U2 and their mediapheme

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rattleandhumgir

The Fly
So then...for my assignement I'm a bit spoilt for choice of what video or concert performance I should analyse.

This is the question.... "Popular musicians are sometimes described as icons. Analyse a video, film or concert performance by Michael Jackson, Madonna, U2, Elvis Presley or David Bowie, showing how their mediapheme is constructed and illustrated within this example. Show how musical and visual content contribute to this construction, and evaluate what makes this an iconic performance"

So then guys I need your help...Having 9 concert DVD's to choose from, I really am spoilt for choice of what song/performance I should analyse? Any suggestions?

Cheers :D

Oh and I didn't know where to put this post, so I just thought to put it here.

"Show how musical and visual content contribute to this construction, and evaluate what makes this an iconic performance"

This Screams for ZOOtv.

I'd go with ZooTV Sydney. Everything about the stage, the performance, the entire concert experience is not only iconic for them as a band, but also for its representation of our media-driven culture.

god, why couldn't i get a question like that in high school? :sigh:

although i did work U2 into a question that had nothing to do with them for two pages and got a 100% :D

ZOO TV deserves to be the first option. Popmart could be the secondary option.

I think the ones that fit best are ZooTV and PopMart :hmm:
Maybe you could try with R&H, but the others would be easier to analyse, because they both have a clear message (imo)

Good God, what a great assignment. I honestly think I would choose David Bowie and Ziggy Stardust.

If I chose Bowie, I'd probably choose the Thin White Duke over Ziggeh... the more quiet and lethal in which he used the media strikes me as far more interesting than Ziggeh's bombast.

Back
Top Bottom