U2 at the Dandelion Market, 1979

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Alright folks, here's a bit of new old information hot off the presses.

Those of you familiar with U2's early days will probably know of the gigs U2 played at the Dandelion Market in Dublin in 1979. They helped to establish the band's reputation as a live act. Unfortunately, we don't actually know all that much about them. Pimm's book says that there were six gigs, the first in May.

Well, some further details have come to light. The guy who organised the gigs, John Fisher, has a bit of a website, and he has added an article about the shows based on his personal notes. It has a wealth of information about the gigs, not just U2, and it's pretty good reading if you've any interest in the period.

In a nutshell, U2 actually played eight gigs, not six. 12 May 1979 is the date of the first gig. The largest audience was approximately almost 600 people, to the seventh show - it was a farewell gig before the band toured London in support of U2:3. Admission was 50p, or £1 for the seventh gig. The last show was on 23 December 1979, after the band got back from London.

John Fisher's article is here: Dandelion Market

I've put up an article on U2gigs.com with some of the U2-specific Dandelion Market information, plus some other Early Days details: Extra shows - for 1979! - U2gigs.com

I know I'm not the only fan of pre-Boy U2, so I thought I'd get this news out there to the rest of you. Now let's all listen to Lost On A Silent Planet or Cartoon World or something.

Wow, 8 gigs, I had no idea. Thanks for the heads-up, gonna check this out.

Can I swap out Cartoon World for Silver Lining?

I know I'm not the only fan of pre-Boy U2, so I thought I'd get this news out there to the rest of you. Now let's all listen to Lost On A Silent Planet or Cartoon World or something.

When the reached their peak in my opinion...

I mean, how can u top Cartoon World?

"IT'S A CARTOON!"

I'll take both!

Plus we need some of The Dream Is Over.

:up::up::up::up:

Today...find my way
I met a man in gray
Yesterday

Told a story, oh
Can't bring them though
He was so

The dream is over