simply because it sheds a bad light on them.

That said, I am sick of people always saying it's only Bono, because it's not.
They pay A LOT of taxes everywhere, including Ireland.
It's a business decision, no one wants to pay more taxes than they have to. Yes, me included.

I'm sure organisations have profited much more from donations from the band and the publicity work they've done for them than they would have from their tax money alone, because honestly, how much tax money do you think is really going into these organisations?

Bono is an easy target. I don't agree with everything he does, but I understand this business decision. Other people are doing this as well and no one is crying foul.

Btw, they pay more taxes in the Netherlands now for their royalties than they did in Ireland before the law was changed. And The Netherlands have actually been one of the few European countries who matched the Millenium Goals.

U2 are having investments in Ireland, they are imploying people, they are LIVING there, you bet they pay a lot of taxes. And also, everywhere else in the world. Making a smart business decision is not a crime.

U2 talk to Hot Press about their new album, the recession, politics and more

As The Edge says: "We’re living in Ireland, we’re paying tax in Ireland. We’re totally tax compliant and we always have been. Our business structures and arrangements are there because we operate in every country around the world. We play concerts all over the world, we work all over the world and we pay tax all over the world... in the end, I don’t think most people think that we’re squirreling money in tax havens. We’re not!"

But Larry admits that although the group aren't being hit in the same way by the economic downturn, they're still aware of the effects it's having on people: "[The recession] doesn’t particularly affect me the way it’s affecting other people. I’m a rich rock star. There’s a lot of people really hurting out there and I’m not in that position... There is a certain amount of discomfort. I haven’t felt that before... but I’m definitely feeling it now. There’s a different mood."

^^^^ YES, YES!!! ALL GREAT POINTS BUT THE BIGGEST QUESTION OF ALL SHOULD BE...........................................

IS BONO OKAY????????????

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom