U2 at the EMA'S???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im sure that performance was very different then the rest of the show but Bono really hit this performance on the head....his vocals in the higher register havent been so good in years, It really seems like they are having fun playing the new material as well.

I'm surprised I didn't have nightmares last night after sitting through that show :huh: It's embarrassing and sad to see what "music" has turned into for that kiddie MTV audience. But even though I had my doubts about U2 and EBW in particular fitting there at all, I'm still glad they performed, it brought something very different to the show and it was a fantastic performance. As far as I can see, many people liked it and there's a lot of comments on social media about how they were the only "real" act there, playing real music. I think they might have also been one of the few acts to play and sing live.The rest was just shameful, maybe with the exception of Slash and Alicia Keys, who's a great musician.

Bono nailed it? Have we watched the same performance?
Okay, I know I'm not a fan of EBW and even less of the acoustic arrangement but... Am I the only one to think that only Bono didn't nail it at all as his voice was weaker than in the other recent performances and struggling more than in the past few weeks?
Yes. Yes. Yes.

I also find it kind of irritating, that this thing is called EUROPEAN Music Awards and 9 out of 10 live performers and nominees aren't European. I don't get this concept, really.

Looks like every video of U2's performance has been taken down from You Tube and Daily Motion :(

Try looking on dailymotion again LU, there are two vids up right now but you need to do a search for them.

I loved how he stumbled on those lyrics because he was seemingly swept up himself in a live audience buzzing in reaction to new material. It was such an emotional reaction on Bono's part that I didn't mind it a bit. If anything, he was emboldened from then on. This may be the return swing of the pendulum of public perception of the band. Good work. Loved it.

Sent from my fingertips.

I'm surprised I didn't have nightmares last night after sitting through that show :huh: It's embarrassing and sad to see what "music" has turned into for that kiddie MTV audience. But even though I had my doubts about U2 and EBW in particular fitting there at all, I'm still glad they performed, it brought something very different to the show and it was a fantastic performance. As far as I can see, many people liked it and there's a lot of comments on social media about how they were the only "real" act there, playing real music. I think they might have also been one of the few acts to play and sing live.The rest was just shameful, maybe with the exception of Slash and Alicia Keys, who's a great musician.

:up::up::up:

utterly breathtaking performance...

loved it, loved the contrasts, the range, moving up and down the spectrum, from blissful quiet subtlety to full force intensity - MASSIVE! :heart:

I loved how he stumbled on those lyrics because he was seemingly swept up himself in a live audience buzzing in reaction to new material. It was such an emotional reaction on Bono's part that I didn't mind it a bit. If anything, he was emboldened from then on.

That's what I got out of it, too.

This may be the return swing of the pendulum of public perception of the band. Good work. Loved it.

I truly hope so!

It's bound to swing back sometime- God knows it's been downright awful since at least 2007!

Great performance tonight! :up::up:

And I truly prefer traditional rock arrangements over acoustic, but this was just objectively spectacular!

i loved how he stumbled on those lyrics because he was seemingly swept up himself in a live audience buzzing in reaction to new material. It was such an emotional reaction on bono's part that i didn't mind it a bit. If anything, he was emboldened from then on. This may be the return swing of the pendulum of public perception of the band. Good work. Loved it.

Sent from my fingertips.

100%

Anybody else believe that since discovering this acoustic arrangement of EBW, and the positive reactions it's received, that the band are pretty set on this being the version to go forward with when performing live for the future? i.e The tour

This is what the nme said about it?

U2 came next, though their much-anticipated performance was uncharacteristically muted. The Irish group performed the ballad 'Every Breaking Wave' from new album 'Songs of Innocence', accompanied by a string section while The Edge sat at a piano for the duration of the song.
Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/80968#lIIM1aTY50PeEuuA.99

I also find it kind of irritating, that this thing is called EUROPEAN Music Awards and 9 out of 10 live performers and nominees aren't European. I don't get this concept, really.

Looks like every video of U2's performance has been taken down from You Tube and Daily Motion :(

So we'll be sure to ask your opinion on this the next time U2 plays the Grammy's.

Great performance. Magical. Outstanding. Every superlative you can think of heaping on this latest outing is well deserved.

However: I really really hope they do the full band version live when I see them. Kthxbye

I said it before: releasing EBW in this form is too reminiscent of recent hits by other artists, prime example being Rihanna's Stay (right down to vocal warbling/inflection, even). Full band EBW will carve out it's own spot on the airwaves. Acoustic EBW, as beautiful as it is, has to share that niche with other (great, even) songs out there.

Great performance. Magical. Outstanding. Every superlative you can think of heaping on this latest outing is well deserved.

However: I really really hope they do the full band version live when I see them. Kthxbye

I said it before: releasing EBW in this form is too reminiscent of recent hits by other artists, prime example being Rihanna's Stay (right down to vocal warbling/inflection, even). Full band EBW will carve out it's own spot on the airwaves. Acoustic EBW, as beautiful as it is, has to share that niche with other (great, even) songs out there.
:up:

So we'll be sure to ask your opinion on this the next time U2 plays the Grammy's.

That's not reall a valid argument. The Grammys are a worldwide music price, there's nothing about it that says "American" or "European". MTV has the Video Music Awards that are for global artists, I don't get why they have a show called "European Music Awards" when it includes artists from everywhere, not just Europe. In fact, there's hardly any European artist there.

I really don't care who they give their awards to, I just don't understand why you call your show "European" when there's nothing European about it, except that they show is held in Europe. I'm ok with the idea them just naming it "MTV Music Awards".

That's not reall a valid argument. The Grammys are a worldwide music price, there's nothing about it that says "American" or "European". MTV has the Video Music Awards that are for global artists, I don't get why they have a show called "European Music Awards" when it includes artists from everywhere, not just Europe. In fact, there's hardly any European artist there.

I really don't care who they give their awards to, I just don't understand why you call your show "European" when there's nothing European about it, except that they show is held in Europe. I'm ok with the idea them just naming it "MTV Music Awards".

Please think about what you're trying to argue for 5 minutes, this whole "MTV Europe" (please note it's Europe, not European) thing that's been around for decades really isn't that difficult to grasp.

Wouldn't MTV just reply to your post saying: "Hey, it's not our fault that these are the most successful artists in Europe right now" ?

Or actually they're not that successful in there?

I mean, I'd guess that it's "Europe" because of the audience ("this is what european audiences want to hear"), not because of the artists ("this is what european artists play")

That's not reall a valid argument. The Grammys are a worldwide music price, there's nothing about it that says "American" or "European".

Umm, no. Try again.

A Grammy Award (originally called Gramophone Award), or Grammy, is an accolade by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (NARAS) of the United States

Wow again,just watched it back again and it really is one hell of a performance. I don't know about you but when I watch the band live on TV I always get nervous but when I watch it back again I really enjoy it. Wow wow and wow. Bono voice is amazing.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I do prefer the acoustic version EBW now aswell

Wow again,just watched it back again and it really is one hell of a performance. I don't know about you but when I watch the band live on TV I always get nervous but when I watch it back again I really enjoy it. Wow wow and wow. Bono voice is amazing.

Just coming here to say that yes indeed, it was an absolutely amazing performance. Bono put his heart and soul into this one -he does seem to give 100% to every song but in this one he seemed to give 120%. Lovely song, love the melancholy acoustic rendition. :up: :heart:

Back
Top Bottom