U2 at the EMA'S???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally watched it. Bono's performance was pretty fucking out there. Some parts sounded great, however the "street" "defeat" chorus parts still SCREAM for back up vocals. I dunno bout u guys but Bono kind of scared me here, in a way I'm not sure is good or bad. He was so nuts into this song I thought he was going to stroke out or have a heart attack. It was definitely, um, interesting. But he can't sing like that every night. At least I wouldn't advise it...doesn't seem healthy. It's like he's going the John Lennon Primal Scream therapy route for a song about...waves? A teenage relationship? Doesn't seem to call for THAT much drama. "Bad" it ain't.

Just epic (let's not dive into what epic means for the next ten pages). Larry coming on just took it to another level. Bono superb.

What's this? A debate about the credentials and credibility of the MTV 'Awards'?!?

(they do actually give out an award for each individual European country)

Bono kicked it up a notch for the cameras

I've watched that "Every Breaking Wave" clip six times in a row and it's just beautiful.

And yes, Bono was putting way more passion into the performance than he could possibly sustain during an ordinary concert. But it was a calculated move. He knew that the EMAs would have a huge, worldwide audience. This was U2's chance to convince the public that the music of "Songs of Innocence" is more important than the silly controversy over the digital download. And Bono put so much heart into it that I believe it did persuade at least a few people to reconsider their opinions. I hope so. I don't see how anyone could watch/listen to that performance and not have an emotional reaction.

I've watched that "Every Breaking Wave" clip six times in a row and it's just beautiful.

And yes, Bono was putting way more passion into the performance than he could possibly sustain during an ordinary concert. But it was a calculated move. He knew that the EMAs would have a huge, worldwide audience. This was U2's chance to convince the public that the music of "Songs of Innocence" is more important than the silly controversy over the digital download. And Bono put so much heart into it that I believe it did persuade at least a few people to reconsider their opinions. I hope so. I don't see how anyone could watch/listen to that performance and not have an emotional reaction.

Fully agree with everything you said :up:

Bono nailed it? Have we watched the same performance?
Okay, I know I'm not a fan of EBW and even less of the acoustic arrangement but... Am I the only one to think that only Bono didn't nail it at all as his voice was weaker than in the other recent performances and struggling more than in the past few weeks?

I agree with you on this! The version at Jools Holland's show was way better!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpZgpeFsDmk

I don't care much of they do MTV presentations or not (they've done it in the past - and yeah, they nailed it) but if I'm not a fan of this arrangement I also think that it doesn't work at all in an "MTV awards". If they wanted to play this song in an event like this, would've been better if they played it closer to the album version.
Don't agree. Just in these kind of shows it's GREAT they do an arrangement like this. It gives good contrast to all the shouting and show without a lot of depth in the rest of the performances. From a freak show to a stripped down song where it's only about the music and the lyrics, that's really smart to do!!

I still prefer the album version however this performance couldnt have been any more well done. Reminded me of how I felt after Please at the american awards back in 1997.

Bravo U2 you still have it.

Beautiful song now fully realised - wow what a performance last night. I found it tremendously encouraging as it is the first time I have felt a recent song deliver the fully transformational journey that Streets and Bad did in the past. Great to hear Bono singing with open abandon, conviction and heart on sleeve again.

I realise that is a strong statement but this song performed that way is just sublime. A real emotional gut twister with a proper climax delivered with an instrumental restraint and subtlety that can only come from age and experience. Very well done U2.

I liked this:

While the trophies went home with millennial artists like Ariana Grande, One Direction, Nicki Minaj and Justin Bieber, the elder statesmen of rock didn’t let the youth in the audience faze them. If anything, they schooled their pop-music successors in the art of bringing the house down using the most basic of tools – Bono’s voice and a handful of instruments.

http://m.wsj.com/articles/BL-SEB-84753

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Meh. It wasn't that good (the Jools Holland EBW). Once again Interference is going completely nuts for something like it's the greatest thing ever and I'm just missing it.

None of these acoustic versions do anything for me. I think they're all boring as a dog's ass. And I find Bono's over the top passion to be a little faux affecting. I just don't believe it. The songs go absolutely nowhere and there's no momentum to them.

Or maybe I'm just not a very good fan.

EDIT: Just watched the EMA performance. More of the same.

Meh. It wasn't that good (the Jools Holland EBW). Once again Interference is going completely nuts for something like it's the greatest thing ever and I'm just missing it.

None of these acoustic versions do anything for me. I think they're all boring as a dog's ass. And I find Bono's over the top passion to be a little faux affecting. I just don't believe it. The songs go absolutely nowhere and there's no momentum to them.

Agreed. Although I don't find it "boring as a dog's ass." I think it's alright, but definitely already overrated.

One thing that irks me is the feeling that this song seems to have absolutely nothing to do with the concept of SOI yet they're pushing it harder than any other song. Lyrically, it could be about anything.

And this whole "acoustic" performance campaign seems vaguely at odds with the album as well. It's almost like they're already regretting the Songs of Innocence theme and instead considering some kind of MTV Unplugged idea to showcase the "power of songwriting." Again, it's about the songs. Songs. Songs. Not of Innocence! Just songs. Whole thing seems confusing and honestly, a bit desperate. They're pushing WAY too hard to be taken seriously.

