U2 at the EMA'S???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seems pretty simple to me.

The Troubles addresses ALL of the troubles referred to on the album. It's the cathartic closer for a reason because it's saying goodbye to that painful part of his life (although California would've been a great follower, the escape out of Dublin)

Totally. It's about breaking free from an abusive relationship, which could be domestic but it also could be breaking free from a then small, insular rainy nation on the edge of Europe with a colonial past and a violent present.

Sent from

I love Kite, especially the live version. That's all.

Agreed. It's everything I could ever want from 21st century U2. Wise, sad, bittersweet, expansive, soaring, adult, pain and joy, loss and gain.

I really, really hope we get this in the tour.

Sent from

Seems pretty simple to me.

The Troubles addresses ALL of the troubles referred to on the album. It's the cathartic closer for a reason because it's saying goodbye to that painful part of his life (although California would've been a great follower, the escape out of Dublin)

Yeah, that makes sense. But ending with California...I don't know if I'd want that to be in my mind when the album ends. If it started with the Miracle and ended with California I probably wouldn't have listened to it much. But it would be nice to get a U2 album that ends on a positive note, wouldn't it?

Why? Bono has stated that the song was about abuse, although he did say domestic abuse... which is the only thing keeping me from full on thinking that the two are part of one story.

The Troubles is quite clearly a survivors song.

I didn't know it was about abuse. I didn't think the lyric was so concrete.

Wow, did you really think I was serious about "Kite" being the old guy?

I don't hate Kite. It's like EBW, an okay song that for some reason is praised to the Heavens. I think Edge's guitar tone is great and Bono sings very well, and the string pad is beautiful as well. But I always thought the song itself was a tad generic sounding. And I thought this the first time I heard it back in 2000 when I was a youngster.

I knew you were kidding. Hence the laughing face....
But maybe you should listen to Kite 2006 in Australia. Amazing performance.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Totally. It's about breaking free from an abusive relationship, which could be domestic but it also could be breaking free from a then small, insular rainy nation on the edge of Europe with a colonial past and a violent present.

Sent from
I agree, but I would say more specifically it's about breaking free from an emotionally and spiritually abusive relationship rather than a physically abusive one.

Well, with regard to The Troubles, I think the point is...and it's something we can all agree on...no matter what the band has said the song is about, like any work of art, we are free to interpret in our own way. The song means different things to different people, which is part of its universality and what makes it great.

In any event, certainly among the best songs on the album.

Any U2 fan worth half their salt immediately recognizes that The Troubles is about Bono being sick and tired of historically having to play referee in the middle of all of Adam's tempestuous relationships; indeed, now that the artist formerly known as The Silver Fox is happily married off, Bono can finally sing that it's no longer his concern. Anyone who can't see this as the only acceptable interpretation is a horrible fan, a dolt in urgent need of a lobotomy, and shall be made to surrender their Crystal Ballroom Tour presale code to me. Via pm, of course.

Sent from my ass crack

Any U2 fan worth half their salt immediately recognizes that The Troubles is about Bono being sick and tired of historically having to play referee in the middle of all of Adam's tempestuous relationships; indeed, now that the artist formerly known as The Silver Fox is happily married off, Bono can finally sing that it's no longer his concern. Anyone who can't see this as the only acceptable interpretation is a horrible fan, a dolt in urgent need of a lobotomy, and shall be made to surrender their Crystal Ballroom Tour presale code to me. Via pm, of course.

Sent from my ass crack

Said with the utmost authority from the crack, the founding member of the real fan U2 fan club. :shifty:

If you play nice you, too, can get a number written in Sharpie on the back of your hand that entitles you to all sorts of neat privileges! :D

Sent from my ass crack

Oh, so you also do the GA line patrol. I'm learning. :wave:

And I'm not sure I'd even know where to start with the definition of "nice" around these parts! ;)

Oh, so you also do the GA line patrol. I'm learning. :wave:

And I'm not sure I'd even know where to start with the definition of "nice" around these parts! ;)

First stop: adjust your cynicism/sarcasm detector :wink:

I don't do the line patrol - I...participate in/submit to it, when applicable, for lack of a better system in place, I guess..

