U2 at the EMA'S???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono nailed it.

Seriously if you're not moved by that then I don't know if U2 is the right band for you anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

WOW!!!

I can't even begin to imagine how badly they exposed how fake the other "artists" are simply by performing live this way and delivering something others on that lineup could only dream of......... Slash was pretty cool too.

Bono nailed it? Have we watched the same performance?
Okay, I know I'm not a fan of EBW and even less of the acoustic arrangement but... Am I the only one to think that only Bono didn't nail it at all as his voice was weaker than in the other recent performances and struggling more than in the past few weeks?

I don't care much of they do MTV presentations or not (they've done it in the past - and yeah, they nailed it) but if I'm not a fan of this arrangement I also think that it doesn't work at all in an "MTV awards". If they wanted to play this song in an event like this, would've been better if they played it closer to the album version.

How far into the show do they come on?

Other than stumbling over a few lines of lyrics, not forgetting any, but just catching himself, he nailed it. Man, the moment when Larry comes in on the drums. That's epic stuff.

Bono nailed it? Have we watched the same performance?
Okay, I know I'm not a fan of EBW and even less of the acoustic arrangement but... Am I the only one to think that only Bono didn't nail it at all as his voice was weaker than in the other recent performances and struggling more than in the past few weeks?

I don't care much of they do MTV presentations or not (they've done it in the past - and yeah, they nailed it) but if I'm not a fan of this arrangement I also think that it doesn't work at all in an "MTV awards". If they wanted to play this song in an event like this, would've been better if they played it closer to the album version.

No he nailed it. Parts of it were better and others maybe not as good BUT when you're comparing it to previous U2 performances and not comparing thier performances to the soulless and fake performances at this event you're doing it wrong. The truth is sometimes technical perfection cannot override emotional perfection and when a performance is delieverd with such high emotion and comes off 100% authentic without all the smoke and mirrors then that is what you call nailing a performance.

As for not working in that environment you could not be more wrong. The reason it does work and works incredibly well is because it's a breath of fresh air from all the other stale performances. It's performances like these that people want but sadly an entire generation as been brainwashed inot thinking otherwise. When a performance like this comes along it causes people to pause and think "Oh yeah music is supposed to be about heart and soul" I'd challenge you to ask anyone who attended the EMAs and ask them if they think U2's performance didn't work that well in that setting. Nobody will agree with you.

Wow. Up there with mofo and please as their best awards show performance imo.

No he nailed it. Parts of it were better and others maybe not as good BUT when you're comparing it to previous U2 performances and not comparing thier performances to the soulless and fake performances at this event you're doing it wrong. The truth is sometimes technical perfection cannot override emotional perfection and when a performance is delieverd with such high emotion and comes off 100% authentic without all the smoke and mirrors then that is what you call nailing a performance.

As for not working in that environment you could not be more wrong. The reason it does work and works incredibly well is because it's a breath of fresh air from all the other stale performances. It's performances like these that people want but sadly an entire generation as been brainwashed inot thinking otherwise. When a performance like this comes along it causes people to pause and think "Oh yeah music is supposed to be about heart and soul" I'd challenge you to ask anyone who attended the EMAs and ask them if they think U2's performance didn't work that well in that setting. Nobody will agree with you.

I totally agree with the underlined part. That's why, for instance, I love so much 1992 DC's "Bad".
I know that probably most won't agree with me, but that's how I feel. Nor I don't feel this is groundbreaking for MTV's standards (Adele - and others - rings a bell), as I also feel that a show like this, from an act like U2, demanded something other than this type of arrangements. But this is something that's been happening lately. It just came to my mind the Oscars' performance this year: I think it was atrocious. Not only because it was poorly sung and arranged (and sounded poorly rehearsed) as that arrangement was bad and didn't fit at all that space, that event, that environment. For instance, as I say, again, I'm not a fan of EBW and even less of the acoustic version, but something in the vein of this acoustic EBW was perfect for an Oscars' performance. So, that's thr first reason I don't think they nailed it.

The other reason I already mentioned: Bono's voice struggling to keep it firm (despite the nice ending falsetto), forgetting/mispelling lyrics, etc.

Hot damn, that was good. A few more performances like this and it'll take over the album version for me.

Other than stumbling over a few lines of lyrics, not forgetting any, but just catching himself, he nailed it. Man, the moment when Larry comes in on the drums. That's epic stuff.

Just watched it on TV(my DVR).

I am not a fan of acoustic performances, let alone from U2. The promo tour so far with the acoustic performances has been nice but nothing great. EBW has been the best of those performances but I really want to hear the "plugged in" version.

With that said, Bono didn't nail it, U2 nailed it! Great performance and I thought the accompanying lighting was incredible. When Larry came on was truly a cool moment.

Great performance!

Wow. Up there with mofo and please as their best awards show performance imo.

The best to me was a Walk On at the Grammys by a mile!!

Perhaps this would make a good thread???? Top 3 televised(non concert) performances....go for it Bob.

No she isnt there. She won an award and didnt even do a thank you video

21906221_zps62139636.jpg

The best to me was a Walk On at the Grammys by a mile!!

Perhaps this would make a good thread???? Top 3 televised(non concert) performances....go for it Bob.

Oh yeah. Forgot about Walk On. That kills every other performance.

Very, VERY good press around this performance. I'm actually shocked at how positive reviews are! It looks like in terms of popular reception going with acoustic arrangements with strings was a great choice, not to mention the fact that they looked pretty badass. It was pretty great to hear the audience singing along, no?

It was pretty great to hear the audience singing along, no?

Were they? I didn't have the TV in high volume due to someone sleeping. I'll have to listen in headphones.

Back
Top Bottom