:up: This.
You just summed up what I feel: about this performance, about these acoustic arrangements and presentations, about Bono's faux overacting attitude, about feeling a bit isolated in the «am I missing something?» thing.

The thing about a band as big and successful as U2 is that you aren't going to please everybody. If you don't like these acoustic versions, listen to something else from U2. If U2 is boring you in general go find another band surely there is something out there for you.

I don't think it's because you're not a very good fan.

I have mixed feelings when it comes to U2's acoustic performances. I didn't mind them (and enjoyed them) until I heard North Star at my U2360° show. When it came to the acoustic sessions on SoI, I wasn't feeling them. I didn't understand the praise these acoustic versions were getting, and I still don't. Probably has to do with my musical tastes, or that I dislike acoustic in general.

I agree with the others that the acoustic version of Every Breaking Wave sounds great live, but I love the album version (as with the rest of the songs). I personally hope these acoustic performances don't carry on to the tour (which I know they will).

I honestly think if you didnt like the performance on sunday and thought Bono was over acting then id seriosuly ask yourself if this band is for you at the moment because you aint getting any better then that.

Bono put everything in to it,his passion,his heart his soul something that got me into u2 in the first place and now your calling it over acting??

its what sets Bono apart from any other performer,his passion is something else. To call something over acting that i was nearly weeping to,id defo say it's maybe time to move on!

I thought it was an awesome performance and a great song. I don't get all the hate.

I honestly think if you didnt like the performance on sunday and thought Bono was over acting then id seriosuly ask yourself if this band is for you at the moment because you aint getting any better then that.

Bono put everything in to it,his passion,his heart his soul something that got me into u2 in the first place and now your calling it over acting??

its what sets Bono apart from any other performer,his passion is something else. To call something over acting that i was nearly weeping to,id defo say it's maybe time to move on!

All of this :up:

Bono really does put his heart and soul into every performance. My boyfriend (who's also on Interference and can get a little critical sometimes :wink: ) really liked this performance too. He said it was one of the best acoustic performances he's seen from them.

Thank goodness we've got someone here experienced in dog's asses to let us know that it's boring/not all that it's cracked up to be.

Sent from my ass crack

wmknef.gif

It's a bunch of promo performances 7 months out from the probable start of the tour. I wouldn't be worried about the acoustic stuff. They just want to do something a little different from that they usually do. Everything this time around is different. It's good marketing.

id seriosuly ask yourself if this band is for you at the moment because you aint getting any better then that.

"ain't getting any better than that"?

Oh God I hope so.

I think the whole SOI record, none of which is acoustic, is "better than that". I'm certain (well, reasonably so) that the tour arrangements for these songs will be "better than that". I'm assuming these acoustic versions will be primarily limited to the promo tour...though hopefully they'll keep one as at the bathroom break song.

Even among the people who love these acoustic versions, I doubt they'd want to hear an entire concert of them.

Yes, because when Bono did all that before it was genuine. Or at least it looked genuine. In these performances he looks to me like a guy trying to do an impersonation of himself, and it's just a bit all over the top to me. I'm just not buying that he's genuinely have an emotional catharsis over EBW on the EMA's or Jools Holland.

Move on from what, U2? U2 hasn't been the centre of my musical world for quite some time. And in any event, it's a little odd to say. For one thing, Bono's "passion" is not what sets him apart, at least not entirely; lots of performers have passion and to say this is frankly an insult to Bono. And just because I don't care for these acoustic versions they're doing on the promo tour it's time for me to "move on"?

Thank goodness we've got someone here experienced in dog's asses to let us know that it's boring/not all that it's cracked up to be.

Sent from my ass crack

LOL...that's rich coming from that (appropriate) sig line.

:up:

Move on from what, U2? U2 hasn't been the centre of my musical world for quite some time.

well for someone who claims not to be that into them, you sure spend a lot of time here talking about them :D

well for someone who claims not to be that into them, you sure spend a lot of time here talking about them :D

I didn't say I wasn't into them. Clearly I'm into them. I said they're not the centre of my musical word.

And I'd hardly call my 3 or so posts a day a "lot" of time, but OK. :)

Like I said, I'm just not a very good fan.

I didn't say I wasn't into them. Clearly I'm into them. I said they're not the centre of my musical word.

And I'd hardly call my 3 or so posts a day a "lot" of time, but OK. :)

Like I said, I'm just not a very good fan.

i said "that into them" ;)

i don't think it's about being a good fan or whatever, it just depends on whether the music resonates with a person at a certain time... this album definitely did with me, but i couldn't connect with NLOTH at all... maybe this particular album just isn't where you're at right now - nothing wrong with that!

i don't think it's about being a good fan or whatever, it just depends on whether the music resonates with a person at a certain time... this album definitely did with me, but i couldn't connect with NLOTH at all... maybe this particular album just isn't where you're at right now - nothing wrong with that!

My complaints about these versions of the songs have nothing to do with how I feel about the album...I've said many times here I love the record, and in fact don't think there's a bad song on SOI. I know there are some haters for songs like California, or people who don't understand Volcano, but not me...I love 'em all.

I just don't care for stripped down, acoustic U2 (except in very small doses), never have. Is that OK? :) :reject:

Back
Top Bottom