Sent from my ass crack

I agree, but I would say more specifically it's about breaking free from an emotionally and spiritually abusive relationship rather than a physically abusive one.

I'd add "psychologically abusive" as well. I agree that those concerns are much more important than violence, though the album is obsessed with violence throughout.

Sent from

Sent from my ass crack

I, um, nah.

If Bono keeps singing that song like that his voice is going to be shot by the time the tour starts.
Bullshit. It's one song. If his voice can't handle one song then they better not plan a tour at all.

Finally watched it. Bono's performance was pretty fucking out there. Some parts sounded great, however the "street" "defeat" chorus parts still SCREAM for back up vocals. I dunno bout u guys but Bono kind of scared me here, in a way I'm not sure is good or bad. He was so nuts into this song I thought he was going to stroke out or have a heart attack. It was definitely, um, interesting. But he can't sing like that every night. At least I wouldn't advise it...doesn't seem healthy. It's like he's going the John Lennon Primal Scream therapy route for a song about...waves? A teenage relationship? Doesn't seem to call for THAT much drama. "Bad" it ain't.
Well obviously he's not going to sing like that for every song, every show, all show long. However there is no reason why he can't sing like that for one song each night. AND you don't know what what it means to him so you actually have no say in what type of emotional output the song calls for so....... Bad it's not? No you're right. It's Every Breaking Wave.

The song was nearly finished 4 years ago. It was better then. It's part of the NLOTH world, and seems to have absolutely nothing to do with Songs of Innocence, other than some flimsy "me and Ali as teenagers" explanation. Honestly, you could say the song's about Adam and Larry and it would hardly make a difference.

As for Bono singing really loud, like Neutral Milk Hotel fucking loud, it doesn't seem like it's coming from the song, more just him showing off how loud and "passionate" he can sound. His screaming works in the MOS verses because it's reflecting the horror of the situation. His screaming works in Bad because...well u know why it works. Here it's got nothing to do with the song. He's just going nuts to...i dunno...prove something I guess.
What a load of shit. I don't get some of you. Now you're the authority on whether the song even belongs on SOI because it's a NLOTH era song. No they cut the song from that album so it belonged on SOI. What you're saying would be like me saying November Rain belonged on Appetite for Destruction. Yeah Bono is just showing off and using fake passion..... :doh: Bono has always put everything inot his performances and now it's suddenly bullshit to you. I also read you think Kite is overrated..... I agree with others who said maybe it's time you find different band to "enjoy"

If you find Bono is now singing with fake passion,whats the point in listening to u2 now? If you dont believe what the frontman is singing then what is the point?

Bullshit. It's one song. If his voice can't handle one song then they better not plan a tour at all.

Well obviously he's not going to sing like that for every song, every show, all show long. However there is no reason why he can't sing like that for one song each night. AND you don't know what what it means to him so you actually have no say in what type of emotional output the song calls for so....... Bad it's not? No you're right. It's Every Breaking Wave.

What a load of shit. I don't get some of you. Now you're the authority on whether the song even belongs on SOI because it's a NLOTH era song. No they cut the song from that album so it belonged on SOI. What you're saying would be like me saying November Rain belonged on Appetite for Destruction. Yeah Bono is just showing off and using fake passion..... :doh: Bono has always put everything inot his performances and now it's suddenly bullshit to you. I also read you think Kite is overrated..... I agree with others who said maybe it's time you find different band to "enjoy"

????

Hold up guys. Let's tone down the hyperbole on both sides. Telling a lifelong superfan they should move on to another band is a bit much. Ozeeko was stating an opinion on ONE performance. While I don't agree, he is entitled to that and it doesn't take away from the fact that I liked it.
I think one thing that the critics of this performance need to remember is that this was for a televised MTV performance being seen by 95% non U2 fans. Bono is nothing if not a salesman. Most performers there are worried about lipsyncing while getting their dance moves right. Others are effortless crooners like Sam smith.
Bono knew that a heart on your sleeve, from the guts performance was the way to go right now. And from the general media response it worked!
This is most likely not how the song will be on tour. He doesn't need to sell us.

Seriously though, how do you not like Kite?!?!!! That's one of their best songs ever imo. e

And it was a fantastic condom jingle...

Something
Is about to give
I can feel it coming
I think I know what it is...

And hardness
It sets in
You need some protection
The thinner the skin

:wave::angry::heart::doh::|:sexywink::applaud::wink::huh::up::down:

Pick one. That'l be my response.

I think the skepticism about his passion is interesting.

It's as if there is only one acceptable way to be emotional about the song: to be completely transformed to its origins and channel whatever impulse sparked the song. That's pretty limiting.

Can't the man legitimately get off from the pure act of performance? Or from being on a stage singing a song with his mates? Or from waiting around all day to finally sing a five minute song? Can't he be excited that he is singing a song with a smoke machine on over-drive and string ensemble?

I think there's a lot of space in between primal therapy and faking it. Performing, an act of artifice in itself, is cathartic.

I think the skepticism about his passion is interesting.

It's as if there is only one acceptable way to be emotional about the song: to be completely transformed to its origins and channel whatever impulse sparked the song. That's pretty limiting.

Can't the man legitimately get off from the pure act of performance? Or from being on a stage singing a song with his mates? Or from waiting around all day to finally sing a five minute song? Can't he be excited that he is singing a song with a smoke machine on over-drive and string ensemble?

I think there's a lot of space in between primal therapy and faking it. Performing, an act of artifice in itself, is cathartic.

I wonder if you are a performer yourself, because..This is one of your best posts ever, bravo. Bono's emotions in this exact moment may have everything, or, even, nothing to do with the origins of the song. He's in the midst of something here and it's brilliant to watch.

Sent from my ass crack

I think it speaks more about those individuals.

Actually, what speaks volumes is those who feel the need to respond to criticism of U2 with personal attacks and suggestions that fan cards be turned in. U2 is not your mother.

Hold up guys. Let's tone down the hyperbole on both sides. Telling a lifelong superfan they should move on to another band is a bit much. Ozeeko was stating an opinion on ONE performance. While I don't agree, he is entitled to that and it doesn't take away from the fact that I liked it.

:up:

Indeed, there seems to be a certain subset of "fan" here that takes any criticism of U2 personally, and so responds in personal terms...the current favourite being "Maybe it's time for you to move on from U2". And as unnecessary as a comment like this is, it's better than the personal insults that are often dolled out by people who take any criticism of U2 a little too personally. There’s no reason to throw other fans under the bus just because you disagree on a frakking performance for frak’s sake. It's possible to disagree about U2 without taking it as a personal attack, no matter how personally you may feel about U2 and their music. We are all fans here.

Now with regards to the "genuineness" of Bono's theatricality and over the top emotionalism at certain times, we can all provide our own opinions and personal anecdotes on this matter, but given that he said post-360 that on many nights he was just going through the motions, I really don't think there's much to discuss here. He's an entertainer, part of his job is to deliver a performance whether he's really "feeling it" or just, you know, putting on a show. Which again, is his job.

Actually, what speaks volumes is those who feel the need to respond to criticism of U2 with personal attacks and suggestions that fan cards be turned in. U2 is not your mother.

Except I did none of that, but yes I agree.

but given that he said post-360 that on many nights he was just going through the motions, I really don't think there's much to discuss here. He's an entertainer, part of his job is to deliver a performance whether he's really "feeling it" or just, you know, putting on a show. Which again, is his job.
What interview was this?

Back
Top Bottom