U2: Band in Crisis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the day, people like to bitch.

For a long time people wanted ZOO TV 2. "Play LIB, Open with Zoo Station", etc...So they actually start off this tour not unlike ZOO, by playing lots of new songs right from the start. "Breathe is a terrible opener, they should open with Mofo", etc...So in 2011, they now open with a bunch of killer AB songs and get bitched out for dropping NLOTH songs.

Please stop making sense. This is the blue crack, you know.
main-390x285.jpg

OK, so I only wanted to post that picture...

OK, I haven't read this whole thread, but I just wanted to say, now having seen a show on this leg, and now reading articles and stuff because I'm not afraid of spoilers, I can see how this leg could alarm people.

From all of the Achtung Baby songs, to the Clips of U2 in the 80s and 90s, it has a feeling of, ":uhoh: are they ever coming back again?"

It can be a bit alarming.

bono_212 said:
OK, I haven't read this whole thread, but I just wanted to say, now having seen a show on this leg, and now reading articles and stuff because I'm not afraid of spoilers, I can see how this leg could alarm people.

From all of the Achtung Baby songs, to the Clips of U2 in the 80s and 90s, it has a feeling of, ":uhoh: are they ever coming back again?"

It can be a bit alarming.

the 80s and 90s clips were around at least as early as last year. plus they used the same desert clips in zoo tv and u2 didn't become irrelevant.

I've had occasional "what if ..." thoughts this year, but they were more based on the band's age and being faced with possible career-ending surgeries than "zomg, nostalgia! RUN AWAY!"

So I'm trekking out to the middle of nowhere to catch the last show of the tour, because I'm an aging fan and they're an aging band, and a lot can happen in 4 or 5 years.

agreed. people ask me why i have tickets to multiple shows, and i say, "because they could be dead soon." prompting the response, "yes, they are looking a little dead lately." but i explain that you just can't kill Zombie Bono with conventional means.

on a slightly more serious note, if you had told me in 1993 that i'd be seeing U2 in a stadium several times in 2011, i would not have believed you.

Making me ponder using the last of the money from my current job to skip town to see them in Minneapolis.

Travis told me last week if I wanted to go to Minn I needed to sell the Chicago tickets. I don't think he is going to be pro this plan.

If they had intentions of going away, they wouldn't have been working so hard with Danger Mouse and they wouldn't have bothered trying to even squeeze the time to release something this tear. Obviously, it didn't work out, but at the beginning of the year they certainly had planned to. Plus, Bono as recently as last month was talking about the Danger Mouse songs- granted, facetiously.

The setlist and the visuals never for a second make me think, "hmm, maybe this is it."

That said, I think NSW is right. None of you are taking this seriously enough. What can you do to help get U2 out of their crisis?

U2 of 1991 didn't face all of the criticism that they do today. I mean, kids HATE them. Even on this board, I see the phrase "dad rock" all the time. Spiderman has made a mockery of them in the media. GOYB and Magnificent were radio flops. And yeah, they're out there now touring their whole catalogue, having jetisoned the latest album. I don't think anyone would have complained about the Joshua Forest, even if Achtung was a better direction for them. They have a steeper hill to climb now than then IMO.

:scratch:

• The show I attended recently had 4 NLOTH songs. I hardly call that "jettisoned".
  • Back in 1988, critics called U2 arrogant and presumptuous. Kids felt their music was too dark. Their success was now backlashing. People tired of Bono's preaching and wanted him to shut up.
  • A "Joshua Tree Forest" would have sold well in 1991. And come 1995, people would have put U2 with the other 80's "has been" crowd.
  • All artists ebb and flow. Fleetwood Mac was expected to produce more "Rumors", but never did. Michael Jackson - back in his hey day - never recaptured the success of "Thriller". Some of Madonna's albums have failed to go Platinum. Some of REM's albums failed to go Gold. And some "come back" groups, like New Kids on the Block, barely make a dent in the charts. Bon Jovi and Springsteen have mild successes, but nothing like they used to. Jennifer Lopez's latest is quickly declining. Kelly Clarkson has seen mixed results. Sir McCartney's latest releases have zipped down the charts. In other words, NLOTH not taking the world by storm isn't so bad. U2 just had two big hit albums.
  • U2 have proven their longevity. "Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo" did that. And songs like MOS have critics and fellow muscians stating U2 are at the top of their game.
  • A hit song or two for any artist and suddenly they have a hit album. If GOYB had been a "Vertigo" like hit, this conversation wouldn't be happening.

I'd rather see U2 produce an album full of MOS, "Breathe", NLOTH, and maybe a token "Beautiful Day" (or "Desire" or "Pride" or "Vertigo") type of song as their hit, than cater to the group that loves "Crazy Tonight" or "Stuck..." or "Sometimes...".

They want you to be Jesus
They'll go down on one knee
But they'll want their money back
If you're alive at thirty-three

I'm kind of bummed Bono stopped singing "alive at 53" like he did when they first rolled out that song on this tour.

BITCH, BITCH, BITCH! :wink:

• The show I attended recently had 4 NLOTH songs. I hardly call that "jettisoned".
  • Back in 1988, critics called U2 arrogant and presumptuous. Kids felt their music was too dark. Their success was now backlashing. People tired of Bono's preaching and wanted him to shut up.
  • A "Joshua Tree Forest" would have sold well in 1991. And come 1995, people would have put U2 with the other 80's "has been" crowd.
  • All artists ebb and flow. Fleetwood Mac was expected to produce more "Rumors", but never did. Michael Jackson - back in his hey day - never recaptured the success of "Thriller". Some of Madonna's albums have failed to go Platinum. Some of REM's albums failed to go Gold. And some "come back" groups, like New Kids on the Block, barely make a dent in the charts. Bon Jovi and Springsteen have mild successes, but nothing like they used to. Jennifer Lopez's latest is quickly declining. Kelly Clarkson has seen mixed results. Sir McCartney's latest releases have zipped down the charts. In other words, NLOTH not taking the world by storm isn't so bad. U2 just had two big hit albums.
  • U2 have proven their longevity. "Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo" did that. And songs like MOS have critics and fellow muscians stating U2 are at the top of their game.
  • A hit song or two for any artist and suddenly they have a hit album. If GOYB had been a "Vertigo" like hit, this conversation wouldn't be happening.

I'd rather see U2 produce an album full of MOS, "Breathe", NLOTH, and maybe a token "Beautiful Day" (or "Desire" or "Pride" or "Vertigo") type of song as their hit, than cater to the group that loves "Crazy Tonight" or "Stuck..." or "Sometimes...".

Well said! :applaud: Every artist has their ups and downs, and just looking at U2's history should show that there's nothing to worry about just because NLOTH didn't set the radio on fire. They're pretty good at the whole "triumphant comeback" thing.

• The show I attended recently had 4 NLOTH songs. I hardly call that "jettisoned"..

• Yeah, I'll call that jettisoned. I bet the Stones play 3-4 songs off their new album when they go out.

[*]Back in 1988, critics called U2 arrogant and presumptuous. Kids felt their music was too dark. Their success was now backlashing. People tired of Bono's preaching and wanted him to shut up.

Not at anywhere near the current levels. Mostly, they were at the top of the world and everyone was chomping at the bit for the next album. ANYTHING from U2 could get on the radio in 1991, even B-sides.
    Your comment about kids thinking their music was dark seems very far off to my memory. I Still haven't Found was on the radio all the time and Achtung Baby was much darker.

If GOYB had been a "Vertigo" like hit, this conversation wouldn't be happening.

I agree 100%.

Personally, I love all of the above tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom